SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2021s: Pricing, Changes, etc

6K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  lucas1872 
#1 ·
I decided to start looking at replacing my 2015 M235xi a few weeks ago and landed on an XC40 as being by far and away my first choice - specifically a T5 Inscription.

Looking online around my area it seemed like there aren't any on the lot - called my local dealer and was told that the 2021s are going to start landing sometime in September, and that I should put down a deposit to be able to snag one of the first ones.

As a first-time Volvo buyer who's eligible for A-Plan Elite, this spurned a couple of questions on my end:

- Will the 2021s be A-Plan eligible immediately?
- Should I expect XC40 demand to be big enough that the '21s will be selling around MSRP for the first few months, or should I expect to be able to get any dealer discounts off the bat?

Beyond that, it looks like the changes aren't huge according to my dealer:

- The Climate Package has been changed (as someone here has said already)
- Extra USB-C Port(s) in the backseat
- No more 4C Suspension Package available at all (this was news to him as well, someone overheard us and let us know)
- Small changes to standard equipment on lower trims, for the most part (I think Navigation was one of them?)

He had a spec sheet to show me, but I didn't think to snag it from him when I was there in person.

In the end, I signed a letter of intent for a '21 T5 Inscription pretty much fully loaded, but only with 19s. I haven't been asked to put a deposit down yet, but I should know more as the beginning of September approaches.

Anyone else looking at the '21s and/or aware of any substantial differences, or have opinions on what pricing will look like? We didn't negotiate much in-person when I showed up, but I'm not expecting much. My trade hasn't appraised yet

See less See more
#4 ·
OSD prices for 2021s are out and there is a link in the OSD forum. *You can see that Volvo modified the packaging some. *What really stood out, to me, is the packaging and pricing for the Momentum has gone down quite a bit. *For 2020 a comparably equipped Momentum was priced higher than the Inscription (when completely and fully optioned). *That is not the case now. *Leather seats are standard so that makes a difference too. *While the build site is not updated yet you might be able to infer from the OSD spec sheet how you want to equip and price what you are looking for.

#9 ·
We're on the East Coast and the dealers have '21s. We factory ordered a '21 on Aug 1st with an estimated delivery date in early Oct. We evaluated all the cars that were being shipped in every month through Oct and none matched what were looking for (Blue Inscription/Blonde Interior) so it made the most sense to order. Total price was a few hundred cheaper than what I saw when configuring online with the 2020 configurator. Hope this helps.

#10 ·
We just acquired a 2020 rdesign today on a lease return of our 19 xc40. Had a choice of a 2021 rdesign but went for the 2020 because of slight appearance changes in the 2021 model that actually make a big difference imo. The back of the 21 does not have the chrome cutouts for exhaust, just regular bumper. Also, the transition from the black roof to paint no longer has the embossed r-design lettering. Just plain. In my opinion loses some of the sporty look with those 2 slight changes. Otherwise no real changes since even 2019

#11 ·
Looking at pictures of 2021s on the dealership websites that have them (Boston Volvo Cars seems to be the most comprehensive), it looks like one notable change that I don't see talked about anywhere else is the removal of paddle shifters for the R-Design models.

I saw this mentioned in another XC40 forum, and it appears to be true from what I can see.

It looks like there's no more chrome exhaust tips on the Momentum or R-Design trim either. Curious removal - not something that I particularly care about, but others might.

#13 · (Edited)
I've seen a few XC40 MY21s showing up on the lots nearby and found this on the VolvoXC40Forum to summarize what has been mentioned before:

"Paddle shifters on R Design. REMOVED
Twin exit chrome exhausts. REMOVED
Embossing on leather seats. REMOVED
Embossing on C Pillar. REMOVED
Embossing on tread plates. REMOVED
Electric folding rear seats. REMOVED
Folding rear head rests. REMOVED
Close & Lock button on trunk. REMOVED"

Not sure if it's fully comprehensive. At least it seems rear heated seats, heated wiper blades, and USB-C ports are some of the added options...

#14 · (Edited)
I've seen a few XC40 MY21s showing up on the lots nearby and found this on the VolvoXC40Forum to summarize what has been mentioned before:

Not sure if it's fully comprehensive. At least it seems rear heated seats, heated wiper blades, and USB-C ports are some of the added options...
I could be wrong, but I believe at least the electric rear seat recline was removed for 2020, not the latest MY:

> The ability to power fold the rear seats has evaporated from the XC40 lineup.

This is from 2020 changes on https://www.caranddriver.com/volvo/xc40

#17 ·
A plan is eligible as Nick said. We are having significant challenges keeping XC40s in stock, especially R design and Inscription. I think it was in July I mentioned we would be sold out of 2020s in a month or so and someone tired to say I was posting sensationalism sales rubbish... we'll it's pretty much the case. I have one or two left and that's that. We sold our first batch of 21s within 2 weeks of getting them. Dealers aren't really open to trades right now. Inventory is tight.

Not many changes at the inscription level other than the loss of 4c. Momentum gets standard leather again. A few other little changes and the new connected safety feature. Care key as well, which I wish wasn't orange... who wants a 2nd key to be orange?

#18 ·
I was at the dealership near my house today getting an oil change on our XC40 and noticed a good selection of XC40s. I checked the website and they had 12 ‘20s and 7 21’s. About half were RD and Inscriptions.

The 21’s were listed at a discount of around $2k off sticker price.

#19 ·
Well as of today I'm completely sold out of both 2020s and 2021 XC40s other than two demos. Volvo called to offer us some more which we accepted, but it'll be awhile till they are here.

#20 ·
Good for you [emoji106][emoji2]. I have noticed many more XC40's and XC60's when driving around Bux/Mont lately.

#21 ·
Hello fellow Volvo XC40 enthusiasts. I recently joined the XC40 family, and I'm loving every moment of it. The combination of style, safety, and technology in this compact SUV is simply outstanding. It's a true testament to Volvo's commitment to innovation and excellence. Looking forward to hearing your experiences and tips with this amazing vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.