Locked out once is enough
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Locked out once is enough

I went to start the car and must have hit the lock button on the fob, then shut the doors to run back in. Thankfully none of the kids were in the car (too young to crawl around and open a door).

My first reaction was to call the dealer less than a mile away and see about getting a valet key to manually unlock the door. I explained everything, key in ignition, car running, doors locked, just need a way in. No help. I was told They would need the car to program the key. I get that they have to program it to start the car but do they really need to program a key just so I can manually unlock doors?

I really don't want to spend $400+ on a new key, but I will if it means not going through this again. The wife was PISSED and the $400 might be worth it to sleep in my own bed. I just want a dummy key to open doors if this happens again. I can figure out a full second key and programming later.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The dealer can order a key with your vin. To use it in the ignition it has to be programmed to the car using VIDA. The switchblade remote is the expensive part. A valet key should be pretty cheap and not more than 1/2 hr labor to program it. The valet key should work in the door without programming, I think.
      2007 S60R GT, Magic Blue/Nordkap
      2005 S60 AWD, Silver/Black
      2001 C70 Coupe HPT, Black/Black
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive, Ember Black/Chestnut

Maybe try this place https://www.keylessshop.com/ I would not get just a dummy key for the door. Better to get one with the transponder because if you loose your only genuine key, it's an automatic tow to the dealer. The transponder is very cheap - I haven't tested how good are these, and can be programmed even remotely if you have a Dice unit https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32989132627.html You can also buy blank Volvo key online with a small hole to place the transponder in it

You may also contact this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp4t...ature=youtu.be
      I understand they can program remotely any module, including keys, if you have Dice
      I think this is their address
      TotalAutoTech
      225 San Jose Ave
      San Jose, CA 95125
      Last edited by Orange; Yesterday at 12:57 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Your first challenge is to stop the engine. And even that is a big challenge. Starve it of oxygen? Starve it of fuel?

Cutting a new key with no blank requires the VIN, which you have luckily (on the front window).

Otherwise your best bet is one of those car break in companies that fit a wedge on the front door and reach in through the top with a long flexi pole and press the UNLOCK button on the drivers or passenger door

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ended up getting a locksmith to come and open the door. He used the airbag wedge and long stick method. My old Subaru had the frameless window and that was super easy to break into. The Volvo took him about 20 minutes. So I guess that's good news?

I'm quite pissed at myself because I left the car unlocked last night and someone went through it. They must have been looking for keys or cash because they left my GPS unit. Cops said there were 4 other "break-ins" like that on the street. My Nest cam was "offline" last night too. That thing is about to go into the chuckit bucket.

It sounds like a local indy shop can program the transponder for me, I just need to find a cut key. So I will probably go that route. Again, this is just a super short term to have something, literally anything better than calling another locksmith

I appreciate the replies. I'll look into some of those links Orange.

First thing you do is get a second blade key for a magnetic lock box and stick it somewhere on/in the subframe. Problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by The_Vermonster View Post
      I went to start the car and must have hit the lock button on the fob, then shut the doors to run back in. Thankfully none of the kids were in the car (too young to crawl around and open a door).

My first reaction was to call the dealer less than a mile away and see about getting a valet key to manually unlock the door. I explained everything, key in ignition, car running, doors locked, just need a way in. No help. I was told They would need the car to program the key. I get that they have to program it to start the car but do they really need to program a key just so I can manually unlock doors?

I really don't want to spend $400+ on a new key, but I will if it means not going through this again. The wife was PISSED and the $400 might be worth it to sleep in my own bed. I just want a dummy key to open doors if this happens again. I can figure out a full second key and programming later.
      I bought a blank key with fob and electronics on eBay. Haven't done the programming yet, but had the key cut for $35 at the only place in town that could do it. If you just want a key blank, look HERE
      If you look further for the whole monty, be sure that the serial number for the electronics as well as the kernal number for the immobilizer chip is supplied. Don't bother with pre-owned, they can't be programmed.
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Vermonster View Post
      I ended up getting a locksmith to come and open the door. He used the airbag wedge and long stick method. My old Subaru had the frameless window and that was super easy to break into. The Volvo took him about 20 minutes. So I guess that's good news?

I'm quite pissed at myself because I left the car unlocked last night and someone went through it. They must have been looking for keys or cash because they left my GPS unit. Cops said there were 4 other "break-ins" like that on the street. My Nest cam was "offline" last night too. That thing is about to go into the chuckit bucket.

It sounds like a local indy shop can program the transponder for me, I just need to find a cut key. So I will probably go that route. Again, this is just a super short term to have something, literally anything better than calling another locksmith

I appreciate the replies. I'll look into some of those links Orange.
      I highly doubt the local indie shop has access to Volvos’ central servers to add another key to the car....

Should be able to get another blade key made????? No????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post

I highly doubt the local indie shop has access to Volvos’ central servers to add another key to the car....

Key id on the key package is stored to the car with VIDA, if that was done centrally, could order the key programmed, but that just isnt how it works. The key code info volvo has is the cut of your doors and ignition so we can order them pre cut but then the car needs to be towed in to program new key id to car.

To the OP, make sure you bring any keys you have and ask dealer to delete any not present, that way if your stolen key comes back in the middle of the night, atleast they cant drive off with your car. Making the physical key not work would require replacing door lock cylinder and then wouldnt match your ignition key

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements