CEM issues and 240° alternator!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

CEM issues and 240° alternator!

Finally got my 2005 S40 T5 on the road after sitting outside for two years. Fixed sunroof drains and addressed multiple issues.
      After just two days of driving, (very smooth, quiet, good power) it wouldn't start. Swapped the battery out (again), then the car started good 3 times.
      That's when the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and I noticed the alternator was burning up!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I removed the CEM and cleaned it real good, reinstalled it and still the same.
      When I hook up the negative battery cable, it sparks a lot more than normal.
      I'm just not good with electrical issues and don't want to dump money with wild guesses. Alternator might be bad. CEM might be bad.

Also before it went haywire, the check charging system popped up, then the abs system popped up

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by VDOK View Post
      Alternator might be bad.
      Yes, the s40/v50 alternators in that year range go bad that way - replace it before it fries the belt if it hasn't already

But could that possibly cause the other issues? The dash lighting up and whatnot?

But could that possibly cause the other issues? The dash lighting up and whatnot?
      Fix what you know is broken - (if when running the voltage at the battery with ac off is less than ~12.8 volts, replace the alternator) then if there is still a problem - fix that too!

Alternator dying will cause a massive host of other issues on these cars. They are very power hungry. Battery dying does as well. My car malfunctioned massively when I first bought it and all I did was swap the battery and everything was good.
      Barents Blue Metallic S40 T5 AWD M66 Manual

Ok thanks guys. I ordered the remaned Denso along with both belts. That thing must have been bad (it had that smell). So I'll start there. Hopefully it is the only issue.

Got the replacement alternator installed along with two new belts, made sure the battery was charged, and now it says "key error try again."
      I've already replaced the key fob battery and the ignition switch. I tried the other key. Nothing works.
      I can hear clicks under the hood and dash but absolutely nothing works except the error display on the dash. (and the lights and door locks)

If only this car tried as hard to run as it does give me warnings and errors...

That’s strange. Obviously the keys worked before. Have you checked appropriate fuses? Something could have blown.

If you have not already done this:
      - Disconnect battery ground terminal
      - Short ground clamp to battery positive
      - Wait 10 minutes
      - Reconnect ground terminal
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

I had this happen when I replaced my alternator. Try disconnecting the battery and remove and re-seat the ECU connectors making sure there is no Foreign Object or Debris (FOD), place key in position II and reconnect the battery, key to position 0.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

Quote Originally Posted by AutoGeek View Post
      I had this happen when I replaced my alternator. Try disconnecting the battery and remove and re-seat the ECU connectors making sure there is no Foreign Object or Debris (FOD), place key in position II and reconnect the battery, key to position 0.
      Might even be good to hit them with contact cleaner and use dielectric grease.

Just tried all the recommended procedures and still nothing. There were some new noises. Clicks, high pitched whines, but still nothing.

Does anyone recommend a shop around the Richmond VA area?

I hate to take it somewhere and hate throwing in the towel but I'm just not that good with electrical stuff.

now it says "key error try again." I've already replaced the ignition switch. I tried the other key.
      Why did you replace the ignition switch? (The ~$210 part? 30659838) And did this problem occur with the old switch? Can you put the old switch back in? Is it possible you damaged or left something unplugged when you put the "ignition switch" in related to the immobilizer?

The ignition switch does not appear to requires software download - so no easy answer there.

Yeah, true. The ignition switch is just the switch. Wrapped around it is an antenna which actually reads the key - separate and highly important part.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Did the antenna get damaged or incorrectly installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a previous separate issue. I mean, as in a few days before all this happened. The car worked wonderfully for a few days between replacing the switch and this issue.

When I turned the key to the start position then let off, it would shut off. It would stay running as long as it was held in the start position. So I started it then let the key off verrryyy slowly and it stayed running. Then just give it a nudge and it would shut off!

I would like to think I installed the alternator correctly. Haha. I did double check all the connections. Everything seems in place.

I could try swapping the ignition switch out with the old one just to see.

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements