New to the forum, just bought a '63 544
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

New to the forum, just bought a '63 544

Hello all. I bought a 1963 Volvo PV544 to restore a week ago. The car was the previous owner's parts car, so I have a bit of work to do. Most of it is there, what was taken didn't come from the engine, and what went was mostly replaced by parts from the other car (though not installed). It has the B18 and the 4 speed. I'm told it hasn't run in more than 10 years, but was a daily driver before the guy who had it died. It then became the parts car of a friend of his after sitting all those years. My hope is that it will fire up and be in good enough shape as is to have a driveable project that I can then improve little by little. I love forums like this one. I have found them to be great resources, and I enjoy being able to share my knowledge with others. I'm new to Volvos though. The first thing I need to know, and I'm hoping that someone here can tell me, is where can I find a distributor oil priming tool for this car? The engine has to be bone dry. Otherwise I'm about ready to try and start it. I'm eager to find out what I have.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Congrats, although it looks like you have quite the parts-scrounging journey ahead!

You can maybe make a tool to engage the oil pump drive with a metal rod milled to have a flat key at one end. Pull the distributor with the alloy base piece (two bolts into flange on block), then extract the drive gear by turning CCW and pulling up. You'll see it about 4" down. Chuck the tool in a hand drill and be ready for some serious resistance.

But, you probably don't need to do this. You should in any case pull the plugs and shoot some light oil into the cylinders. Prefill the sump AND NEW OIL FILTER with good oil. With them still out, just use the starter to spin it up, gently. When you see oil at the valves, it's ready to try starting
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Quote Originally Posted by tmtalpey View Post
      Congrats, although it looks like you have quite the parts-scrounging journey ahead!

You can maybe make a tool to engage the oil pump drive with a metal rod milled to have a flat key at one end. Pull the distributor with the alloy base piece (two bolts into flange on block), then extract the drive gear by turning CCW and pulling up. You'll see it about 4" down. Chuck the tool in a hand drill and be ready for some serious resistance.

But, you probably don't need to do this. You should in any case pull the plugs and shoot some light oil into the cylinders. Prefill the sump AND NEW OIL FILTER with good oil. With them still out, just use the starter to spin it up, gently. When you see oil at the valves, it's ready to try starting
      Thanks, I do have a project ahead of me for sure. I've been thinking about this, if I could pre-oil it without having to pull the distributor.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

WC;

Congrats on your acquisition, and Welcome to this forum!

There's no need to pull the Distrib if you need to pre-oil, you could just pull spark plugs so Starter isn't working against compression, disable ignition so you don't get spark, and crank away for 30 seconds or so...I'd also pour some oil down each pushrod hole in the head, so Lifters get a good share too...that's a gentle way to bring a motor back from storage...

Cheers
      Last edited by Ron Kwas; 08-03-2020 at 05:28 AM.

If there is ANY fuel in the tank, drain it ! You do NOT want to start the engine with old gas. It could vaporize as fine varnish and then cool and solidify on the valves. When you try to start it a second time, the valves will be stuck in place and very bad things will happen. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the fuel tank. Use it. Then watch the color of the fuel. If it dirty red, you'll need to flush rust out of the tank before you put fresh gas back in.

Quote Originally Posted by wantcoffee View Post
      without having to pull the distributor.
      Read the fine print on what I posted - if you pull the two bolts on the alloy base piece, you don't actually touch the distributor setting, it stays clamped to the piece and nothing moves. Just be sure to not move the crankshaft, so the cam doesn't move either, then you can put the drive gear back in at the same angle.

But really, Ron and I agree - just pull the plugs and use the starter.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD

That is a very clever design. I had not understood the first time I read your post. I'm noticing a number of clever details in how these Volvos were made that you do not see on other vehicles.

You'll find the Swedes were clever, and achieved a simple, reliable design. Welcome!
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD

I think you should consider making that into a race car. That way you will only need brake lights, an external shut off switch, a fire extinguisher, a fuel cell and some belts.

Here is a video I took a few years ago. I catch up around 13:40. No sound, sorry.

https://youtu.be/u76Cg-dX1FE

And also try this one at about 9:30.

https://youtu.be/0VqyE3yPV1g?t=577
      Last edited by blueosprey90; 08-12-2020 at 09:21 PM.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements