factory V90 foldable tow hitch availability
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

I am finding it important to have a factory foldable hitch installed on my 2020 V90 Rdesign. I had an opportunity to have it installed at the factory but thought I wouldn't need it....until covid-19 hit. Now I've found myself getting reintroduced to bikes and travel in ways I never thought I would be into a year ago when I ordered my V90. Do any of my friends at Swedespeed have favorite Volvo dealers that you trust to install the factory device...or do any of you have other thoughts regarding the factory foldable hitch.. I have a Kvat bike carrier, trailer hitch that is absolutely superior and am looking for a factory solution to connect it with. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this issue!
      2005 XC 70
      2017 V60 R
      2020 V90 R
      2004 Jaguar XKR

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The factory folding hitch for the V90 cannot accept a US square bike rack receiver. It's a tow ball only. A stealth hitch may be better

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
      Current:
      2018 V90CC ,Osmium Grey / Blond, Luxury Package, Heads Up Display, B&W Sound, Trailer Hitch, Convenience Package, Polestar - "Julia" ,August 2017 OSD
      1987 Ferrari Testarossa - "Scarlett"
      2003 Porsche 911 - "Sally"

Sold:
      1987 Mercedes 300TD - "Veggie" ran off vegetable oil.
      2002 V70XC - "Lisbeth" - Sold 4/14/2018 with 130,202 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by kartboy1234 View Post
      The factory folding hitch for the V90 cannot accept a US square bike rack receiver. It's a tow ball only. A stealth hitch may be better

Thanks, kartboy. The reason I asked, in my web searching, I ran across a diagram of the kit along with a description stating that the receiver had a removable ball kit and would also indicate that a shorter 2" receiver was part of the kit. One caveat that it mentioned was the it only had a 2 1/2" length to the hitch pin but would work fine for a bike receiver type carrier.
      For the life of me, I can't return to whatever web site that had this info. Any newer searchs just show the non-detachable ball. So, I guess the Stealth hitch is the only answer.
      Thanks for the tip!
      I really thought that what I saw was the newer improved solution from Volvo.
      2005 XC 70
      2017 V60 R
      2020 V90 R
      2004 Jaguar XKR

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by verdeo View Post
      Thanks, kartboy. The reason I asked, in my web searching, I ran across a diagram of the kit along with a description stating that the receiver had a removable ball kit and would also indicate that a shorter 2" receiver was part of the kit. One caveat that it mentioned was the it only had a 2 1/2" length to the hitch pin but would work fine for a bike receiver type carrier.
      For the life of me, I can't return to whatever web site that had this info. Any newer searchs just show the non-detachable ball. So, I guess the Stealth hitch is the only answer.
      Thanks for the tip!
      I really thought that what I saw was the newer improved solution from Volvo.
      I did find a Volvo site with detailed instructions for the hitch that I saw, only for an XC90. It clearly shows a detachable ball hook with a 2" receiver that remains. It also features a storage kit for the detachable ball piece.
      I'm just curious as to what this is all about.
      https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...ntry(19-)/2021
      2005 XC 70
      2017 V60 R
      2020 V90 R
      2004 Jaguar XKR

Verdeo, check this option, people here have installed it
      https://stealthhitches.com/products/...2020#more-info
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

Quote Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
      Verdeo, check this option, people here have installed it
      https://stealthhitches.com/products/...2020#more-info
      The stealth hitch would be the better option and it's less expensive. I like the novelty of the folding hitch, but I can only use it for towing.

Current:
      2018 V90CC ,Osmium Grey / Blond, Luxury Package, Heads Up Display, B&W Sound, Trailer Hitch, Convenience Package, Polestar - "Julia" ,August 2017 OSD

Sold:

I did find a Volvo site with detailed instructions for the hitch that I saw, only for an XC90. It clearly shows a detachable ball hook with a 2" receiver that remains. It also features a storage kit for the detachable ball piece.
      I'm just curious as to what this is all about.
      https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...ntry(19-)/2021
      This hitch is for the v60xc. They seemed to have learned that Americans want a square receiver. I don't know if it could fit. I assume if you bought both and took them apart then you could make something that fits, I thought about that

Current:

Sold:

Ha! OK, I am mistaken. I appreciate all of the comments above and I will go for the Slealth hitch. I just thought it would be cool to find the factory hitch with the detachable capability. Now I can cease and desist! I am concerned about finding a hitch installer that won't butcher my rear fascia..or worse. If any of you have recommendations for someone within a days drive of Milwaukee...I'd consider driving to have it mounted.

Than ks to all for enllightening me.
      2005 XC 70
      2017 V60 R
      2020 V90 R
      2004 Jaguar XKR

I was excited when I found the once for the V60XC, sadly it won't fit on my V90 CC

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-516542/2020

I am finding it important to have a factory foldable hitch installed on my 2020 V90 Rdesign. I had an opportunity to have it installed at the factory but thought I wouldn't need it....until covid-19 hit. Now I've found myself getting reintroduced to bikes and travel in ways I never thought I would be into a year ago when I ordered my V90. Do any of my friends at Swedespeed have favorite Volvo dealers that you trust to install the factory device...or do any of you have other thoughts regarding the factory foldable hitch.. I have a Kvat bike carrier, trailer hitch that is absolutely superior and am looking for a factory solution to connect it with. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this issue!
      Hi. My neighbor is a big DIY guy and posts to his Youtube channel. He recently posted a video on installing a hide-away trailer hitch to his XC90. The instructions are very similar to the PDF pocholin posted on 8/5/20, for a V90. In his video, it looks like a straight forward DIY project, with the risky step of cutting the interior lower bumper fascia to allow for the hidden hitch travel. Also, the video mentioned a dealer step so that the dash control unit can be programmed to recognize the wired hitch.

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7H03PfMJgQ

The lack of a folding rear receiver for the v90 has really been bugging me too. I scoured the forums hoping to find a report from someone who purchased the XC90 or V60 CC version and successfully mounted it to a V90 - but no such luck.

I've got a Stealth Hitch (2" receiver for racks only, no tow bar) sitting in a box right now. I think I'll tackle the install tomorrow using these instructions: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/21...f?v=1588336855

I'm not a DIY guy on cars, but this looks really straight forward with basic tools. I already had all the tools in the garage, except I needed to buy a new torque wrench as when I went to grab my old one it was leaking oil everywhere. I'll report back if there are any issues with the instructions.
      2008 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI
      2013 Porsche Carrera S cabriolet 7MT
      2020 Volvo V90 T6 Inscription with Polestar optimization

Maggs, thank you for this! It is a big help for determining which way to go. Tommy L. Garage makes it very clear and relatively painless to install. I didn't realize that the Volvo controller waas part of the towing kit. On another note, there's a gal on youtube with a 2 minute video of her Volvo dealer factory installation of the folding hitch.
      It's pretty scary as the hitch doesn't work very well in operation, plus she shows just how ugly the rear cover cutout was accomplished. If that's the way factory is installed...I'm doing my own as Tommy showed! BTW, her factory folding hitch did have a short receiver in that video.
      2005 XC 70
      2017 V60 R
      2020 V90 R
      2004 Jaguar XKR

If any of you have recommendations for someone within a days drive of Milwaukee...I'd consider driving to have it mounted.

Than ks to all for enllightening me.

If you're willing to make the drive up to Minneapolis, Rack Attack did a great job with the Stealth Hitch on my V90CC

Quote Originally Posted by mcmatt View Post
      If you're willing to make the drive up to Minneapolis, Rack Attack did a great job with the Stealth Hitch on my V90CC
      mcmatt, how much dis Rack Attack charge for installation? Thanks!

Thanks, Mcmatt! I'm thinking that I will try the installation myself after viewing maggs' youtube suggestion! One thing with the V90, I don't have to pull fender flares. One of the best things about the Stealth install is not having to cut much from under the fascia.
      2005 XC 70
      2017 V60 R
      2020 V90 R
      2004 Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by fusace View Post
      mcmatt, how much dis Rack Attack charge for installation? Thanks!
      Install was $530 at Rack Attack for doing the combo hitch (receiver and tow package). I also had to have my Volvo dealer do the programming, but that cost was fairly minimal, I think (maybe $50?)

thank you! appreciate the update

Volvo (at least in Canada) never offered the foldable hitch for the V90 - only the V90CC. And even that is not available at the moment. I have been holding out on the hitch decision, hoping that Volvo will offer the upgraded foldable hitch (with receiver and removable ball - like the V60 CC hitch) but it looks like the sales numbers aren’t worth the trouble. So Stealth is only way to go.

I would prefer an OEM hitch vs Stealth simply because you can fold it with the ball attached - which is one less thing to forget or store in the virtually non-existent underfloor storage of the V90 CC (unless you ditch the spare tire). For such a relatively large wagon, it doesn’t have a lot of space for “stuff”.

I installed the Stealth hitch on my V90 this weekend. It was super easy and the instructions were mostly right on. The crash structure under my bumper skin (2020 model year) looked a bit different than the pics in the instructions and there were some extra plastic pieces that needed to be removed to get to the nuts to remove the reinforcement beam. If this is the same on your car, it's obvious what needs to be removed to get access to the nuts, and everything "extra" unclips very easily and mounts back up for reinstall without issues.

I also think the instructions are off with their recommendation to use a Dremel for the bumper cutout. I didn't have an attachment that made a good cut so I wouldn't personally recommend it. I got a perfect cut with a fresh blade on a utility knife. I cut from the inside, taking a few shallow passes to make it through the bumper skin, with a piece of cardboard from the box under the bumper skin to cut into. No need to file, and you can use the knife to make sure there are no sharp spots to bite you as you use the hitch.

The hardest part is step 3 in the instructions (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/21...f?v=1588336855). Unless you jack the car up and remove a tire you are going to be doing it mostly by feel with little clearance between the tire, bumper, and fender liners for your hand(s) to fit in. The first one took me a few minutes to get off, but the second one was easier once I knew what to do. Same with the reinstall of this clip, first one took a couple of minutes to get the orientation correct, clip secured, and screw back in, but the second was much faster.

Take your time with pulling the bumper skin off and pay attention to where the tabs are and how they clip in. Take some time on re-install to ensure every tab is back back into the locking channel and not getting folded out of the way without clipping in. As the instructions say, work from the center of the bumper out towards each wheel well. As you do this, you'll find you need to ensure the next few tabs (or bumper section) is mostly lined up to allow the tab you are working on getting locked in will actually click into place. The cover should mostly just slip back into place, if you find you are trying to force it you either don't have the next tabs queued up properly or one you already put in place is off.

I forgot to time the install, but I think I did it in less than 2 hours including time to wait for my wife to assist with the bumper removal and reinstall (you'll for sure want a helper for this part, mostly just to get the wire harnesses unclipped / re-clipped.) Overall, I am not a DIY guy for cars, but can turn a wrench and understand how things go together. This was an easy project to tackle for me.
      Last edited by Mountain_Smith; 08-09-2020 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmatt View Post
      There is also one in the north burbs of Chicago, which should be pretty easy from Milwaukee. They did a great job installing mine.

I just pulled the trigger on a Stealth Hitch combo pack for my V90CC. Volvo Canada has the updated foldable hitch for the XC90, XC60, and V60 CC with receiver and removable ball attachment - but the V90CC only has the fixed foldable ball according to the latest update - and no plans to change in the near future, according to my dealer. I'll probably tackle the installation myself when the rack gets here.

I echo Mountain_Smith's recommendation to use a utility knife vs Dremel to do the cutout. I had to trim the bumper around the factory hitch on my old car (after the bumper cover was replaced - and the dealer didn't leave enough room to install the hitch pin... of course I didn't discover this until the moment I needed to tow something). So got out the Dremel and proceeded to make a sloppy mess of the cutout. It is very hard to make a clean straight cut with a Dremel - the plastic is quite thin and the Dremel heats it up enough that some of it will melt, leaving an edge that you have to sand to finish. For this install, I plan to radius the corners of the cut using a 1/4 drill bit, then cut with a utility knife and new blade.

I am really grateful for all of the responses to this thread! I've learned so much as I study options from all of your posts! I have ordered the Stealth Hitch..late last night. Thanks to all for various details, especially with mountain-smith's post, Tommy L's video and other hints!
      I think the best video against the factory hitch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wiTr-MfUWQ is hilarious and really pushed me over the edge with the Stealth! What an ugly installation and cutting that much is rreally an eyesore in my mind.
      So now I wait, but I'm looking forward to using my recent QuickJacks to help get this accomplished. BTW, QuickJacks with extenders are just perfect for the V90 length!
      Last edited by verdeo; 08-12-2020 at 10:52 PM.
      2005 XC 70
      2017 V60 R
      2020 V90 R
      2004 Jaguar XKR

Just put 1500 miles on my new 2020 V90 (bringing it up to just over 2000 total miles now) over the past 2 weeks with my Stealth Hitch / 1Up rack on a mountain biking trip from the San Francisco Bay Area (departing from Sonoma County just before the fires) to Bend, Oregon then down to Incline Village, Nevada (Lake Tahoe) and then back to San Francisco.

The hitch and the V90 performed flawlessly. Super glad I got the rear air suspension, and you could see and hear it adjusting every time I loaded up the car, and the V90 is long enough and low enough already.

I only got a couple of pics of the car at the start of the trip:

Last edited by Mountain_Smith; 09-01-2020 at 09:25 PM.

Very nice! I like how the 1Up looks like it keeps the bikes closer to the rear of the car with less overhang than a Thule, Yakima, or my Kuat. I'm assuming you can still access the hatch with the tilt down? I don't have the rear air suspension so anticipating a bit of sag when loaded up. I'm still waiting for my Stealth hitch - hasn't shipped yet.

Why not use a roof rack? I have mine set up so it can fit up to three bikes (my road and fat bike and my wife's hybrid). Much easier solution IMO.
      09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 Single Turbo / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline
      07 BMW R1200S: Akrapovic / Ohlins / Quickshifter
      19 Volvo V90 T6: R-Design / Bowers & Wilkins / Polestar Optimization

Quote Originally Posted by cloud9blue View Post
      Why not use a roof rack? I have mine set up so it can fit up to three bikes (my road and fat bike and my wife's hybrid). Much easier solution IMO.
      I have roof rack carriers and a hitch carrier (No hitch yet - still waiting for Stealth to fulfill my order...)

Given a choice I would always use my hitch carrier because I could still drive into any garage (including my own ) with 2 bikes loaded. As well the hitch rack is quieter and easier to load. The main reason is I often have a roof box on top so could only fit one fork mount beside the box with my old OEM rack. I’ve had both types for years and used the hitch racks far more than the roof racks - only using the roof racks (one fork mount and two Thule Side arms if I needed to carry more than 2 bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by CedarMtn View Post
      I have roof rack carriers and a hitch carrier (No hitch yet - still waiting for Stealth to fulfill my order...)

Given a choice I would always use my hitch carrier because I could still drive into any garage (including my own ) with 2 bikes loaded. As well the hitch rack is quieter and easier to load. The main reason is I often have a roof box on top so could only fit one fork mount beside the box with my old OEM rack. I’ve had both types for years and used the hitch racks far more than the roof racks - only using the roof racks (one fork mount and two Thule Side arms if I needed to carry more than 2 bikes.
      These are the same reasons I much prefer hitch to roof rack. On big trips, I'm going to have a box, plus hitch is less drag, easier to load, less worry about clearances, etc. Plus, for the pic above, are there good roof rack options these days for fat bikes (assuming you'd want to try to load 30 lb bikes on the roof)?

Quote Originally Posted by jnrjr79 View Post
      These are the same reasons I much prefer hitch to roof rack. On big trips, I'm going to have a box, plus hitch is less drag, easier to load, less worry about clearances, etc. Plus, for the pic above, are there good roof rack options these days for fat bikes (assuming you'd want to try to load 30 lb bikes on the roof)?
      To each of their own I guess. I prefer the roof rack much better since I can access the trunk without any hassle and doesn’t block the parking sensors and 360 cameras as I frequently drives/parks in the cities.

I am far from the strongest guy, but lifting my 30lb fat bike isn’t too bad. V90 sits pretty low and makes it easy to load comparing to the XC or CC cars. I use the RockyMounts Brassknuckles rack. Highly recommend them. They are stable even up to triple digit speed and doesn’t touch the bike frames if you have nice bikes that don’t want to scratch up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 Single Turbo / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline
      07 BMW R1200S: Akrapovic / Ohlins / Quickshifter
      19 Volvo V90 T6: R-Design / Bowers & Wilkins / Polestar Optimization

Quote Originally Posted by cloud9blue View Post
      To each of their own I guess. I prefer the roof rack much better since I can access the trunk without any hassle and doesn’t block the parking sensors and 360 cameras as I frequently drives/parks in the cities.

I am far from the strongest guy, but lifting my 30lb fat bike isn’t too bad. V90 sits pretty low and makes it easy to load comparing to the XC or CC cars. I use the RockyMounts Brassknuckles rack. Highly recommend them. They are stable even up to triple digit speed and doesn’t touch the bike frames if you have nice bikes that don’t want to scratch up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You make a good point with the rear camera and sensors with using the hitch rack. When I shift into reverse, the warning noise plays continuously, you can't see as well with the camera, and you lose the proximity detection. That is definitely annoying.

Just an update. I received my Stealth Hitch Saturday afternoon and went at the install Sunday morning. This package is an impressive product with the fit and finish simply superior! My hat is off to this coompany for offering such a fine product. I had many reservations for this self install, but went ahead anyway. I'm good with nuts and bolts and mechanical things, but the thought of tearing the back of the V90 apart really caused some trepidation on my part.
      I was encouraged by viewing all the videos that I could find, with Tommy L Garage's video as the primary helper. That soon ended up being misleading for me, as I discovered things are rather different on the V90. As for the cutting part, no tin snips are necessary for cutting the heat shield. Also when carefully studying and plotting out the under side of the rear fascia, the measurements on the Stealth diagram were spot on. It just looked as though the cut was going to be much larger than it really is. After actually viewing the underside of the bumper on the ground and oriented exactly like the instruction, it becomes clear. A few cuts with the knife worked very quickly!
      The next part, installing the Volvo electrical hardware was where I really ran into trouble. I ended up uninstalling the whole passenger side of the rear panel just to get it out of the way. This was anxiety inducing for me, as how these components are fitted is not something I'm familiar with at all. I pushed on, fitted everything except the wiring harness, which is not at all like the XC90 video. As the instructions point out the wiring has to go behind the wheel well where there's a rubber grommet not being used. Once I understood where the wiring needed to go I realized how logical the instructions were. Running the harness under the cargo latching assembly on the passenger side required more disassembly, but it threaded through after a fashion. From realizing how that was intended things then went very smoothly. Re-installing everything was scary but went well.

So, I am thrilled to now have a beautiful hitch with the minimal cutout underneath, which can't be seen unless you are under the rear looking up. The dimensions in the instructions fit very nicely once the hitch in installed. There is just a fraction of clearence where needed and I salute Steath for making such an exact detail!

I had ordered the whole kit with carrying case for the two attachments and it is a very classy case. I'm very happy and want to thank all of the posters for helping me through all the options.
      2005 XC 70
      2017 V60 R
      2020 V90 R
      2004 Jaguar XKR

I bought the Volvo hitch a couple months ago and finally got around to installing it over this past weekend. I wanted it on before taking the car in for its 20k mile servicing so they could just load the required software at the same time.

We only plan to use it as needed and on rare occasions to flat tow our old VW. I like how the Volvo hitch integrates into the existing bank of switches and that the reverse cam adapts to track where the hitch will line up.

Only thing I don't potentially like is that there's now a gaping hole in the lower rear bumper that seems like a prime spot for snow and salt to get up into during the winter.

2020-09-22.jpg
      2020-09-22 (1).jpg

34. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements