Aftermarket Radio on DYNAUDIO/Dolby Logic Pro II Sound System XC90's
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Aftermarket Radio on DYNAUDIO/Dolby Logic Pro II Sound System XC90's

Hello everyone,

I have a 2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4.4L AWD with the DYNAUDIO Premium Sound package, with the Dolby Logic Pro II surround sound option, too. The car is basically fully tricked out, with navigation, backup camera, backup sensors, etc. I have hated the radio in it for years now, and have finally decided to do something about it, however, I can't find any information on this topic and I need help.

I am trying to install this head unit: Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX, this camera: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500HCE...HCE-C1100.html, and this camera mounting plate: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTX...KTX-C10LP.html on my XC90. The problem is, however, the DYNAUDIO sound system. Apparently, it uses fiber optics to communicate with the radio and everything else on the MOST (Media-Oriented System Transport) interface, meaning the backup sensors, factory navigation, etc. Anyways, I'm trying to replace the entire factory radio and put in that nice, big, touchscreen Pioneer head unit. However, I'm also trying to retain the steering wheel controls, backup camera activation when in reverse (new cam should route video to new head unit), backup sensors (beeping), and the speakers (if necessary, I can replace amp, but speakers being replaced is too difficult and time-consuming for me, the amp is what I'm really confused about).

I have been told that this kit: https://incartec.co.uk/product/Volvo...ace-FK-860-PDC is what I need, however, I really don't know what to do with the factory amplifier. So, I am asking you all for your help in determining what I need to buy, what I need to do, how risky and difficult it is, and any other possible help I can get in order to replace that disgusting radio. I have no idea whether to bypass the amp, or to replace it, and if I do replace it, what amp to replace it with. I am sincerely hoping that you all can help a novice out here.

In your responses, I politely request that you are thorough and detailed since this is the first car mod I've done, yet I know how to solder, and am electrically and technologically sound (haha get it?).

Thank you all very much in advance, I sincerely hope to hear from you soon. Kind regards.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Good luck!

I've been frustrated by the same factory radio so I follow these discussions, though I've not tried a swap.

It seems there are a lot of posts, lots of frustration and mixing and matching of various mounting kits, wiring harnesses from various vendors in North America and Europe.

I'd suggest searching the forums and you'll find lots of info and rabbit holes to go down.

Unfortunately I don't know if there's a single concise post that details all the steps and parts needed.

I believe the concensus is you'll need to use a new amp.

Sent from the demons in my head
      Quote Originally Posted by buycurious View Post
      ultimately the problem was just as pdlarson had predicted...
      1999 V70XC / Mostly stock under the hood / Several cosmetic mods inside and out
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive

Haha!! "Sent from the demons in my head"

Thanks a lot for the reply. Would you happen to know what amp I can use with the car?

Thanks again.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Replacing the MOST amp while retaining navigation voice and telephone audio and parking sensor beeps (all are routed over the MOST bus to the amp) is not possible. Well, very difficult, because you would have to develop and manufacture an interface...

Disconnecting the MOST bus by removing any MOST component (like the amp) means the nav stops working. Why? Because MOST is unidirectional Fiber ring, and the nav receives all the data from the vehicle over the MOST bus. Speed, direction , forward/reverse, localtime, reverse camera activations, etc,

Disconnecting the MOST bus may or may not impact the native reverse cam. The Volvo reverse cam outputs NTSC analog composite video, and routes it through the nav to the display. The nav controls the display, so if the nav stops working, you may lose display control and reverse camera control. Test by unplugging a MOST device, eg: remove the fuses for the amplifier, and check behaviour.

Replacing the radio and wishing to retain steering wheel controls is possible, with a CAN bus interface. These are available, and are radio-specific.

And of course, disconnecting any MOST bus devices results in error codes.

All in all you are taking on quite a task. Discarding the audio system including nav, telephone and parking sensors in its entirety, whilst retaining only analog speakers and the steering wheel controls is possible.
      Discarding part of the entire system whilst retaining function of another part is nigh on impossible.

The simplest changes you can make are:
      1. Replace speakers with new speakers of your choice
      2. Replace amplifier with an analog amplifier of your choice, fed by a MOST interface. Such an interface exists for the XC90, was developed by Russians, google for MOST amplifier interface to find it. This interface allows retention of al MOST functions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dyn does not equal MOST. Some Volvo’s, Porsche’s, etc have MOST. All XC90’s are inflicted with it.

Only way to deal with it is to tap into it: https://gromaudio.com/

Or kill it completely: https://incartec.co.uk/

Killing it is best.
      2006 XC90 V8, DMH-WT7600NEX, PDX-F4(X2), M12, GB10, GB25, GB60, GB12D4(X2), custom exhaust, Verde A/S Plus 107V/Ronal RT, IPD bars.
      2008 328xi, AVH-X7800BT, GM-D8604 & D9605, MT-230, GB40, XE 200, 12" Primo, Musicar NW box, P-Zero/Ventoso's, Sottozero 3/185's.
      2011 XC60 T6 RD, DWS/20" Cratus, IPD rear. 1980 TR8​, MBT-RX, Overdrive Plus, GM-D9605, GS62, 8" L7T(X2), NT05 on Revolution Wheels.

After weeks of research, reading everything I could find.. I went with the solution in this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2444546715858068
      I haven't received it yet, it's shipping at the moment, but the people that did receive it were really happy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
      Replacing the MOST amp while retaining navigation voice and telephone audio and parking sensor beeps (all are routed over the MOST bus to the amp) is not possible. Well, very difficult, because you would have to develop and manufacture an interface...

Disconnecting the MOST bus by removing any MOST component (like the amp) means the nav stops working. Why? Because MOST is unidirectional Fiber ring, and the nav receives all the data from the vehicle over the MOST bus. Speed, direction , forward/reverse, localtime, reverse camera activations, etc,

Disconnecting the MOST bus may or may not impact the native reverse cam. The Volvo reverse cam outputs NTSC analog composite video, and routes it through the nav to the display. The nav controls the display, so if the nav stops working, you may lose display control and reverse camera control. Test by unplugging a MOST device, eg: remove the fuses for the amplifier, and check behaviour.

Replacing the radio and wishing to retain steering wheel controls is possible, with a CAN bus interface. These are available, and are radio-specific.

And of course, disconnecting any MOST bus devices results in error codes.

All in all you are taking on quite a task. Discarding the audio system including nav, telephone and parking sensors in its entirety, whilst retaining only analog speakers and the steering wheel controls is possible.
      Discarding part of the entire system whilst retaining function of another part is nigh on impossible.

The simplest changes you can make are:
      1. Replace speakers with new speakers of your choice
      2. Replace amplifier with an analog amplifier of your choice, fed by a MOST interface. Such an interface exists for the XC90, was developed by Russians, google for MOST amplifier interface to find it. This interface allows retention of al MOST functions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Wow, I had thought it wouldn't be too hard! I really don't care about the pop-up navi display screen, and I don't have the telephone option in my car. I plan to use the navigation from the CarPlay in my head unit, and plug in the aftermarket replacement camera into the new head unit, bypassing the navi display completely. The InCarTec kit I had linked originally comes with a speaker that goes inside the dash that "retains" the backup sensor beeping.

So is it or is it not possible for me to get rid of the amplifier and replace it? That's what it sounds like you're saying in the second option you had mentioned, "2. Replace amplifier with an analog amplifier of your choice, fed by a MOST interface. Such an interface exists for the XC90, was developed by Russians, google for MOST amplifier interface to find it. This interface allows retention of al MOST functions". For that Russian interface, could you please provide a link? Is this the best one: https://12volt-shop.lv/3/product/WUJWXw==.html

Also, if I were to replace the amplifier, what amplifier would I replace it with? I need to buy an amplifier, of course, so if you could link one or list the specifications I should look for in one, I can find one to buy.

I do understand that it will be hard and am pretty prepared to take this task on.

Please let me know, thank you all for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by robtr8 View Post
      Dyn does not equal MOST. Some Volvo’s, Porsche’s, etc have MOST. All XC90’s are inflicted with it.

Only way to deal with it is to tap into it: https://gromaudio.com/

Or kill it completely: https://incartec.co.uk/

Killing it is best.
      Definitely going with the slaughter option

Can you recommend an amplifier and a MOST Amplifier Interface for me to buy so that I can replace the factory amp completely?

Thanks

Thanks for letting me know. Can you link the product URL or a store URL? I can't seem to find it.

Also, please keep us all updated when you receive yours (quality, shipment time, ease of installation, etc.) Quality is my biggest concern with that product.

Will do. There's no store except that Facebook group. Communication is.. challenging, since he uses google translate and speaks no english. Mine should arrive later this week. I'll open a thread with results, since quite a few people are looking for something like this.

I've done two of these swaps with the incartec kit while retaining the parking sensor beeps. The NAV is worthless by today's standards and most headunits come with Apple Carplay/Android Auto and/or built-in Garmin NAV. It is possible to power the old NAV screen to raise and lower and receive a video signal, some owners have done this to display Garmin nav units.

Upgrading the headunit to modern tech adds new life to the XC90.

I have a sticky thread at the top of this forum with a few pages of info from those that have done the swap:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...on-XC90-Solved

This swap takes time. My process was to build the wiring harness the night before the install, the spend a Saturday or Sunday doing the install leaving the battery disconnected until I have double checked the wiring is correct. No need to trip an airbag light if you can avoid it.

Watch YouTube videos on how to take apart the dash. Fishing the wiring and module boxes back into the dash can be challenging but you will be able to get it all back in and have the headunit sit flush.

This new headunit looks pretty sweet:

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 12.20.45 PM.jpgXC90_Headunit.jpg
      2016 V60CC Platinum | Beechwood Brown interior swap | 20-inch Cratus wheels
      2016 S60CC Platinum with lowered sport chassis | Polestar Performance Springs |
      19-inch Polestar wheels | Elevate GT5 Exhaust, rear sway bar, brake lines, rear spoiler
      2017 XC90 Momentum Plus (family)

Previous:
      2017 S90 Inscription T6 AWD, 2019 XC40 R-Design T5 AWD, 2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD , 2018 V60 Polestar #103/1500, 2016 XC90 R-Design, 2013 C30 Polestar #141/250,2015.5 V60 R-Design,1998 V70 T5M, 1999 S70 GLT, 2000 V70R, 2004 V70R, 2006 V70R Sonic Blue, 2006 V70R Electric Silver, 2007 V70R Passion Red, 2003 XC90 2.5T, 2007 XC90 V8 Sport Electric Silver, 2007 XC90 Sport V8, Passion Red

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      I've done two of these swaps with the incartec kit while retaining the parking sensor beeps. The NAV is worthless by today's standards and most headunits come with Apple Carplay/Android Auto and/or built-in Garmin NAV. It is possible to power the old NAV screen to raise and lower and receive a video signal, some owners have done this to display Garmin nav units.

Upgrading the headunit to modern tech adds new life to the XC90.

I have a sticky thread at the top of this forum with a few pages of info from those that have done the swap:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...on-XC90-Solved

This swap takes time. My process was to build the wiring harness the night before the install, the spend a Saturday or Sunday doing the install leaving the battery disconnected until I have double checked the wiring is correct. No need to trip an airbag light if you can avoid it.

Watch YouTube videos on how to take apart the dash. Fishing the wiring and module boxes back into the dash can be challenging but you will be able to get it all back in and have the headunit sit flush.
      Sounds good. Let's continue talking over email, my ultimate goal is to work with you and post a document with all the installation instructions for those with an audio configuration like mine, I'd really hate for people to go through the same countless hours of research like I did.

Quote Originally Posted by dignus View Post
      Will do. There's no store except that Facebook group. Communication is.. challenging, since he uses google translate and speaks no english. Mine should arrive later this week. I'll open a thread with results, since quite a few people are looking for something like this.
      Installed it the other day. Looks lovely! Installing was, for someone who has never did anything on a car, very straightforward thanks to the install video. It’s literally plug and play. I can recommend this unit verrrry much.

https://ibb.co/jVw6kgx
      Last edited by dignus; 08-01-2020 at 03:21 AM.

What HU is that?
      2006 XC90 V8, DMH-WT7600NEX, PDX-F4(X2), M12, GB10, GB25, GB60, GB12D4(X2), custom exhaust, Verde A/S Plus 107V/Ronal RT, IPD bars.
      2008 328xi, AVH-X7800BT, GM-D8604 & D9605, MT-230, GB40, XE 200, 12" Primo, Musicar NW box, P-Zero/Ventoso's, Sottozero 3/185's.
      2011 XC60 T6 RD, DWS/20" Cratus, IPD rear. 1980 TR8​, MBT-RX, Overdrive Plus, GM-D9605, GS62, 8" L7T(X2), NT05 on Revolution Wheels.

What HU is that?
      The one sold in this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/2444546715858068.

Can you provide a direct link to the salesperson contact or the product webpage where someone else can find more info? (price, shipping, quality of components especially the screen and chip)

This looks really nice, but does it have Apple CarPlay? I'm assuming not, which is why I'm leaning away from it. Looks like a Volvo-Tesla hybrid now!

Quote Originally Posted by 08XC90V8 View Post
      Can you provide a direct link to the salesperson contact or the product webpage where someone else can find more info? (price, shipping, quality of components especially the screen and chip)

This looks really nice, but does it have Apple CarPlay? I'm assuming not, which is why I'm leaning away from it. Looks like a Volvo-Tesla hybrid now!
      Contact the group admin on that facebook page. Communicating is.. interesting, his English is... suboptimal. But it worked really well for me.

Unit has apple carplay. Optional DAB+ and camera.

Does it have a manufacturer identification of some type? Specs? I would be interested, but going onto facebook is a deal breaker.
      Why the cloak and dagger stuff?
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

There's a metric ST of Android 10 HU's beyond the majors that you find on Crutchfield. The only thing that would be XC90 specific is the fascia/dash kit and the CANbus module.
      (Could be the CANbus isn't even that special. Things that work for other marks ((Porsche)) that use MOST may be universal. But knowing Volvo, it probably is Volvo specific.)

Pioneer uses an Android OS. They dropped Windows CE several generations ago.

I've had some success looking at UK websites like eBay.UK for EU only items (typically Eastern European). That's where I found my running boards.

I had to use my sons FB ID to look at the FB page. Waiting for their Admin to approve me/him.

OP - After you remove everything with an orange FO cable, you can use any amp you wish. It really comes down to packaging. In other words, where can you stuff an amp, how many channels do you need, etc.

Where to put the subwoofer. That's the interesting bit.

I tried them here but then needed a third amp so they ended up here.
      Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Capndirk View Post
      Does it have a manufacturer identification of some type? Specs? I would be interested, but going onto facebook is a deal breaker.
      Why the cloak and dagger stuff?
      Don’t know. Ask him all I know is that I have a great unit that works with the original dynaudio amp while keeping rear park sensors and steering wheel controls

I researched a lot of Android units before buying my ATOTO A6, and yes, there are a lot of Android systems out there. I'm very happy with what I have, but I start to drool when I see bigger-newer-faster. I've had my system for almost 2 years, and I'm really just learning what the value and the limitations are of the Android ecosystem. There are no really good music players designed for Android car HU's, for example. I've tried an incredible number of MP3, stored music, and file apps that probably work great on phones, but there are a lot of deficiencies out there. That's another thread, though.
      A very pertinent specs issue is native storage and memory. When there are multi-tasking functions taking place, like Google Maps updating while music is playing in another app, the second BT channel is relaying Canbus to a running app, the WiFi subsystem is streaming map updates and/or music, or a dash cam is added to the mix, things can slow down or stutter. Then the phone rings.....
      I have 4GB of memory, and haven't torture tested the concurrent functions, yet. Just anticipating the scenario makes me wonder what the limitations of Android are. For example; is there a memory ceiling like older Windows where more memory is neither recognized or used? The need to learn is imminent, though.
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

That's really interesting. You didn't have to replace your Dynaudio amp? What did you do, bypass it? Everyone's been telling me I can't bypass/remove the amp and that I have to replace the amp, which is why I started this thread in the first place.

Can anyone confirm? What do you have to do to the amp for a Dynaudio car when you're installing any HU? I'm looking at the Sony XAV-AX1000 because of it's physical volume knob and front USB placement.

Here's my parts list guys: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

P.S: I'm still waiting on a reply from Chris and MusicarNW to finalize my parts and then I'll order them from this list. I just don't have a clear and definitive answer on the amp!! (see above)

OP - After you remove everything with an orange FO cable, you can use any amp you wish. It really comes down to packaging. In other words, where can you stuff an amp, how many channels do you need, etc.
      So are you saying that I can just remove the amp, and then put in my own? Could you please recommend one? I have the Dolby Logic Pro II sound system and don't plan on adding any subwoofers or changing any of the speakers, I like them. That's groundbreaking! Thanks Rob.

BTW, my email is [email protected] we can communicate there, as well if you are OK with it.

The kit I described above, used the AUX input on my premium audio system. By far the easiest way to get aftermarket audio in your car, no fiddling around with your amp. If you have AUX in..

28. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements