Touch up paint color code for front lip spoiler
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Touch up paint color code for front lip spoiler

Just got the 2018 T6 Momentum CPO 3 weeks ago. Took the car to NYC last Sat and some mofo must have backed into the car getting out of the parking spot. The silver paint on the sharpest point on the lower lip spoiler is chipped.

Can't seem to find the color code for it. Can anyone tell me if there is a touch up paint color code for this one?

https://ibb.co/NFTrdNW

Thanks in advance.
      Last edited by nayab; 08-10-2020 at 12:45 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/paint-code.htm

I used this company a few weeks ago to purchase touch up paint for my 2020 XC 40 in bursting blue. It matches very closely. For some reason Volvo does not offer an OEM bursting blue.

I would try Volvo first, but if they don’t have your color, I was very happy with the service from this site.

Nora in Florida
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nora in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by OlRedHair View Post
      https://www.automotivetouchup.com/paint-code.htm

I used this company a few weeks ago to purchase touch up paint for my 2020 XC 40 in bursting blue. It matches very closely. For some reason Volvo does not offer an OEM bursting blue.

I would try Volvo first, but if they don’t have your color, I was very happy with the service from this site.

Nora in Florida
      Thanks for your reply.

I already know the body paint color but I am looking for the paint color code for the silver trim in the front lip.

Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I used this site to find the code for my car. I put in the make model year and the name bursting blue, and it came back with 720. I did the same for my 850 R and got paint for my 1996 vehicle as well.

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by OlRedHair View Post
      I used this site to find the code for my car. I put in the make model year and the name bursting blue, and it came back with 720. I did the same for my 850 R and got paint for my 1996 vehicle as well.

Nora in Florida
      Sorry. I don't think I made myself clear. my car's color is Onyx Black Metallic and the color code is 717. However, if you take a look at the image i attached, there is a lip spoiler trim on the lower portion of the bumper which is silver. I need the paint color for that silver.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nayab View Post
      Sorry. I don't think I made myself clear. my car's color is Onyx Black Metallic and the color code is 717. However, if you take a look at the image i attached, there is a lip spoiler trim on the lower portion of the bumper which is silver. I need the paint color for that silver.

Thanks
      Got it. I missed that part about the silver color. I don’t know how to find out the code for that. I would call the Volvo dealership first and see if they have the code. If not you could go to Paint & Body shop and they could try to match it. Another idea is to email that site directly. They state in their about information that they have everything, and to contact them if you don’t see what you need. You could explain the whole situation and see if they have that particular make and model of car trim on file.

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by nayab View Post
      Thanks for your reply.

I already know the body paint color but I am looking for the paint color code for the silver trim in the front lip.

Thanks
      I should find out tomorrow and post it here.

It would be a good customer service step if Volvo posts the color code for touch up purposes. Certain trims come with two-tone colors - one for the car body and one for the front and rear lower valance.

Back stories. I had touched up my front spoiler professionally fixed and painted while I primarily had my rear lower valance replaced. No painting was required as it was cheaper to buy the replacement Grey painted valance than to touch up and re-paint my original lower valance.

Prior to delivery to me, the left tip of my lower spoiler was slightly marred and pitted - likely because it was parked to close to a concrete bumper / curbing. It always bugged me and I got it fixed 4.5 years later.

Rear valance incident: A “dufus” moment on my part. My car was parked. I slightly rolled my trailer tongue up to the car’s hitch. I did not notice that trailer wheel was about to drop down from the lip of the storage shed concrete floor. The trailer was loaded and I was not able to stop the
      momentum of the trailer before it tagged my lower valance.

I asked the dealer for the touch-up paint (electric silver). After touching it up, it was clearly the wrong paint. Thus, my amateur touch up made it more noticeable.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
      A fine MY16 XC90 T8
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 10 Sept. 2020 | 47K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

Sorry for the delay. Here is the response from my body shop:

“I talked with the paint tech and he actually had to make that color because
      there is not a code.

So he matched it as close as he could with our color map book and tinted it
      from that.”

It would be extremely helpful if Volvo would publish an official paint code for the lower valance (front and rear) when they do not match the body color.

Since a brand new (rear) valance cost less than removing, repairing, painting and reinstalling the old one, it seems like Volvo is encouraging replacement rather than repair. Providing the paint code would seem to be more climate-friendly, especially for some minor fill and touch-up.

I will give Volvo Customer Care a call and request that be done. Wouldn’t help if others would do the same (that have the two-tone).

All the best from Minnesota USA,
      A fine MY16 XC90 T8
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 10 Sept. 2020 | 47K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

I bought a 2017 XC90 CPO, my pointed parts of the bumper trim were scuffed the same way. The the dealer gave me and old bottle of touch-up that matched perfectly. They said it was from an older model year color. From the looks of things it is paint code 426, or Mystic Silver Metallic.

Thanks!!!!!!

Awaiting Approval

Replace or repaint the rear bumper valence.

The rear bumper and valence of our 2018 XC90 inscription was scuffed and one body shop said it needs to be replaced since they cant paint the silver. I think they told my wife it was vinyl overlay. I dont know if that's true. But on ebay there are tons of lower valences for sale all scuffed up. I am guessing those are from shops that that replaced them. The quote from this shop was about $1900 to replace bumper and paint the upper part of it. Seems high. Another body shop who we chose cause it was a "Volvo certified" shop on the volvo site said they can pain the whole original bumper and it would be about $1200. We are supposed to give the quotes to the person that hit us and shes paying cash. I dont want to make her pay crazy prices, but I also dont want to get a half ass job with just paint if its supposed to be replaced. What are all your thoughts???

Yes, silver is almost impossible to match and even if you end up getting a pre-painted bumper from Volvo, it will not match your body 100%.

If i were you, I would go for a new bumper since I will take anything factory finish over body shop finish.

I agree with Edfactor. I used the touch up paint of my S40 and they match well.
      Former: 1987 765 GLE, 1993 854 GLT, 2006 V70 R
      Current:
      2006 XC90 V8 Titanium Gray: Versatility, Touring, Climate, Convenience, RSE, Bi-Xenon, 19" Vulcanis [DIY hauler]
      2007 S40 T5 Silver Metallic: Premium, Sport, Climate, Convenience, 18" Medusa [Urban fighter]
      2017 XC90 T6 Inscription Onyx Black: Climate, Convenience, Vision, B&W, HUD, Air Suspension, Polestar, 21" Diamond Cut [HERS]
      2020 V90 T6 R-Design Onyx Black: Advanced, Luxury, Climate, Vision, B&W, HUD, Air Suspension, Polestar, 20” Five Double Spoke [HIS]

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements