Passenger footwell water leak
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Passenger footwell water leak

I know this has been discussed in the passed in other threads across this forum and they all usually lead to the sunroof drain being clogged! but this doesn't seem to be the case for me and I'm kinda stuck and don't know how to solve this issue. My car is an MY05 S60 with the sunroof if that helps.

The issue:

Three weeks ago after a heavy storm I noticed my passenger footwell carpet was wet (it looked like it leaked from the top right of the passenger footwell on to my rubber mat) and my rubber floor mat had water on it. The first thing that came to my mind was the dreaded sunroof drain was clogged So I brought my car to my mechanic who took an air compressor with a hose to clear the clog and I thought that solved the issue but it didn't After another rain fall I noticed again that my carpet on the passenger side was wet (same place mentioned above) and my rubber floor mat had water on it. So I thought that my mechanic didn't unclog it properly so I decided to try unclogging it myself but before doing that I wanted to confirm that it was indeed the sunroof drain that was the culprit, so I bought 3/8 transparent tube and used a funnel to test the drain. I emptied about one liter of water and all of it was emptied on the pavement behind the passenger front wheel and there was no water in the footwell so that points to the sunroof drain not being clogged. So my next test was the drain in the windshield cowl on the right side, again emptied about one liter of water and it drain under the car with no sign of water in the passenger footwell. At this point I have no idea where the water is coming from and decided to remove the passenger carpet and see whats going on behind it. When removing the carpet I noticed only part of the carpet had a water stain on it which was the top right and bottom right of it, so it seems to be coming from just where the glove box ends under the dash. So I don't know what do to next, for now I have the carpet removed and will be waiting the next time it rains to keep an eye on where the water is coming from. If anyone has experienced a similar issue and solved it please let me know what caused your leak!

Thanks
      Last edited by Sean1491; 07-19-2020 at 04:13 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If the carpet is out, tape colored construction paper around the upper part of the foot well. Construction paper will discolor when wet. It will help trace where the leak might be coming from.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      2007 Volvo V70 2.5T - Mine
      2008 Nissan Titan SE 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Bed - Also Mine
      2012 Toyota Camry LE, 2.4 - Wife's
      2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0 - Daughter #1
      2010 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2.5 - Daughter #2

Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
      If the carpet is out, tape colored construction paper around the upper part of the foot well. Construction paper will discolor when wet. It will help trace where the leak might be coming from.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      Thanks Exocet I'll do that!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I had a replacement windshield leak into the rf floorboard in a 01 v70 - was leaking at the bottom edge and water ended up the the floorboard somehow. Try running water on just the lower edge of the windshield to see if thats where its coming from

This happened to me a few years ago and I solved it. It was the horn that covers the blower motor. You will have to remove the wiper arms and the cowel to access it. The water is coming into the blower and running into the cabin. I fixed mine by taking out the horn and cleaning the mating sufraces on the horn and steel body under it. Then I silicone caulked both surfaces and put the horn back in with a homemade hat made from a coolant bottle rivited to the hat. It worked and still works.
      This wasn't my idea. I found it somewhere on forums. I can't remember where though.

I had a similar problem with my 02. Remove the wiper arms and cowel. Water was running down the windshield and into a gap between the windshield and cowel, then going into the blower motor opening then down to the footwell.
      Fixed it by silicone caulking the joint between windshield edge and cowel. Now water just runs over the cowel and into the drain holes then out of the car. Cheap and easy fix. Hardest part is getting the wipers off.
      Use a rubber mallet and give them a few whacks to free them up.
      2013 XC60 T6
      2008 C30 T5 R-Design
      2002 S60 T5M: the daily commuter slayer
      Past: 2007 XC70 Orca, 1999 V70 5sp, 2010 Mazda5, 2000 Audi A4 Avant 5sp, 1990 VW Fox 4sp

I'm in Canada so my wiper arms are completely stuck, can only remove them with a puller - if this happens, just stop by a garage and ask them to put a small wiper arm puller on them. Smacking a very stuck wiper can damage the wiper linkage underneath

As others said, look again under the windshield cowl, at the foam around the air intake for the cabin blower, I had a problem with this foam sagging. Also pull the cabin blower drain hose from under the blower, make sure it's unclogged. May also check the rear blower screws, sometimes people break the rear screw tab or just don't put the screw back in place, so the bottom of the blower is no longer water tight (may just silicone the bottom of the blower) https://youtu.be/rzpaJ4ulRic

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements