Left sunroof open -- HELP
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Left sunroof open -- HELP

Posted this elsewhere but thought it might be more relevant in the vehicle forum since other models or versions of my car might have different layout that might change recommendations.

I left my sunroof open and got hit by a storm. The footwells were pretty wet. I wiped, shop vac'd, cleaned the seats, and dehumidified. On starting, some warnings would pop up -- On call, auto brake, abs. The car functioned fine -- i drove it on a few errands (though those features were not active).

Fast forward a few more days -- I thought maybe a fuse popped from something shorting, so I tried opening up the panel under the dash. I checked out a few fuses I thought might be related to the problem. They looked ok to me.

Today, I started the car up and rapid horn honking occurs (not with any particular rythm). I noticed I hadn't reattached the wire to the SIM card box (i think that's what it is). I reattached and started the car again. Same result. Not sure what could have caused the car to go from starting and functioning for the most part to blaring horn anytime it is on -- but it doesn't seem like the water would be the culprit as it had been a week since the car got wet and it operated the same day after day until I touched the fuse box.

Wondering if anyone know what causes the horn to do that. Any ideas to resolve my issue? I have a friend who is going to hook it to a computer this weekend to see what codes are reading and try clearing them to see if it helps at all. Really hoping to avoid a service visit -- especially as I'd probably need it towed in at this point.
      Last edited by flamingoezz; 07-17-2020 at 09:51 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If you had standing water in the footwells and didn't remove the carpet, any number of wiring harnesses could be corroded by this point (even from fresh water).

Have a tech look at it and run diagnostics. Sounds like an insurance claim.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

I would run a portable dehumidifier inside the car for a day or two to help dry everything out.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I did dehumidify for 10 hours or so. Also ran the AC a couple hours to help dry things out early on.

Is there a wiring diagram or does anyone know where harnesses would be that I should look for? Would they all be in footwells? Any in the center console? Any that wire up directly to the horn in those locations?

I really doubt insurance will cover this...

I wife's XC60 got water logged. we found a door seal and sunroof drain clogged. You have to remove ALL the carpet, seat.... and have a fan blowing inside. There are modules under the passenger seat. Most likely, they got wet. I had to file a claim. The Module under the seat had to be replaced. Damages... over 2K with labor.

Thanks, this is helpful. the modules under the seat -- were they under carpet or just tucked under the seat? If the former, I'm sure they got wet.

Do you know if both passenger and driver side have these modules? Did you have the same issue with the horn after the water damage?

Was your xc60 2018 or newer?

Quote Originally Posted by RYJS60 View Post
      I wife's XC60 got water logged. we found a door seal and sunroof drain clogged. You have to remove ALL the carpet, seat.... and have a fan blowing inside. There are modules under the passenger seat. Most likely, they got wet. I had to file a claim. The Module under the seat had to be replaced. Damages... over 2K with labor.

If there is any sense of moisture remaining, run the on-board dehumidifier (AC) with the recirc enabled, and all vents open and fans on full tilt There is no more effective way to draw the moisture out of the car. We own a portable dehumidifier, and it works well in the house. It is an AC unit in a case, but it doesn't move as much air as your vehicle interior gear is capable of. Just mind the recirc setting (some are time-limited). No point in dehydrating the great outdoors.
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

Below the front passenger seat is a B&W amplifier, and under the front passenger's feet is a Volvo telematics module in the passenger side kick.

Some models have the option for sunroof to close automatically when the rain sensor detects rain
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      Below the front passenger seat is a B&W amplifier, and under the front passenger's feet is a Volvo telematics module in the passenger side kick.

Some models have the option for sunroof to close automatically when the rain sensor detects rain
      I wish all cars with sunroof and rain sensor do this. It is just basic safety for the car itself.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 237240 miles [2020-07]

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      I wish all cars with sunroof and rain sensor do this. It is just basic safety for the car itself.

I agree, I remember the pragmatic challenge here was coming up with a solution that doesn't accidentally drain the battery. I remember a few years ago Elon Musk said Tesla was working on this for their panoramic roof, but to my knowledge it's still not implemented. This is pretty nuts since Teslas already have "sentry mode" and also rely on the cameras to detect rain instead of a normal rain sensor.

I believe the legal challenge is if the sunroof automatically closes after a few hours, it could trap a pet or something in the car.

I believe BMWs have an auto-close function with a rain sensor. Also, IIRC if a sunroof is left open beyond a set number of hours, it will also close as well (again not in the USA though).

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      I absolutely agree with you

It is strange that on some models of BMW, VW, Audi it is a standard option, and on some you can enable it with special software.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

I would see if anything on the floor panels can be removed for inspection. There are a lot of installation guides for Volvo accessories/options that can be useful.

For example, this one for the rear camera shows how some of the 1st & 2nd row floor panels can be removed. It also shows a module under the passenger seat of the 1st row. I would inspect these areas (steps 22-24, 37-39, 44,
      https://accessories.volvocars.com/en.../VCC-461642-29
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

I'm not sure if there are any modules under the driver. I have not looked. The water in my wife's XC60 was isolated to the passenger side. My XC60 is a 2011. She did not have the issue with the horn. The issue we had was, with the Cell phone and audio part of it. We had no audio coming out at all. neither from the radio / ipod. or Cell phone. The cell phone would not connect. You may have the alarm module under one of the seats. My mechanic, removed the seat, all the carpeting, and had a fan blowing for a couple of days. It's pretty amazing how thick the carpet is. A dehumidifier will not dry them out.

A dehumidifier will not dry them out.
      Folks don't understand the extent of water damage and, as shown above, think a dehumidifier and time will fix anything. Everyone is an expert behind their keyboard.

It's the same in a house - you have to open up the walls to dry-out water damage. Dehumidifiers do very little for trapped water.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

Yeah you definitely need to remove the carpets to properly dry everything.

Thanks for the comments. I took out the front carpets -- and there was definitely still some water in there under a layer of foam. I cleaned that all out, blew some compressed air into any harnesses I could access, and propped up the carpet to let it air out a bit. Some progress -- the horn stopped blaring at startup. I still get a bunch of errors however, and a minute or so after i start it, my car decides to dial on call thinking i've been in an accident.

i'm going to give it a day or two to air out and see if it gets any better. If no further progress, I'll take out the rear carpets too to see what's going on there. Good thing we're in a quarantine. I can take my time with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post

You should get a fan blowing also, if you can. The phone module was, what got damaged in mine. That module, may need to be replaced.

I removed the carpet and dried things out a couple days with the windows open.

A buddy hooked it up to a computer to see what was up -- 15 codes originally. Down to 7 with cleaning up water. I was having issues with it calling on call when I started the car -- probably due to the seats being removed and thinking I was in an accident. That put it into a safe mode where flashers ran and I couldn't start or turn off the hazards. Eventually the battery died, and now trying to jump start it, I'm having no luck.

Hoping the battery just died and its not something worse...Any other reason it wouldn't jump? Anything about that safe mode that would disable things?

Supposed to rain tonight and I don't want to be back at square one, with my windows stuck open, so could use some ideas (quickly)

It should start without seats. You'll have an SRS light but it should start.

Get a tarp, and cover her up...

Ya, I tarped it up. Hoping i can get it started over the next couple days to see if drying it out helped at all.

I pulled the carpets back up to see if I unplugged anything in reassembly that might have affected it getting power -- don't see anything.

Get a tarp, and cover her up...

Even if it doesn't start, hooking up for a jump should have enough power to get the windows up. Might have to charge the battery overnight.

Is it still the case that if you disconnect the battery before removing the seats that you will not get an SRS light? I have had the sunroof drain problem with my C30, removed the seats and carpets, it took days to fully dry them out. It sounds counter intuitive but dry them with the carpet facing up or at tilted so the water escapes the foam; the carpet is waterproof at the interface with the foam, if you dry them upside down the water in the foam collects at the carpet interface.

Quote Originally Posted by azide999 View Post
      Is it still the case that if you disconnect the battery before removing the seats that you will not get an SRS light? I have had the sunroof drain problem with my C30, removed the seats and carpets, it took days to fully dry them out. It sounds counter intuitive but dry them with the carpet facing up or at tilted so the water escapes the foam; the carpet is waterproof at the interface with the foam, if you dry them upside down the water in the foam collects at the carpet interface.
      As long as the key isn't turned on with the seats removed, you won't get an SRS light even if you remove them with the battery connected. Technically you should disconnect it anyway though..

Good luck, I'm waiting for the outcome of all this. I hope you don't have a lot of damage.
      Last edited by RYJS60; 07-23-2020 at 07:07 PM.

Good luck, I'm waiting for the outcome of all this. I hope you don't have a lot of damage.
      Thanks -- I'm pretty much resigned to taking it in to the dealer at this point -- unless there is a fuse or something that might limit ability of the battery..

I tried jumping the car with another set of cables and with another vehicle. Something is keeping the car from even powering up now. The car has been dry for several days, so I don't think it's a short of some sort. Either something came unplugged or some fuse blew. Any ideas?

Otherwise I'll have it towed in -- do you know if roadside assistance would cover that? It's a 2018 so I think I'd still have that available. Any suggestions for getting insurance to cover it? or getting volvo to take some leniency with me? ha! Gotta see if I have any service coupons laying around.

IMHO every day you're leaving the car without proper caring you're just making things worse.
      If I were you I'd take it to volvo, asap.
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo S60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

did you re-install the seats? confirm that you have all the connectors in place (connected) I would try, disconnecting the battery, wait a few minutes, and see if anything happens. Not sure if this is so..... it almost sounds like the alarm won't turn off, and won't allow you to start the car. My insurance covered everything, except the door molding that was damaged, and allowed the water in.

Do you have / get the extended warranty?

Yes, seats were reinstalled.

The car went into a safe mode the last time I started it without the seats. the battery was almost dead at that point, so I let it run down.

I put everything back together figuring I could jump it and since everything was dried it would be somewhat better than it was before...i was wrong. I'll try to unplug the battery -- thanks!

What type of insurance did you have? Just paid deductible?

did you re-install the seats? confirm that you have all the connectors in place (connected) I would try, disconnecting the battery, wait a few minutes, and see if anything happens. Not sure if this is so..... it almost sounds like the alarm won't turn off, and won't allow you to start the car. My insurance covered everything, except the door molding that was damaged, and allowed the water in.

I have allstate. I forget what they call it now... I did not have to pay the deductible. it's not considered an accident.. per say. it's not a collision. so it did not have a bad affect on my insurance.

Any updates on your car?

I have allstate. I forget what they call it now... I did not have to pay the deductible. it's not considered an accident.. per say. it's not a collision. so it did not have a bad affect on my insurance.
      I think you are talking about Comprehensive coverage.
      Hers: 2019 S60 T5 R-Design FWD | Pebble Gray / Charcoal, Napa Leather | 18” R-Design Wheels | Heated Seats and Steering Wheel | Rubber Floor Mats

His: 2018 V90 T5 R-Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R-Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

Yes, correct.

any updates on your car? pls don't leave us hanging

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements