SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Loud clunk, wipers turn on, rear door ajar light turns on...Help!

378 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  trollins 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 Volvo V70R. When we go on long trips there have been a couple times that my car has made a loud clunk (almost like you've ran something over) the windshield wipers will do one cycle, the dome light will turn on and the DIM will say drivers door ajar. It's very frightening at high speeds. The first time it did this my husband continued to drive about 2-3 miles until we could get to an exit. We were afraid to turn off the car, but we opened and closed the rear door, the dome light went off and continued driving.

Another time it happened, we continued driving and about 10 minutes after it doing the problem described above it made another clunk, the dome light shut off and the door ajar light went off.

Yesterday it happened again but not on a long trip. It was about 90 degrees yesterday, my husband drove off and about 10 minutes into his drive the same thing happened. It sets multiple codes, all we have to do is reset the codes and it's fine.

Is it heat related?

I noticed my battery is 8 years old, and while scanning the car yesterday having the key on and door opened for about 5-10 minutes I got a message the battery was low, could this be causing the problem?

My husband and I are at a loss.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.