SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Another weird coolant issue

627 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  UT OLI 
#1 ·
On the black 2.4 S70. Was loosing coolant. Saw some coolant crust and water around the temp sensor. Replaced upper rad hose and T-stat and its now dry. Im still losing Coolant and its escaping from the res Cap (i swapped the cap from my S70 and i still does the same thing). The tank and cap are OEM and 6 months old. After refilling all seems fine on idle warm up, then when driving the light will come for a bit and then go off. Last night when i shut it down the tank was about 1/4 full. When i looked at it this morning it was empty. When i unscrewed the cap there a big pressure release and the coolant came rushing back into the resevoir at the 1/4 full again. Fan works fine, not overheating, no smoke or milky oil. Tbelt and pump were done 1.5 yrs ago with quality parts from FCP. Im gonna purchase a combustion leak detector today. Almost seems like a Vapor lock or something. Any ideas ?

#2 ·
If you can do a coolant pressure test when cold you may find your leak easier. I had an unfindable leak because the occasional drip was right onto the exhaust so there was no trace besides smell for years. We did a cold pressure test and found it immediately.

#3 ·
Damn it !! Used the leak tester and it allowed me draw in air and blue fluid turned yellow after 5 seconds. Bad head gasket at only 133K. I did read these cars can still run well with a bad HG. But no milky oil or smoke ? I'm not willing to do a HG job on this car. Its just not worth it. Or replace the engine because this car is not that special. I guess i will keep an eye on the coolant and run it into the ground for now.

#4 ·
You can loose coolant but not milkshake or consume oil. That’s what happened to mine.

Why not do a HG? If the head checks out flat, clean it up and throw it backtogether.

#5 ·
Mmmmm, might be worth checking. Considering im not working due to covid and do have the time. I guess if its shot, it would end up at the JY anyways. Im first gonna trust but verify the test kit. Tomorrow i will run the same test on my S70 and S60.

#6 ·
Just curious: would a small HG failure like this show up in a compression test?

#7 ·
Not sure, i didn't run compression tests. But that 47.00 leak detection kit worked well. I did the same test on The other S70 this AM and the liquid stayed blue, meaning no leaks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.