Letter of US Compliance from Volvo - Without spending $1,000?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Unhappy Please Delete - Letter of US Compliance from Volvo - Without spending $1,000?

This has been overtaken by events, thanks all for the input.

tldr: does anyone have a line on getting the letter of compliance from volvo without shelling out $1,000 USD?

So my years-long search for the unicorn finally ended early this year when Mark finally agreed to let go of his Laser Blue '00 V70R. Because he's in Victoria, BC and I'm in Washington, DC (and don't know how to drive in snow), he agreed to let me pick it up in June.

Y'all may have heard Canada's not super thrilled about travelers from the US right now for some reason, and the trip was just canceled for the second time. So we're now into the "screw it, let's just get it shipped" phase of this money sink. Except the broker/shipper requires a letter of compliance which as of late last year, volvo changed from free to $1,000.

"A compliance letter from the vehicle manufacturer stating that the vehicle was manufactured in compliance with the existing US Federal DOT and EPA requirements that were in effect at the date of manufacture of the vehicle. The letter should be on the manufacturer's letterhead and reference the vin# of the vehicle."
      It's originally a US market car, sold new in California. I've got the Carfax, I've got the EPA/DOT/NHTSA stickers on the hood/doorjambs, everything I would need to drive it across myself. Unsurprisingly, no one involved in the importing of cars really cares. Letter is non-negotiable. Having already spent a few hundred on PPI, minor fixes, a few nights of canceled hotel stays that were non-refundable, and looking at another $2,400 for shipping, I'm starting to crack. I fully expected this car to be a money pit, but not before I even had it in my possession!

Does anyone have a line on not paying volvo $1,000 to send me a letter saying "yep, car is compliant, it was originally sold here!" ?

I'm willing to name first born in honor.
      Thanks,
      -Allen
      Last edited by GoldieRT; 08-20-2020 at 02:18 PM.
      Elevated '12 C30 R-design, getting some TLC
      05 S60R - Sold
      On the lookout for clean '00 Laser Blue V70R - I'll pay bounty! - FOUND!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GoldieRT View Post
      tldr: does anyone have a line on getting the letter of compliance from volvo without shelling out $1,000 USD?

So my years-long search for the unicorn finally ended early this year when Mark finally agreed to let go of his Laser Blue '00 V70R. Because he's in Victoria, BC and I'm in Washington, DC (and don't know how to drive in snow), he agreed to let me pick it up in June.

Y'all may have heard Canada's not super thrilled about travelers from the US right now for some reason, and the trip was just canceled for the second time. So we're now into the "screw it, let's just get it shipped" phase of this money sink. Except the broker/shipper requires a letter of compliance which as of late last year, volvo changed from free to $1,000.

It's originally a US market car, sold new in California. I've got the Carfax, I've got the EPA/DOT/NHTSA stickers on the hood/doorjambs, everything I would need to drive it across myself. Unsurprisingly, no one involved in the importing of cars really cares. Letter is non-negotiable. Having already spent a few hundred on PPI, minor fixes, a few nights of canceled hotel stays that were non-refundable, and looking at another $2,400 for shipping, I'm starting to crack. I fully expected this car to be a money pit, but not before I even had it in my possession!

Does anyone have a line on not paying volvo $1,000 to send me a letter saying "yep, car is compliant, it was originally sold here!" ?

I'm willing to name first born in honor.
      Thanks,
      -Allen
      Just a thought. Could you meet up at the border, have him load the car on a ferry and pick it up on the other end? Not sure if that's possible but just a thought.

Have considered and discussed. That particular idea doesn't work because the Victoria -> Washington ferry is shut down indef. We've discussed what might happen if he can get it to the Vancouver border and I just stand on the Washington side and go "hey guys I just need to get that blue car over there, I'm not bringing Covid in!" but that's a huge leap of faith would require me to buy a 1-way plane ticket to the other side of the country and somehow get from there to a border crossing and just hope it works out (to say nothing of the wisdom of driving back cross-country during a pandemic. Wife and I had a legendary trip planned, but she is out until a vaccine is available...and I don't think seller will wait that long)

But I do appreciate the consideration!
      05 S60R - Sold

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

An ad for a couple driving to the US, Meet mark at the border, one drives their car across, the other your car?
      Or a college student? Got to be a few coming to school here maybe even drive it close to you.

Have considered and discussed. That particular idea doesn't work because the Victoria -> Washington ferry is shut down indef. We've discussed what might happen if he can get it to the Vancouver border and I just stand on the Washington side and go "hey guys I just need to get that blue car over there, I'm not bringing Covid in!" but that's a huge leap of faith would require me to buy a 1-way plane ticket to the other side of the country and somehow get from there to a border crossing and just hope it works out (to say nothing of the wisdom of driving back cross-country during a pandemic. Wife and I had a legendary trip planned, but she is out until a vaccine is available...and I don't think seller will wait that long)

But I do appreciate the consideration!
      Alternate suggestion. Find a Trucking company that regularly traverses between the US and Canada. See if they'd be willing to haul car from Canada to "Your Location" in Washington right over border.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Alternate suggestion. Find a Trucking company that regularly traverses between the US and Canada. See if they'd be willing to haul car from Canada to "Your Location" in Washington right over border.
      That was the (most recent) plan, it's actually the reason the letter is required. The laws are basically your choice of "drive it across yourself and do a bit of paperwork" or "have someone else drive/haul it across and it's now a commercial transaction with more hoops to jump through"

The letter isn't actually required as long as the car has the appropriate EPA/DOT/NHTSA stickers (it does) and you attest to the fact, but the carrier we were trying to use requires it either way. Currently looking at an alternative. Just trying to keep in perspective that as far as 2020 problems go, this is not the end of the world.
      Last edited by GoldieRT; 08-20-2020 at 12:36 PM.
      05 S60R - Sold

That was the (most recent) plan, it's actually the reason the letter is required. The laws are basically your choice of "drive it across yourself and do a bit of paperwork" or "have someone else drive/haul it across and it's now a commercial transaction with more hoops to jump through"

The letter isn't actually required as long as the car has the appropriate EPA/DOT/NHTSA stickers (it does) and you attest to the fact, but the carrier we were trying to use requires it either way. Currently looking at an alternative. Just trying to keep in perspective that as far as 2020 problems go, this is not the end of the world.
      Well here's a solution that seems no one has suggested.

See if you can find a Dual National (Canadian / American). Pay him / her to drive it across the border. As He / She would have both passports, Canada and America wouldn't deny entry.

I'm not entirely sure he can't drive over the border and deliver the car to a transport service in Blaine. He should be able to set something up to simply cross the border, maybe with a second car and driver, with the declared purpose to transport the vehicle and return same day. The US embassy website explicitly says trade is not being impeded. The question is how much hassle is the seller willing to endure?
      2009 Hilton Stage 2 (280hp/340ftlbs) C70 M66 Passion Red/Graphite/Aluminum - Quaife LSD installed!
      2011 XC60 3.2L Barents Blue/Anthracite/Aluminum - rings/pistons at 35k, new engine at 50k, seems no oil loss yet at 100k.

I think we have a solution. It's not cheap but that's a great introduction to owning a 20yo V70R
      Awaiting contract acceptance from Shipper/Broker.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      05 S60R - Sold

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements