OEM Foldable Hitch Receiver Height
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

OEM Foldable Hitch Receiver Height

For those of you with the OEM foldable hitch, can you tell me how high off the ground is the base of the receiver? Apologies if this is answered elsewhere; I’ve searched for the answer to no avail.

The reason I ask is I need to tow a trailer with an unusually high tongue/coupler height (24 inches from the ground). I’m concerned given the low placement of the OEM receiver under the bumper that doing so will be difficult, if not impossible, even with a height-adjustable hitch.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hey, sorry I just noticed your public post. I had tried replying to your PM but you have receiving PMs disabled.

Here you go: I have air suspension. With it set in the default Hybrid mode which should be the same height as for Constant AWD the top of the receiver sits at 16". With the included ball, the top of the ball is at 20". Here are some pictures for your reference to help.

I hope this helps.
      Last edited by VolvoUhu; 07-28-2020 at 11:27 PM.
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Sold in 2018: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

This is super helpful. If I need my ball to be about 2" lower - i.e. 17.5 or 18" above ground - will I need to buy a totally different ball attachment? I'm very new to hitches, but the trailer I'm about to buy requires 17-19" height. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoUhu View Post
      Hey, sorry I just noticed your public post. I had tried replying to your PM but you have receiving PMs disabled.

Here you go: I have air suspension. With it set in the default Hybrid mode which should be the same height as for Constant AWD the top of the receiver sits at 16". With the included ball, the top of the ball is at 20". Here are some pictures for your reference to help.

I hope this helps.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by warrigal View Post
      This is super helpful. If I need my ball to be about 2" lower - i.e. 17.5 or 18" above ground - will I need to buy a totally different ball attachment? I'm very new to hitches, but the trailer I'm about to buy requires 17-19" height. Thank you.
      Probably not - try to hook it up and see how it rests. If you have air suspension you also have the advantage of adjusting the height. Try it in Dynamic (if you have a T6) or Power (if you have a T8) which will give you lower ride height. The other advantage of the air suspension is it's great at keeping the whole car level once loaded much like the old Nivomat struts on old XC90 with R-Design. But I would start with it in the default mode and height to see how it settles once you've hooked up your trailer. Plus it'll settle a bit more along with the trailer once you've loaded up your horse(s) - odds are you'll be fine with the included ball.
      Last edited by VolvoUhu; 08-01-2020 at 02:22 PM.
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Sold in 2018: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

Quote Originally Posted by warrigal View Post
      20" to the top of the ball and 19" for the trailer - that is pretty close. You should check in person with the actual hitch & trailer you are gonna use. It may fit right without need for any changes.

However, if you do need to drop the ball an inch or 2, it is simpler (& cheaper) to just get a new hitch mount with ball that meets your height requirement.
      Example - https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpowe.../dp/B0016C3STQ
      2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription with Vision Package, Convenience Package, Luxury Package, Leather Dash, B&W Premium Sound, Air Suspension, Tow Hitch & 21" Wheels

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements