SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

XC90 vs Q7

10K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  Heimdall 
#1 ·
I currently drive a 2013 Q7 with the 3.0 Supercharged V6 and am considering a 2016-2018 XC90.

Has anyone owned or driven a 2011-2015 non-TDI Q7 recently? And if so, can you tell me how the power/torque is on the XC90 vs the Q7? I LOVE the interior of the XC90 and have sat in so it's a 'win' there so really, I'm just curious about the handling, power, and overall reliability. Any insights would be much appreciated!

#2 · (Edited)
I currently drive a 2013 Q7 with the 3.0 Supercharged V6 and am considering a 2016-2018 XC90.

Has anyone owned or driven a 2011-2015 non-TDI Q7 recently? And if so, can you tell me how the power/torque is on the XC90 vs the Q7? I LOVE the interior of the XC90 and have sat in so it's a 'win' there so really, I'm just curious about the handling, power, and overall reliability. Any insights would be much appreciated!
I have not driven a Q7 at all.

Nonetheless, are you looking for feedback on:
- T8 (400 combined hp, PHEV; 87 hp electric + 313 hp, turbo/supercharged);
- T6 AWD (313 hp, turbo/supercharged);
- T5 FWD (250 hp, turbo only);
- T5 AWD (250 hp, turbo only); or
- all of the above?

FWIW. I have the MY16 XC90 Inscription T8 and love it. Handling, power and torque are all fine with me. Reliability has been quite well after the initial 18 months teething issues, mostly software. I have had two check engine lights - both software/ghost errors; one air suspension (fuse), and for T8 only, two ERAD and HVCH issues.

I would have no problem buying a MY16 XC90 T8 with CPO although I would honestly lean towards a MY18 with CPO due to larger hybrid battery and larger fuel tank - based on your question.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8

#3 ·
I have not driven a Q7 at all.

Nonetheless, are you looking for feedback on:
- T8 (400 combined hp, PHEV; 87 hp electric + 313 hp, turbo/supercharged);
- T6 AWD (313 hp, turbo/supercharged);
- T5 FWD (250 hp, turbo only); o
- all of the above?

FWIW. I have the MY16 XC90 Inscription T8 and love it. Handling, power and torque are all fine with me. Reliability has been quite well after the initial 18 months teething issues, mostly software. I have had two check engine lights - both software/ghost errors; one air suspension (fuse), and for T8 only, two ERAD and HVCH issues.

I would have no problem buying a MY16 XC90 T8 with CPO although I would honestly lean towards a MY18 with CPO due to larger hybrid battery and larger fuel tank - based on your question.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8
Thanks for this - I am specifically looking at the T6 AWD Trim only.

#4 ·
Hi. Just me 2 cents here. No experience with Audi Q7. I switched to VOLVO from BMWs last one was X5. Currently in XC 90 T6 AWD. Love it. I took T5 for a test drive, that didn’t impress me at all. T6 makes all the difference make sure to select DYNAMIC mode on your test drive you’ll be surprised what 2.0 engine can do with a such a big vehicle. You could also add polestar later for extra torque and power. Good luck.

#5 ·
I would skip and either go T8 or Q7
I have both at home now and I can tell you, since you’re driving one now, the lack of power in a T6 will be very noticeable for you.
That being said and other then few annoyances, the XC90 in general is a great well equipped vehicle at base trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#23 ·
I would skip and either go T8 or Q7
I have both at home now and I can tell you, since you're driving one now, the lack of power in a T6 will be very noticeable for you.
That being said and other then few annoyances, the XC90 in general is a great well equipped vehicle at base trim.

See a review on teh T6 w/ Polestar...the difference between the Q7 and T6 is a mere 0,4 secs...Nobody, in reviews, is accusing the XC90 as having "lack of power"...

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/10/08/2020-volvo-xc90-t6-r-design-review/

#6 ·
I have a 2013 S5. From my limited experience, my audi is way more reliable than my Volvo, if this is something you care about. My S5 is problem free, tuned, and currently has 80K miles. My Volvo got CEL twice, the recent one is a supercharger seal leak and would've cost $2000+ without a warranty, and it only has 26K miles. If you buy a XC90 I'd suggest a extended warranty.
Also my Audi delivers power much smoother than my Volvo.
The reason I bought this Volvo is because my wife likes the look. Otherwise I'd get a CPO X5M or Cayenne Turbo for the same money.

#8 ·
If you buy either, go with the extended warranty or CPO. We drove a nice 2015 Q7 before buying a Volvo and weren't impressed. We have a 2017 and a 2020, both T6 Inscriptions. We've had to use the extended warranty on the 2017 (new long block engine).

My father in law has a 2019 Q8, which arguably is comparable to the 2020 Q7. It has less road noise even with the 22 inch wheels. But also has insulated glass, which is not available in the US for the XC90'S (minus the Excellence, which was discontinued anyways). Volvo's Inscription seats are more comfortable, if that means anything.

The Q8's ridiculous and unsafe throttle lag is insane (which includes the current Q7's). 2-3 second loss of all throttle consistently after slowing towards a stop, coasting, and then accelerating. This is the biggest gripe of the Q8. Also, the new Audi's cause sensory overload. There's way too much going on with their dash and controls. I never thought I'd believe that Volvo's spotty infotainment system would be considered "simplistic" compared to any other vehicle. But Audi went way overboard with their new design.

For reference, here's a photo of the Audi TSB for the throttle lag.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Definitely not interested in the T5 (I need AWD for the winters) and the T8 is too pricey. So T6 is the only option for me.

How does the T6 handle in the snow? It's a tall SUV - is there a lot of body roll? I personally don't like SUV's (more of a wagon guy, I WISH they would bring back the V70R) but with two kids and a large dog, it's super convenient.

#11 ·
Definitely not interested in the T5 (I need AWD for the winters) and the T8 is too pricey. So T6 is the only option for me.

How does the T6 handle in the snow? It's a tall SUV - is there a lot of body roll? I personally don't like SUV's (more of a wagon guy, I WISH they would bring back the V70R) but with two kids and a large dog, it's super convenient.
Why not look at the V90 T6? Sounds like it would meet your needs and would also have AWD. The V90 is sublime and you could also get it in V90CC guise which raises it up a few inches. In the 90 series none are FWD except the T8 models if you consider it's FWD, RWD, and AWD depending on what mood or conditions suit you :).

As for snow, XC90 are amazing in snow. We've got lots of experience with them in snow as deep as 40" and highly recommend them and especially unstoppable with the right tires.

Just a couple of weeks ago climbing a forest trail ~15% incline over 12"+ of crusty snow.

The T6 models will have a BorgWarner Haldex system vs. our T8's eAWD. They're both pretty solid and well tuned by Volvo. Oh and we comfortably and safely tow with ours through the white stuff and over mountains.

#12 ·
I LOVE the V90 T6 but got too used to the 3rd row seat and space of the Q7. If Audi brings the RS6 Avant here or Volvo introduces the V90R - I will dump any SUV for either of those. But until then I'm relegated to cars that can seat 7. Tough choices.

#16 ·
If I understand well, than it would be possible, provided that the T5 is to your liking,
to configure a T5 AWD in Momentum trim and add options until the car has what
you want. Perhaps even important, you can then also avoid to have features you
don't like or don't want to pay for. This is the reasoning that we followed when we
ordered our XC90. Of course all this is only relevant if you order a factory built car.
I wonder what the logic is of offering Momentum and R-Design but not Inscription.
Perhaps the Momentum is (mostly) intended to offer a lower entry price?

#18 ·
When i was looking for a car i tested the q7 as well, but of course i ended to a volvo
Few comments. Audi may have a better riding quality and be more sportive , however if you are looking for space the 3 rd row is a joke( better than the lexus rxl though)
Besides the driving feel i think volvo excels in all the other aspects

#30 ·
When we were thinking about buying an XC70 in 2003, which would be our first wagon, I was concerned
about the safety of our dog in case of a severe collision.
The reply I got from Volvo was that the boot area of the XC70 is a safety cell and not a crumple zone.
They told me that the frame has a "weak zone" at the C-pilar so the car would "fold up" there to absorb
the energy of a rear-end or chain collision. This weak zone was designed to keep everyone in the car safe
while allowing the energy of a collision to be absorbed. This construction was possible because volvo
wagons aren't "reshaped" saloons, but wagons by design.

#31 · (Edited)
Yup. I've experienced that in both our V40 and 2017 XC90. V40 was rear ended by an S60 which was great. XC90 by a Mazda 3 wagon. The Mazda 3 was totaled and XC90 had no frame or body damage. It just needed rear parts replaced including the tow bar and the metal tabs that the bumper cover uses to help it hold its shape.

On our V40 the crush box under the floor took the hit and there was no damage to the C pillar.

In spite of that, it doesn't change the likelihood that in a rear end collision anyone facing rear in a trundle seat will get glass in their face and a harder impact absorbed by seatbelts and knees followed by the seat back. The bigger worry with a trundle seat is really getting the knees instead of airbags in the face/head given the seating position with the foot well not being as deep as in a forward facing position. My son's had a concussion by going over a cliff skiing through fog and his cheek bones landing on his knees. His helmet didn't even touch the snow until he laid back. An impact from a collision would be far worse with knees positioned closer to the face like in a trundle seat. One of the reasons Volvo discontinued them in the early 90s.

#35 ·

Have XC90 T6 R-Design with Polestar. Also have Audi 2018 SQ5. Hands down the SQ5 motor/transmission dynamics are better than the XC90. 90 has decent power, but is buzzy at times and has okay shift points at best. I knew this going in so it wasn't a deal killer for me. Don't get me wrong, the 4 banger has decent power. Holds 80 on the highway just fine and pulls our AZ hills really well. I also love the air suspension of the Volvo, handles great. Zipping along at 70 plus in mountain grades/curves, XC feels planted/confident and pulls just fine. It doesn't feel/handle like you'd expect , we had a highlander before this. I swear you could feel every pound of that vehicle going around corners, felt like a lumbering cow. Volvo feels much more sporty, almost on par with my SQ5.

As much as I love my SQ, the XC90 beats it in the looks/styling department as well.

#39 ·
I was and still to a certain extent am an Audi fanboy but am quickly becoming a convert. As @VolvoUhu said in a different thread...the Q7 feels like a lumbering pig compared to the T6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.