Trunk won’t open even using emergency release
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

We just got a new to us 2008 S40. The trunk release button makes a noise but won’t open. My daughter climbed through and got it open once using the emergency release. Now it won’t open even using the emergency release. There is nothing stuck in the latch.

I read a lot of the time the wires break in the wiring harness, but that doesn’t seem to be our issue. I’d assume if the wires were broken I wouldn’t hear the latch “clicking” when I press it. Any advice on what to do now?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Have you tried pressing down on the trunk while she pulls the release cable? If that doesn't work it's going to be a big pain to get at the latch to open. Sounds like something is broken/snapped/seriously out of alignment, either way.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

I did try to push and pull on the trunk lid while she pulled the cable. She even tried pushing up, too. I was hoping to avoid an expensive repair.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

It's a huge pain the arse but to get it open you need to get into the trunk, remove the panel from the inside upper surface (which is held on by a zillion pop clips), then disconnect the connector and unscrew the latch from the lid. At that point you'll be able to open it and fix or replace the latch.

There might possibly be a secret little hole you can poke something into to open it, but I don't have an S40. Maybe someone here can say, if so.

It could be worse, you could have a V50. Getting that open is an even bigger pain in the arse.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

If pulling the lever/cable from the inside doesn't work I'm not sure what's going on. Is she pulling the handle for the emergency release in the correct direction to maximize the pull? It's a simple mechanical latch I've never heard of that failing.
      2010 s40 T5 AWD M66 a tribute to Heico's ODIN HS4

What happened to the release? You said you used it once. If I recall, that’s not electronic, it’s a cable that goes directly to the latch. Did that snap when you used it? Sometimes you need to “push” the cable back in to “reset” the latch.
      Barents Blue Metallic S40 T5 AWD M66 Manual

Thank you all for the input. We have figured out the problem. I had a friend help me, we took the panel off and he messed around with the latch and we were able to finally get it open. He took the trunk latch off and when he shook it there was a small piece rattling around in there. He disassembled the latch and there is a plastic corkscrew type piece that releases the latch. A large chunk of that corkscrew was broken off. That explains why she was able to use the cable to manually release the trunk once but not again. She just so happened to be in a spot where it wasn't broken off.

I will be ordering a new trunk latch and that will fix the problem. Hope this helps other who might have this problem eventually with their trunks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddietcoke View Post
      Thank you all for the input. We have figured out the problem. I had a friend help me, we took the panel off and he messed around with the latch and we were able to finally get it open. He took the trunk latch off and when he shook it there was a small piece rattling around in there. He disassembled the latch and there is a plastic corkscrew type piece that releases the latch. A large chunk of that corkscrew was broken off. That explains why she was able to use the cable to manually release the trunk once but not again. She just so happened to be in a spot where it wasn't broken off.

I will be ordering a new trunk latch and that will fix the problem. Hope this helps other who might have this problem eventually with their trunks.
      I’ve been into P1s for about 4 years now. That’s a new one. Someone must have abused it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Barents Blue Metallic S40 T5 AWD M66 Manual

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements