Engine failure and Customer Care
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 25 of 25
    1. #1

      Engine failure and Customer Care

      For anyone with an out of warranty Volvo looking for Volvo Goodwill assistance, please read:

      My 2015.5 s60 T5 with 52k miles had the tensioner fail, stripping pieces off the serpentine belt and into the timing belt causing a catastrophic failure. After being told it could be $17,000 for an engine replacement, I contacted Volvo customer care. Here is the run down:
      7/6/2020 Customer care contacted and asked about “Goodwill” due to having only 52k miles and being 5 yrs old. Was told they would contact me within 7 days, but I should call back in 3 days because it doesn’t usually take that long.
      7/13/2020 Called customer care and was told someone would reach out to me shortly. (My agent wasn’t available)
      7/15/2020 Called customer care and was told upper management was the holdup but someone would contact me soon. (My agent wasn’t available)
      7/16/2020 Called customer care and was told my agent would call me back with an update (I received no call).
      7/17/2020 Called customer care and was told there were no updates as of today, but an update to my account was “scheduled for 2 days from now” (that would be Sunday in case you don’t have your calendars handy). I then called my agent and left a message to call me as soon as she was able.
      7/19/2020 Agent called back to say the first claim was denied on 7/6 (day 1 of this story). She told me that she submitted an appeal on 7/6 as well and would get back to me as soon as a decision was made.
      7/30/2020 Today...I have heard nothing from Volvo. (24 days after first contact with Volvo)

      This is unfortunate because I was catching the Volvo bug and would have continued to talk up their cars while driving them. Having a blown engine at 52k miles is unacceptable, and this issue should be addressed for those of us with the problem and those who will have it. Having an actual thread dedicated to this topic is proof enough that it is a real issue, and my vehicle is currently at a private garage awaiting repairs next to 2 other Volvo’s with the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I could not recommend Volvo to anyone and feel insulted by their lack of communication through this process.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      I'll help you cut through the red tape. I'm just that nice....Write the same email to each person, but change the salutations and email address. Use both email addresses for Mr. Casey. This will only work if this is a Volvo purchased from a Volvo Dealership and Exclusively serviced with Volvo. Modify the letter as you see fit. I don't know your circumstances.

      Dear Mr. Doering (Mr. Casey),

      I am the owner of a 2015.5 Volvo S60 purchased from X dealer on X date (New?) or (Demo/Loaner CPO). I have owned prior Volvos and am very loyal to the brand (List them if purchased from a Volvo Dealer and at which dealer) or this is my first Volvo. My current 2015.5 S60 has been exclusively serviced with Volvo at X dealer / Dealers. I was extremely happy with the vehicle until reaching 52,000 miles. At which time, the tensioner failed, stripping pieces off the serpentine belt and into the timing belt, causing a catastrophic failure.

      I reached out to customer care about my concerns, but am not getting a straight answer. Therefore, I hope that by reaching out to your office, we can get this issue addressed. Being that my vehicle is only at 52,000 miles, and was exclusively serviced by Volvo, I would like to respectfully ask that Volvo consider offering a good will replacement of the engine Attached, you will find a copy of all my Volvo service records and the dealer's explanation of what occurred with my engine. Thank you for your help.

      Regards,

      Your Name
      Phone Number


      Primary Contact
      Bill Casey
      Operations Manager, Customer Care Center
      [email protected]
      [email protected]

      Secondary Contact
      Scott Doering
      Vice President, Customer Service
      [email protected]

    4. #3
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      3,649


      Love when people join just to post stuff like this, hoping to use it as some sort of leverage. Always makes me skeptical.

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post


      Love when people join just to post stuff like this, hoping to use it as some sort of leverage. Always makes me skeptical.
      I don't read too deep into it. Maybe he googled the problem and found others suffered similar failures via threads from Swedespeed. Who knows. Either way, if I were in his shoes, I'd be asking for help, too.

    7. #5
      Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      Arlington, VA
      Posts
      2,236
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      I don't read too deep into it. Maybe he googled the problem and found others suffered similar failures via threads from Swedespeed. Who knows. Either way, if I were in his shoes, I'd be asking for help, too.
      Yeah, me too. Crappy design in the first place to allow a fan belt take out an engine.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

    8. #6
      Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      Yeah, me too. Crappy design in the first place to allow a fan belt take out an engine.
      Though OP seems to have left just as quick as he came here. I gave him information. Either way, hope he gets the situation resolved.

    9. #7
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Though OP seems to have left just as quick as he came here. I gave him information. Either way, hope he gets the situation resolved.
      Still here with no official response yet. I appreciate your advice and prewritten letters, however I purchased this vehicle from a non-Volvo dealer and have serviced regularly it with my local mechanic. Two strikes there. Currently it is at an independent Volvo specialist’s shop awaiting repairs.

      I enjoy reading forums of all types, and have been here many times before as a consumer with no reason to post until now. Not for leverage, just information that I would have appreciated before buying and while dealing with this current situation.

    10. #8
      Quote Originally Posted by S60guy2015.5 View Post
      Still here with no official response yet. I appreciate your advice and prewritten letters, however I purchased this vehicle from a non-Volvo dealer and have serviced regularly it with my local mechanic. Two strikes there. Currently it is at an independent Volvo specialist’s shop awaiting repairs.

      I enjoy reading forums of all types, and have been here many times before as a consumer with no reason to post until now. Not for leverage, just information that I would have appreciated before buying and while dealing with this current situation.
      Ugh. Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Volvo isn't going to assist you. There's pretty much next to no chance with those 2 BIG STRIKES.

      1. Non Volvo Purchasing Dealer
      2. No Volvo Dealership Service Track Record.

      Volvo is going to state, and rightfully so, they can't track vehicle's maintenance and anything could have happened in between. You can still try to send off letter tailored to your story, but I would be realistic in that the answer is 99% "No Can Do".

      If it were me, I wouldn't fix the car, and move on. Part it out to recover as much of your loss as possible.

    11. #9
      Junior Member Sysyphus61's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2016
      Location
      Suburban Philadelphia
      Posts
      700
      Obviously $17k for a new engine is not a financially viable repair, and I’m agreeing that you have slim to no chance of any help from Volvo given the history, but rather than scrapping what presumably is still otherwise a perfectly good car I’d suggest you should be talking to your local mechanic about a used/reconditioned engine replacement, which can be had for a small fraction of the new price.
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

    12. #10
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      11,948
      That's the best advice at this point. Here is an engine from a quick review of ebaymotors for $2.5k that you can have your indie mechanic install for you to salvage something from this situation.

      https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-VOLVO-...0AAOSw33FeX8sK
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      Lewisberry Penn
      Posts
      701
      Trying to save a dime with non CPO and no warranty is risky. Engine is about the worst case scenario, but it can happen. Most repairs cost close to the price of a warranty, and certainly the amount that it costs to step up to a CPO vs just a used car. Sounds like it might have been driven after the initial failure a bit too? That would be a 3rd strike. I agree with the notion of getting a salvage motor put in, and then trading in for a CPO... it doesn't matter if it's another Volvo or a Toyota... don't cheap out on late model cars, get a CPO from whatever brand you choose. IMO the best alternative is to own two older vehicles that you can DIY... always keeping one on the road while making needed repairs to the other.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      Overseas Delivery Specialist
      VCOA Member
      iRoll YouTube (looking for more helpful video ideas to kick start this channel)

    14. #12
      Junior Member Sysyphus61's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2016
      Location
      Suburban Philadelphia
      Posts
      700
      If it was only a dime we were saving we’d all be buying CPO’s
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      Edina, MN USA
      Posts
      63
      Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      That's the best advice at this point. Here is an engine from a quick review of ebaymotors for $2.5k that you can have your indie mechanic install for you to salvage something from this situation.

      https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-VOLVO-...0AAOSw33FeX8sK
      That seems like a good price for a 2017 with those miles. Nice option for the OP.
      2017 Volvo S60 Dynamic AWD

    16. #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      That's the best advice at this point. Here is an engine from a quick review of ebaymotors for $2.5k that you can have your indie mechanic install for you to salvage something from this situation.

      https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-VOLVO-...0AAOSw33FeX8sK
      You're forgetting it's not just the $2.5K for a refurbished engine. Plus another ~$1500 for a mechanic to drop it in and install. So he's looking at 4 Grand. Depending on what he paid for the car he could maybe salvage some value. Really depends if where he attempts to trade pays close attention and notices the engine doesn't match the vin. Not sure specs on car he bought (FWD, AWD, Platinum, or what options), but let's assign a book value of $13,500. My 15.5 FWD with Convenience , BLIS, Heated Seats with 72k comes in about $12,500 private sale in good value. Not including I still have CPO and Prepaid Maintenance left. So actual book is 12.5k.

      But that's private sale. Dealer trade is around $9K. So if OP drops in about $4k and can find a dealer to offload it upon, he might walk away with 4 or 5K if lucky. Again, depends upon if dealer pays attention or not and looks at car's history.

    17. #15
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      Edina, MN USA
      Posts
      63
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Again, depends upon if dealer pays attention or not and looks at car's history.
      Not sure a dealer would even know unless the shop doing the work reports it to Carfax/Autocheck. Also not sure they would care either, if you bring them a car in good working condition.
      2017 Volvo S60 Dynamic AWD

    18. #16
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      11,948
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      You're forgetting it's not just the $2.5K for a refurbished engine. Plus another ~$1500 for a mechanic to drop it in and install. So he's looking at 4 Grand. Depending on what he paid for the car he could maybe salvage some value. Really depends if where he attempts to trade pays close attention and notices the engine doesn't match the vin. Not sure specs on car he bought (FWD, AWD, Platinum, or what options), but let's assign a book value of $13,500. My 15.5 FWD with Convenience , BLIS, Heated Seats with 72k comes in about $12,500 private sale in good value. Not including I still have CPO and Prepaid Maintenance left. So actual book is 12.5k.

      But that's private sale. Dealer trade is around $9K. So if OP drops in about $4k and can find a dealer to offload it upon, he might walk away with 4 or 5K if lucky. Again, depends upon if dealer pays attention or not and looks at car's history.
      No, I'm not forgetting installation costs.

      $4-5k to replace the engine still sounds like a better option than $17k to me.

      It would be silly to put all this money into a car and then turn around and trade it but that's just my opinion.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    19. #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      No, I'm not forgetting installation costs.

      $4-5k to replace the engine still sounds like a better option than $17k to me.

      It would be silly to put all this money into a car and then turn around and trade it but that's just my opinion.
      That's my point. It really depends how much he spent on the car and if he wants to be saddled with more debt. Let's say the car had a purchase price of $12,500. Clearly a $17,000 engine isn't worth the investment. So he gets a rebuilt one and has it installed for $5k. OP is now into the car for $17,500.

      So there lies the question, is it better to try to offload the car as a trade in. Maybe get $8,000 out of it. If dealer doesn't see engine deal then maybe $9k. OP walks away having lost $8,500 vs purchase price of $12,500. Or being in the hole for $17,500 for the $12,500 purchase price + $5k engine.

      All depends on OP's outlook and what he wants done. Other option, part out the car, recover as much as you can, and go elsewhere.

    20. #18
      Quote Originally Posted by leftoverture View Post
      Not sure a dealer would even know unless the shop doing the work reports it to Carfax/Autocheck. Also not sure they would care either, if you bring them a car in good working condition.
      1. An independent dealer may or may not report to Carfax / Autocheck. Some do some don't.
      2. Guess it depends on where and whom he trades it in. I imagine the car would get inspected before a dealer accepts the trade.

      So it's hard to say one way or another.

    21. #19
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Stillwater, OK
      Posts
      260
      The other thing with this is that I think the OP had the five cylinder engine. So the one listed probably wouldn't work for them anyway, but I'd definitely say get a used engine since that route will be much less expensive and you will end up with a running car.
      2013 XC60 T6
      2015 V60CC T5

    22. #20
      Junior Member Sysyphus61's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2016
      Location
      Suburban Philadelphia
      Posts
      700
      A lot depends too on where the OP stands financially with the car - if he’s got four years of payments left on it that’s a lot different picture than if he owns it outright...

      Also if he can afford to buy another car and has the time, space, ability and patience to part it out himself he can probably make most if not all of his money back, possibly even a profit, eventually...
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

    23. #21
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      11,948
      Quote Originally Posted by mamba42 View Post
      The other thing with this is that I think the OP had the five cylinder engine. So the one listed probably wouldn't work for them anyway, but I'd definitely say get a used engine since that route will be much less expensive and you will end up with a running car.
      Yeah, I didn't see anything either way in OP's post so I just showed a Drive E motor. I would imagine the 5 cylinder would be cheaper as there are more out there in junkyards at this point.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    24. #22
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      11,948
      Quote Originally Posted by Sysyphus61 View Post
      A lot depends too on where the OP stands financially with the car - if he’s got four years of payments left on it that’s a lot different picture than if he owns it outright...

      Also if he can afford to buy another car and has the time, space, ability and patience to part it out himself he can probably make most if not all of his money back, possibly even a profit, eventually...
      To me it seems the only decision is to put a used motor in it. If OP doesn't fix it then it's not worth very much to anybody and 99.9% of the owners out there don't want to deal with parting a car out.

      Loan or not, OP will be spending a lot more to abandon this car and buy a new one.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    25. #23
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      3,649
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Volvo is going to state, and rightfully so, they can't track vehicle's maintenance and anything could have happened in between.
      You always focus on this point when it comes to goodwill but I really don't think that is the reasoning. It likely boils down to how much money they have made from the customer and the likelihood of making more.

      If you buy a used Volvo from a non-Volvo dealership, they made no money. If you service it at an independent shop, they make no money unless the shop uses Volvo parts. Even if they use Volvo parts, you are likely to keep servicing there after repair if Volvo agrees to repair the car. It would take a lot of Volvo parts at that independent shop before Volvo would break even on giving out a free engine.

    26. #24
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      11,948
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      You always focus on this point when it comes to goodwill but I really don't think that is the reasoning. It likely boils down to how much money they have made from the customer and the likelihood of making more.

      If you buy a used Volvo from a non-Volvo dealership, they made no money. If you service it at an independent shop, they make no money unless the shop uses Volvo parts. Even if they use Volvo parts, you are likely to keep servicing there after repair if Volvo agrees to repair the car. It would take a lot of Volvo parts at that independent shop before Volvo would break even on giving out a free engine.
      Well, of course but that's not what they would tell the customer when they're denying coverage, lol.

      "We haven't made enough money from you to date and our prospect of making a lot more money from you in the future is equally dim so therefore coverage is denied. Have a nice day!"
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    27. #25
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      3,649
      Haha right, they won't say that. They don't have to give any reason.

    28. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. Help with Volvo Customer Care Escalation
      By ibisboy1 in forum XC90 (SPA: 2016 - )
      Replies: 22
      Last Post: 04-21-2020, 11:35 PM
    2. Replies: 20
      Last Post: 02-12-2017, 06:49 PM
    3. Easy Care, dosent care!
      By carpe_veritas in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 04-03-2010, 04:49 PM
    4. Advice Needed - Terrible customer care
      By clerk in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 04-07-2005, 06:16 AM
    5. Volvo Warranty - Dealing with Volvo Customer Care
      By C70Salo in forum General Volvo Discussions
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 09-23-2003, 03:08 PM