How much horse power do "I" need?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

I am looking at upgrading the power in my 06 S40 T5 FWD.

I am not a racer, and I don't do track days. what i am after is that feeling of being pushed into the drivers seat when you accelerate and if i decide to i would like to be able to lose traction when i stomp the gas.
      I don't want to upgrade the turbo if i don't need to, and i don't want to destroy my automatic transmission.
      So with this i mind can anyone tell me what sort of horsepower should I be aiming for and any recommendations on what modifications I should do?

My car is not stock:
      IPD panel filter
      Heico body kit
      Heico EVO wheels
      Heico lowered springs
      Heico rear muffler (2 1/2" inlet)
      Stainless steel braided brake lines

I have been looking at a tune to 260hp but if i need more HP for what i want i don't want to waste my money on a tune now to need to do it again after some mods.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You want Torque not Horsepower if you like the feeling of being pushed into the seat on acceleration, thats TORQUE. You'd be best with a Stage 1 tune and leave it at that if you are scared of transmission failure. Hilton tune will allow you to add stages as you add parts so you can get the Stage 1 now and then can upgrade to Stage 2 later for a reduced cost if the tune is needed.
      2011 S60 T6 Ember Black/Off Black, P* Tune, TDI-Tuning Box, DO88 Intercooler, IPD DP, Simons Sport Exhaust, IPD rear sway bar, H&R Springs, Bilstein B8's, 19" Polestar Wheels, 90mm Wheel Studs

Awesome thanks for that

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The transmission on these are strong in my experience, i wouldn't worry about your tranny failing but if you want the quicker feel i would consider doing a larger 3" intake, an upgraded transmission mount and a tune. I think even just running an open filter with your stock intake will make the car feel quicker, although it may not be faster.
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Shadow") |ELEVATE 3" Intake, 2.5" Charge Pipe, Intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, TCV, Turbosmart CBV, Turbosmart Actuator, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Enkie PDC Wheels wrapped in 225/45/18 Sentury UHP||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|"embody God, then go crazy"

I second the Hilton route. Stage 3 with meth injection-cat/o2 delete-torque limiter removed-k16 28 psi. darton MID wet sleeves-CP Carrillo custom pistons and rods-Elevate intake plenum-Elevate turbo to intercooler hard pipe-custom intake-porche 70mm throttle body- do88 intercooler-custom charge pipe-Elevate lower torque mount-upgraded 3.5” Audi MAF- BMI Direct intake-ECU relocated-NGK iridium one step colder plugs-ARP head studs-radium dual catch cans-Elevate 4 ply silicone throughout-Elevate 3” down pipe-Elevate performance exhaust(cat deleted)-Elevate lowering springs-turbosmart wastegate-Elevate Dual Bypass BOV-rear Upper adjustable camber arms-Powerflex poly throughout entire suspension-iPd HD front end links-Elevate rear sway bar-upgraded flow matched injectors-dreamscience drive shafts-Elevate turbo blanket and down pipe wrap-Vibrant performance turbo flex pipe-AEM AFR/Boost failsafe-AEM Water/meth failsafe with flow sensor-Vibrant performance bellmouth velocity stack-iPd stainless brake lines all four corners-ENEM cams. Probably forgot something but Hilton has tuned it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by paradoxicallymodified View Post
      I second the Hilton route. Stage 3 with meth injection-cat/o2 delete-torque limiter removed-k16 28 psi. darton MID wet sleeves-CP Carrillo custom pistons and rods-Elevate intake plenum-Elevate turbo to intercooler hard pipe-custom intake-porche 70mm throttle body- do88 intercooler-custom charge pipe-Elevate lower torque mount-upgraded 3.5” Audi MAF- BMI Direct intake-ECU relocated-NGK iridium one step colder plugs-ARP head studs-radium dual catch cans-Elevate 4 ply silicone throughout-Elevate 3” down pipe-Elevate performance exhaust(cat deleted)-Elevate lowering springs-turbosmart wastegate-Elevate Dual Bypass BOV-rear Upper adjustable camber arms-Powerflex poly throughout entire suspension-iPd HD front end links-Elevate rear sway bar-upgraded flow matched injectors-dreamscience drive shafts-Elevate turbo blanket and down pipe wrap-Vibrant performance turbo flex pipe-AEM AFR/Boost failsafe-AEM Water/meth failsafe with flow sensor-Vibrant performance bellmouth velocity stack-iPd stainless brake lines all four corners-ENEM cams. Probably forgot something but Hilton has tuned it all.

GOOD GOD!
      what does the car owe you?

Free up the intake and exhaust and the turbo will spool quicker giving you more punch down low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapata
      Last edited by paradoxicallymodified; 07-07-2020 at 09:30 PM.

You only need ECU spacer, downpipe, catback and upgraded intercooler. Then get something like stg 2 tune with torque limit removal.
      2005 S40 T5 AWD automatic - Hilton stage 2+ with torque limit removal. Some mods: 3" DP & 2.5" catback, Do88 FMIC, Pumaspeed inlet plenum, ECU spacer.

The torque limit removal will be very noticeable.

The torque limit removal will be very noticeable.

Yep, otherwise you are pretty much limited stock with 1st and 2nd... Not that fun.
      2005 S40 T5 AWD automatic - Hilton stage 2+ with torque limit removal. Some mods: 3" DP & 2.5" catback, Do88 FMIC, Pumaspeed inlet plenum, ECU spacer.

If you want to lose traction when you stomp on the gas then simply turn off traction control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why would you want to spin the tires? Spinning the tires means you arent doing feck all. Drag teams spend countless hours trying to get the tires to lock up. Same reason they put down chemical stickum. I am constantly looking for tires that dont spin. The 245/45/18 ContiExtreme contact 6 sport plus tires JUST hold in 1st/2nd on 75+ degree days. Wet???? Forget about it. They spin for blocks. If youre looking for push you back in the seat- it aint coming from the tires spinning.....

You're not going to get anywhere near 260hp without going full stage 3. Automatic transmission also doesn't let you have that hard pull feeling you get from M/T
      2010 s40 T5 AWD M66 a tribute to Heico's ODIN HS4

I agree on the need for more power but disagree that you need a manual to get a hard pull. Just switch off traction control use the manumatic shifting. The dual clutch gearbox is better than a manual as far as straight line power and acceleration. Same reason no lift shift is a tuning upgrade-which essentially makes it an auto with more room for error and a lot more action to achieve the same outcome. Better off just bumping the stick to shift. Dont believe it....I’ll be more than happy to take you for a ride sometime.

I agree on the need for more power but disagree that you need a manual to get a hard pull. Just switch off traction control use the manumatic shifting. The dual clutch gearbox is better than a manual as far as straight line power and acceleration. Same reason no lift shift is a tuning upgrade-which essentially makes it an auto with more room for error and a lot more action to achieve the same outcome. Better off just bumping the stick to shift. Dont believe it....I’ll be more than happy to take you for a ride sometime.

The autos on these cars is not a DCT, friend. It's a regular ol' slushbox

In that case-that sucks. Lol my old Benz was like that-lazy as hell.

The torque converter clutch locks in gears above 2 if you use the geartronic (and have enough speed), then the power is pretty direct. I think it also pulls quite nicely in the lower gears with torque multiplication. But yes generally there's delays & the transmission likes to keep higher gear and release torque converter at medium throttle which makes it feel a bit like a CVT at times - unless you use the geartronic which eliminates most of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tame View Post
      The torque converter clutch locks in gears above 2 if you use the geartronic (and have enough speed), then the power is pretty direct. I think it also pulls quite nicely in the lower gears with torque multiplication. But yes generally there's delays & the transmission likes to keep higher gear and release torque converter at medium throttle which makes it feel a bit like a CVT at times - unless you use the geartronic which eliminates most of this.
      I concur. Geartronic manual shifting. I do notice that this transmission “learns” your shift points and patterns. Definitely recommend getting the torque limiter removed. So all of the torque is available in first and second as well. If I’m cruising around or on the freeway I tend to use auto and if Im doing more performance driving Ill use the manual option.

21. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements