SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2021 XC60 start new Engine as B5/B6, "NO" more T5/T6 ?

9K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Walkabout 
#1 ·
Hi All, is starting 2021 model year, all North America XC60 will be updated with the mild-Hybrid engine as B5 which will kill the T5 ? I saw B5 now offered in Europe and Asia. Also, is T6 be replace with a B6 model and WHEN ?

My current BMW X1 lease will be done by Dec 2020, and considering between XC60 T6 or X3.

Appreciate anybody has the insight.

#2 ·
Volvo's future vision is that all models and configurations will have a battery in their powertrains. I found a Swedish article from 2017 where they aimed at phasing out the rest in 2019. Whether that happened or not, I don't know.

#3 · (Edited)
2021 XC60 start new Engine as B5/B6, "NO" more T5/T6 ?

B5 and B6 are mild hybrids and not PHEVs. Thus, inertia is used to capture and store energy in a small hybrid battery.

I assume, maybe incorrectly, that B6 is the same as the T6 but for the mild hybrid components. added to the B6. If I am correct, the T6 would still have the turbocharger and supercharger. IDK.

Best to call Volvo Customer Care and ask for certainty.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8

#4 ·
Hi All, is starting 2021 model year, all North America XC60 will be updated with the mild-Hybrid engine as B5 which will kill the T5 ? I saw B5 now offered in Europe and Asia. Also, is T6 be replace with a B6 model and WHEN ?

My current BMW X1 lease will be done by Dec 2020, and considering between XC60 T6 or X3.

FYI T5 and T6 models in most EU markets not exist for more than 6 months, and since two months ago, the D4 and B4 Mild-Hybrid Diesel models are no longer on offer.
Only diesel remained B5 Mild-Hybrid Diesel with 235HP

My choice would definitely be the X3. Good luck in your choice

#13 ·
FYI T5 and T6 models in most EU markets not exist for more than 6 months, and since two months ago, the D4 and B4 Mild-Hybrid Diesel models are no longer on offer.
Only diesel remained B5 Mild-Hybrid Diesel with 235HP
Umm.. not true, and not true. "B" mild hybrids were introduced in EU with MY19 vehicles - so over a year ago now. Both D4 and B4 diesels are offered in UK, France, Germany,..

#5 · (Edited)

I can't comment on this issue but I came very close to the X3.

The big problem in that vehicle was the seats. The bolsters on the bottom are super narrow. My thighs were mad at me immediately after the test drive. I couldn't live with those seats over the long haul. Check out bimmerfest and other forums and you'll see numerous threads on seating comfort.

It's also not a particularly fast car. I'd call the power "adequate" and not in the same league as the T6.

The interior had a few annoying cheap touches, hard plastic where I would expect soft touch surfaces.

And the overboasted eps makes you feel like your hands are covered in condoms while driving. Insanely numb.

Otherwise, I frankly found it superior to the Volvo in terms of vehicle dynamics and the newest versions of iDrive make a lot more sense to me than SENSUS. The X3 corners better AND rides more smoothly than the XC60 (not an easy twofer to hit).

Power, interior quality, seating comfort, visibility, styling go to the Volvo.
Handling, ride quality, infotainment to the BMW.

If you can live with the BMW seats, I'd probably recommend the X3 over the XC60.

I do love my Volvo though and will lease another. I love the XC60 about as much as I loved my last BMW. It's really a hoot to drive and own.

#7 ·
My co-worker has an M40i and really likes it though I think that's probably in a different league price wise and performance wise to the T6.

#8 ·
Loaded version of that vehicle goes for about $80,000. You could get a T6 inscription with basically every option checked for about $25,000 less. The M40i also gets 14 mpg epa in the city.

Personally, I think the base X3 is pretty damn nice for most people's needs anyway.

#12 · (Edited)
It's the decision of someone from Sweden, probably the marketing department

This is not just the case with Volvo
Audi has new designations 35, 40, 45, 50, 55TDI/TFSI

Or BMW that used to have 320, 330 markings, the difference was 2000cc or 3000cc , today they use the same markings and the engines are 2000 cubic cm

#16 ·
I'd still want my next lease to be a Wolwo XC60!

Sounds like the car the minister for the wedding on the Princess Bride would drive. "Wove...true wove.."

#18 ·
The "B" series of 48v mild hybrids will not be coming to North America in MY21. The designations will be the same, T5, T6, etc.

#19 ·
cdauerer - are there any significant changes anticipated for the XC60 line (before the SPA2, that is)? Will we see a significant model refresh in 21 or 22?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.