Volvo V60CC random "clack" noise from engine bay
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Volvo V60CC random "clack" noise from engine bay

Hello all,
      I have a 2016 Volvo V60CC with about 23k. It runs great, never had any issues with it. Recently there’s a random loud “clack” like noise coming from the engine bay, around the intake area. I’ve made a short video (noise occurs at 5 seconds and 1:13):https://youtu.be/NGVdmbcBYZc
      No CEL, doesn’t burn a drop of oil, not other symptoms. Any idea?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hello...
      I have the same "clank"....almost sounds like a plastic knock sound....but mine occurs about every 15-30 seconds after starting. It usually disappears after warm up.....but I still hear some knock sounds after I turn it off.
      (It is not the manifold cooling either....that's more of a metal sound)
      I had the rings replace after the excessive oil consumption issue (at 60K) and have noticed this sound ever since.
      The dealer said it has become a familiar "new sound" from this repair and nobody can figure out what it is. My dealership is good and I trust them....mostly. They said they have done some "redo" ring jobs and the sound is still there.
      My guess it has to do with the new rings.....and some people on other threads have switched to 0w-30....and have noticed less knocking. My dealer also suggests to use premium gas to keep valve clean. Overall, the engine is not losing power nor is it burning oil.
      Its just a weird sound that I hope does not turn into a bad problem.

Not that Im an expert but that particular vid sounds like expansion/contraction of the plastics/etc. if the arent any issues-drive on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

What I am hearing over the valve noise is perhaps the open/close sound of a solenoid switch. It could be a device in the crankcase ventilation system. It does not sound like any important part from inside the engine, like a bad bearing.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses! Sorry, lost track of this thread as I haven't been driving much due to the pandemic. Yeah, I don't think it's a mechanical sound as it does not change tone, frequency, etc with speed, rpm, etc. It does sound like a solenoid or relay like Eric stated. I've noticed that this noise still occurs for quite a while after the car is turned off (and still hot), still every 20-50 seconds. Now what solenoids could still be "active" after the ignition is turned off?

I have the same sound!!!! I have the same engine (as seen in video....) I have 2015.5 V60CC but my sound started after the rings were replaced for excessive oil consumption (at 60K). My sound happens with more frequency...every 15-20 seconds when idling and like the other posts....it happens after shut off for about 5 minutes but much longer between the "clacks". Been back to dealer a few times for questions and recently got Volvo involved. This is what Volvo USA said:

Thank you for your patience while your case is opened and reviewed. It has been reported the noise is due to exhaust manifold gasket and it is deemed as normal as the gasket expanding and contracting.
      No worries!
      Please let us know if any additional assistance is needed.
      Med vänliga hälsningar!

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements