Locked out once is enough
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

I went to start the car and must have hit the lock button on the fob, then shut the doors to run back in. Thankfully none of the kids were in the car (too young to crawl around and open a door).

My first reaction was to call the dealer less than a mile away and see about getting a valet key to manually unlock the door. I explained everything, key in ignition, car running, doors locked, just need a way in. No help. I was told They would need the car to program the key. I get that they have to program it to start the car but do they really need to program a key just so I can manually unlock doors?

I really don't want to spend $400+ on a new key, but I will if it means not going through this again. The wife was PISSED and the $400 might be worth it to sleep in my own bed. I just want a dummy key to open doors if this happens again. I can figure out a full second key and programming later.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The dealer can order a key with your vin. To use it in the ignition it has to be programmed to the car using VIDA. The switchblade remote is the expensive part. A valet key should be pretty cheap and not more than 1/2 hr labor to program it. The valet key should work in the door without programming, I think.
      2007 S60R GT, Magic Blue/Nordkap
      2005 S60 AWD, Silver/Black
      2001 C70 Coupe HPT, Black/Black
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive, Ember Black/Chestnut

Maybe try this place https://www.keylessshop.com/ I would not get just a dummy key for the door. Better to get one with the transponder because if you loose your only genuine key, it's an automatic tow to the dealer. The transponder is very cheap - I haven't tested how good are these, and can be programmed even remotely if you have a Dice unit https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32989132627.html You can also buy blank Volvo key online with a small hole to place the transponder in it

You may also contact this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp4t...ature=youtu.be
      I understand they can program remotely any module, including keys, if you have Dice
      I think this is their address
      TotalAutoTech
      225 San Jose Ave
      San Jose, CA 95125
      Last edited by Orange; 08-02-2020 at 12:57 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Your first challenge is to stop the engine. And even that is a big challenge. Starve it of oxygen? Starve it of fuel?

Cutting a new key with no blank requires the VIN, which you have luckily (on the front window).

Otherwise your best bet is one of those car break in companies that fit a wedge on the front door and reach in through the top with a long flexi pole and press the UNLOCK button on the drivers or passenger door

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ended up getting a locksmith to come and open the door. He used the airbag wedge and long stick method. My old Subaru had the frameless window and that was super easy to break into. The Volvo took him about 20 minutes. So I guess that's good news?

I'm quite pissed at myself because I left the car unlocked last night and someone went through it. They must have been looking for keys or cash because they left my GPS unit. Cops said there were 4 other "break-ins" like that on the street. My Nest cam was "offline" last night too. That thing is about to go into the chuckit bucket.

It sounds like a local indy shop can program the transponder for me, I just need to find a cut key. So I will probably go that route. Again, this is just a super short term to have something, literally anything better than calling another locksmith

I appreciate the replies. I'll look into some of those links Orange.

First thing you do is get a second blade key for a magnetic lock box and stick it somewhere on/in the subframe. Problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by The_Vermonster View Post
      I went to start the car and must have hit the lock button on the fob, then shut the doors to run back in. Thankfully none of the kids were in the car (too young to crawl around and open a door).

My first reaction was to call the dealer less than a mile away and see about getting a valet key to manually unlock the door. I explained everything, key in ignition, car running, doors locked, just need a way in. No help. I was told They would need the car to program the key. I get that they have to program it to start the car but do they really need to program a key just so I can manually unlock doors?

I really don't want to spend $400+ on a new key, but I will if it means not going through this again. The wife was PISSED and the $400 might be worth it to sleep in my own bed. I just want a dummy key to open doors if this happens again. I can figure out a full second key and programming later.
      I bought a blank key with fob and electronics on eBay. Haven't done the programming yet, but had the key cut for $35 at the only place in town that could do it. If you just want a key blank, look HERE
      If you look further for the whole monty, be sure that the serial number for the electronics as well as the kernal number for the immobilizer chip is supplied. Don't bother with pre-owned, they can't be programmed.
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Vermonster View Post
      I ended up getting a locksmith to come and open the door. He used the airbag wedge and long stick method. My old Subaru had the frameless window and that was super easy to break into. The Volvo took him about 20 minutes. So I guess that's good news?

I'm quite pissed at myself because I left the car unlocked last night and someone went through it. They must have been looking for keys or cash because they left my GPS unit. Cops said there were 4 other "break-ins" like that on the street. My Nest cam was "offline" last night too. That thing is about to go into the chuckit bucket.

It sounds like a local indy shop can program the transponder for me, I just need to find a cut key. So I will probably go that route. Again, this is just a super short term to have something, literally anything better than calling another locksmith

I appreciate the replies. I'll look into some of those links Orange.
      I highly doubt the local indie shop has access to Volvos’ central servers to add another key to the car....

Should be able to get another blade key made????? No????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post

I highly doubt the local indie shop has access to Volvos’ central servers to add another key to the car....

Key id on the key package is stored to the car with VIDA, if that was done centrally, could order the key programmed, but that just isnt how it works. The key code info volvo has is the cut of your doors and ignition so we can order them pre cut but then the car needs to be towed in to program new key id to car.

To the OP, make sure you bring any keys you have and ask dealer to delete any not present, that way if your stolen key comes back in the middle of the night, atleast they cant drive off with your car. Making the physical key not work would require replacing door lock cylinder and then wouldnt match your ignition key

Thanks everyone for the replies. In some ways I miss the good old days when you could steal, I mean start a car with a screwdriver.

I spoke with someone in parts at the dealership today. They're way nicer to deal with than the service guys. I'll share in case anyone comes across this later. There are two keys for this car, the switchblade+remote and a service (Valet) key. The service key only manually unlocks the Driver's door and starts the car. The switchblade and remote key needs 2 different types of programming. He gave me a few prices.

Service key+Programming $250
      Remote Key +Programming $450
      2 Remote Keys+Programming $750

He said they have blanks in stock and will copy my current key. I'd really prefer a new key from my VIN instead of copying an almost 10 year old key

The local indy shop said they technically could, but I needed to bring a cut, OEM key and packaging and it would cost almost the same as the dealer. He confirmed its the subscription and fees to Volvo that really keep him from doing it. Other shops just flat out don't deal with keys, understandable. I called a few locksmiths looking for just a service key, I got prices from $120 with no programming to $180 programmed. I asked if it would overwrite my current key and most couldn't say one way or another. I honestly doubt that they actually know how to program a Volvo key, but that's not a chance I'm willing to take.

At this point I am leaning towards just a service key. It's cheaper than having the car towed to the dealership which would have to happen if I were to lose my only good key. It's not that much more expensive than the locksmiths, and I'm guaranteed that it works without messing anything else up.

i just order 2 for 116 bucks supposed to be new they say take to dealer to program. i let you know how it goes, ill get programing done first. if that works cutting blanks no hard.
      08 XC90 3.2 AWD just over 200k km and moody

I forgot my keys in the car and did the same thing years ago (a few times). I've been really lucky over the last few decades.
      I had a friend who said he would add an unlock button on the underside of his car in a sealed spot because he was worried about this. I think this is genius, if it can be pulled off but I have no idea how to go about doing it. Even better if it can simply be two wires that need to be connected together to close the circuit and unlock (or I guess lock, too). They could be isolated from each other (maybe one is capped) and connected only in a time of need.

Anyone want to try it and post some simple instructions? A small afternoon project on a weekend to prevent 400 dollar mistakes or worse - if someone had locked their kid or dog in the car on a 110F summer day.
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      I forgot my keys in the car and did the same thing years ago (a few times). I've been really lucky over the last few decades.
      I had a friend who said he would add an unlock button on the underside of his car in a sealed spot because he was worried about this. I think this is genius, if it can be pulled off but I have no idea how to go about doing it. Even better if it can simply be two wires that need to be connected together to close the circuit and unlock (or I guess lock, too). They could be isolated from each other (maybe one is capped) and connected only in a time of need.

Anyone want to try it and post some simple instructions? A small afternoon project on a weekend to prevent 400 dollar mistakes or worse - if someone had locked their kid or dog in the car on a 110F summer day.
      That will not work. The Volvo deadlocks. That means that when the deadlocks are set (a few minutes after locking the car) a person inside the car cannot open a physical door lock and also cannot press the unlock button. Try it!

If you wanted to unlock a door electrically with wires running to the outside of the car then you need to start playing with the door solenoid wiring going to a door. A rear door or the tailgate may be the easiest to access as the wiring is simpler than the front door. Regardless of what you do, you need to cut and interrupt the door solenoid wiring and fit a relay that can then switch the solenoid from normal operation to the polarity needed to unlock the lock.

A lot of mucking about. It would be MUCH cheaper and easier to have a plastic key cut and stored in your wallet as an emergency key.

Well, in P2 land, we can unlock and lock. Happens all the time. We're leaving to go somewhere and I or my wife will say, "Forgot to lock the doors." and we click the button driving down the road. A lot of mucking about, but worth a shot for someone who may not have a car new enough with that lockout. Otherwise, you're probably right.
      Quote Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
      That will not work. The Volvo deadlocks. That means that when the deadlocks are set (a few minutes after locking the car) a person inside the car cannot open a physical door lock and also cannot press the unlock button. Try it!

If you wanted to unlock a door electrically with wires running to the outside of the car then you need to start playing with the door solenoid wiring going to a door. A rear door or the tailgate may be the easiest to access as the wiring is simpler than the front door. Regardless of what you do, you need to cut and interrupt the door solenoid wiring and fit a relay that can then switch the solenoid from normal operation to the polarity needed to unlock the lock.

A lot of mucking about. It would be MUCH cheaper and easier to have a plastic key cut and stored in your wallet as an emergency key.

"The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Well, in P2 land, we can unlock and lock. Happens all the time. We're leaving to go somewhere and I or my wife will say, "Forgot to lock the doors." and we click the button driving down the road. A lot of mucking about, but worth a shot for someone who may not have a car new enough with that lockout. Otherwise, you're probably right.
      But the OP wanted to unlock the car by pressing the vehicles internal unlock button AFTER the car has been closed and locked and gone to sleep.

Try it: sit inside the car.
      Remove key from ignition, lock the car using the key remote control.
      As soon as the car is locked, the internal buttons LOCK/UNLOCK buttons are disabled. Both driver’s side and passenger side.

PS: behaviour may vary by market. I am not sure what country / market you are in. I have just checked and confirmed this behaviour in my European spec XC90.

Last edited by SwissXC90; 08-06-2020 at 12:33 PM.

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements