2009 Xc90 V8 AWD: Climate Control Fan Issue
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Question 2009 Xc90 V8 AWD: Climate Control Fan Issue

The fan stopped working in March after intermittently working for about a week. I recently ordered and installed a new blower motor (nothing else). After the installation, the fan worked again but there was a (new?) whirring noise behind the climate control panel each time I changed the fan speed.

After my husband came home from work last night, I excitedly went to show him the working fan (I really did it for his benefit. He can't stand the heat without A/C).

I turned the car on, turned the fan knob, and.... NOTHING! That was a lot of toiling in the heat with blood rushing to my head from the silly positions I needed to be in to get that thing out- for nothing.

I know that it's advised to replace the resistor/control module with the blower motor and when I pulled the assembly from the dash, you could see corrosion on one of the contacts on the resistor plug.

Do you think that the resistor is the problem?

What do you think the whirring sound was? I sounded like the CD changer changing changing disks but the stereo was off.

Thanks in advance!
      Last edited by bboiardi78; 07-29-2020 at 05:17 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I got the whole assy (fan, blower motor and rheostat) from an 04 in the junkyard and put it in the 07. It has been working well since the swap. It had been intermittent before the swap and I suspect it was burnt pins or sockets in the rheostat that caused the problem. The whirring noise could have been something like a piece of plastic caught in the duct or touching the squirrel cage fan.
      07 XC90 3.2

Rheostat?

Quote Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
      I got the whole assy (fan, blower motor and rheostat) from an 04 in the junkyard and put it in the 07. It has been working well since the swap. It had been intermittent before the swap and I suspect it was burnt pins or sockets in the rheostat that caused the problem. The whirring noise could have been something like a piece of plastic caught in the duct or touching the squirrel cage fan.
      Thanks. I think I'm going to go ahead and order the blower motor resistor (is that what you are calling the rheostat?) and hope it works. As far as the sound and vibration, it's not coming from behind the glove box. It's definitely near the climate control panel. I could feel it easily through the knob and panel. I may just have to rip the console open to figure it out.

Finger's crossed...

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements