SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

T5 Shim question

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  LittleRedRidingHood 
#1 ·
#3 ·
#4 ·
#5 ·
A bit off topic, but related to shims.

Are you guys shimming the block doing it because you are doing stage 2 or 3 tunes, or is it even worthwhile at stage 0 or 1?

I want to keep my car in the best of health and also like tackling new things, I have never taken the head off an engine before but would do it to prolong the life of my V50. I say this now, but I would only do a stage 1 tune at most... currently I am stock.

#6 ·
A bit off topic, but related to shims.

Are you guys shimming the block doing it because you are doing stage 2 or 3 tunes, or is it even worthwhile at stage 0 or 1?

I want to keep my car in the best of health and also like tackling new things, I have never taken the head off an engine before but would do it to prolong the life of my V50. I say this now, but I would only do a stage 1 tune at most... currently I am stock.
Also curious about this! I am stock as well, thinking about adding an upgraded intercooler, Radiator, and down pipe and calling it a day. Along with an air filter from swedesource.

#7 ·
I shimmed in anticipation of modifying the car - bolt-ons, cams, and larger turbo down the line. Still have that as an option but didn't go that route because the car cost a lot more to get on the road than anticipated.

Many in the Focus ST225 community (identical engine) report cylinder sleeve failures on stock engines/tunes however it seems much less common in the Volvo community even with tuned/modified engines. Anyone can imagine what the reasons may be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.