Ac stopped working on my 2011 XC60
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Ac stopped working on my 2011 XC60

Clutch cycles very slowly about every 2 sec. Thoughts?
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Putertech View Post
      Clutch cycles very slowly about every 2 sec. Thoughts?
      Low system pressure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      2015 V60 R-Design - Onyx Black Metallic / Off Black
      2004 Mazda 6s Touring - 3.0 V6 / Manual
      2008 Suzuki SV650 - Pearl Novelty Black
      2002 SVT Focus Turbo - Dead and gone

quick diagnosis?....refrigerant low. now the question is why. But, it's worth a shot to charge it using one of those do-iy-yourself deals....
      not what i usually recommend however. I believe in troubleshooting methodically, starting with high/low side pressure readings.....and more questions...

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Pressure reads max I red zone when I connect ac pro diy

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

Pressure reads max I red zone when I connect ac pro diy

So in order to actually check the pressure, the compressor must be running. So, hook your gauge back up and fire up the car. Turn the a/c on and see where the gauge goes when the clutch engages. It should dip down upon engagement then come back up into the red area when disengaged.

Basically what I believe is happening is the a/c pressure switch is looking for a certain amount of pressure within a set amount of time. If it doesn't see this, it will shut off to prevent damage. Then keep pulsing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      2015 V60 R-Design - Onyx Black Metallic / Off Black
      2004 Mazda 6s Touring - 3.0 V6 / Manual
      2008 Suzuki SV650 - Pearl Novelty Black
      2002 SVT Focus Turbo - Dead and gone

Tried that but the clutch barely moves or move very slowly

ok...with the engine not running, static system pressure high side and low will be equal and usually runs about 100 psi. That is a number I have seen in numerous cars over decades of servicing with proper operating systems. It is not necessarily a diagnostic number ,but helps. So, thats why the diy gauge shows red while the engine is not running as the red zone is only for the low side while the engine is running.
      The compressor is not just a compressor, it is also a vacuum pump. When the compressor kicks on, it creates a high side pressure and a low side pressure. The diy gauge reads the low side and should drop out of the red . The low pressure switch will shut the compressor off if the low side pressure is too low. If the system refrigerant level is too low, it may take a little time for the compressor to suck in enough refrigerant to stop the pressure switch from deactivating the compressor.........If you have let enough time pass and the system is not taking refrigerant, you have deeper problems.

Tried that but the clutch barely moves or move very slowly
      On a 3.2 ac clutch I have seen what i imagine is a non metallic noise reduction ring come loose between the clutch plate and the pulley preventing the clutch from engaging, the only way to find out is to loosen compressor and take outer clutch plate off.

If the clutch cycles on and off rapidly (but engages normally when on) - as others have suggested the system might be very low - due to a leak.

OK, also understand that there are shims there too

Wait a minute. XC60 has no pressure cycling switch. It is a thermal expansion valve refrigerant control system which also uses a variable displacement compressor. Without a low pressure switch low refrigerant doesn't cause the rapid clutch cycling. The clutch only comes on once per key cycle unless there is a fault management reason the ECM shuts compressor off. Excess high side pressure due to fans not running would be a reason to shut off compressor. As a result of FAR fewer clutch cycles the clutch doesn't wear and need shims remove to reduce clutch gap. The compressor pumping volume is reduced via the PWM controlled solenoid instead off clutch cycling a the evaporator temp gets close to freeze point. On P2 you have TXV control but cycling the clutch is based on the evaporator temp sensor. The serpentine belt is driven by a one way clutch pulley and the OWC may be the reason you are seeing a slow turning compressor. If you have a late 2011 then the power steering is electric pump and that would make the power steering not be affected by slipping belt. Only the compressor and water pump are belt driven on those..
      2004 V70R GT 255K miles purchased 9/15/12. Had several R company cars in the past and had to have one of my own.
      OBX DP but I've only just begun.............
      2010 XC60 T6 RD
      Several farm trucks, tractors, trailers, and a Suzuki Carry Kei truck.

so...to the OP...if true, that solenoid is a common problem point...so take a chance and replace that.

"Tried that but the clutch barely moves or move very slowly". is why I'm suspicious of belt drive. The one way clutches fail on the alternators a lot and on the belt drive not as much but it happens. Nothing about the displacement solenoid being bad makes the clutch go slow. If there is an electrical issue or a faulty clutch magnetic coil then the clutches burn up from slip prettty fast and with a lot of noise.
      2004 V70R GT 255K miles purchased 9/15/12. Had several R company cars in the past and had to have one of my own.
      OBX DP but I've only just begun.............
      2010 XC60 T6 RD
      Several farm trucks, tractors, trailers, and a Suzuki Carry Kei truck.

Verify proper refrigerant fill level before replacing parts. Low refrigerant on this vintage XC60 would have me looking at the TXV for leaks.
      2007 S40 T5

Had the charge checked and it's good, seems to be a compressor clutch issue. I'll replace it.

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements