Parlay
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Parlay

Parlay

Possible V70r parlay in the works, feedback is welcome...

I got my feet wet with a cheap 2004 V70r Titanium Grey/Nordkap M66 8 months ago and have enjoyed my time with it to the point that I think I need to buy a better example. Still love the car and it has proven reliable but right now there's a local 2004 V70r Sapphire Black /Atacama M66 with 93k miles that looks to be in great condition that is calling my name.

Here's my current ride (affectionately called Silver Bullet 2);

Yes, I know it's not actually silver (close enough) but the following was my first car at 16 years old so it makes sense to me, The original Silver Bullet;

Here's the prospective V70r that I'm visiting tomorrow morning and I think I'm going to have a difficult time passing it up (no name yet but silver bullet 3 doesn't look like it'll work unless there's a wrap in it's future, maybe something Halloween related would be appropriate);

So I think you'll agree that the pictures look promising. I wasn't really looking to buy right away because the learning process on my current V70r has been enjoyable but sometimes you have to act when the opportunity presents itself. This example is significantly more expensive than mine, 10k vs 4k, but not in bringatrailer territory. It's not a 2005+ and a sought after color combo but the reason I'm considering it is because I see myself in a V70r long-term but the current one I have may not be the right one for that. I've learnt quickly that the costs associated with fixing up a beater can add up quickly and will never really compare to a nice example in the end.

Additional vehicle history;
      The gentleman that is selling is the second owner, purchased in 2007 and Carfax shows 76k miles in 2009 and 93k miles today so he averaged 1500 miles per year for the last 11 years somehow.
      When I asked him if that's correct I could hear him tell his wife those numbers and I could hear his wife say "Honey, I've been telling you for years that you hardly drive that damn thing!" He just came back laughing saying "ya that's right, I used the car to go into Montreal but I hate going into the city. for longer than I thought apparently". Had a laugh at that. Still trying to get more info on service history but it seems that it was well maintained with lots of Volvo Dealer maintenance on the Carfax. Car was kept in an unheated garage while under his ownership and apparently "all fluids" were flushed a couple years ago but can't provide all documentation. Have to be honest though, I have a good feeling about the seller and he is mature (has been retired for some time now).

Anyways, love to hear thoughts/comments but right now I think it's worth the 150 mile drive to find out more...
      Last edited by rnkelly; 08-18-2020 at 07:21 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wow thats a great price for that mileage! She looks very clean.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Usually Quebec cars are rough, and montreal cars are usually a disaster. Im in Toronto and theres so many s60Rs and v70Rs that get posted to our local kijiji and FB marketplace. Ive gone to look at 2 one in Gatineau and one in Montreal. Both were a disaster, interior wise and underbody wise. And dont get me started with all the little things that were wrong with it. Montreal roads destroy bushings and struts like no tomorrow, especially if you drive Downtown.

This one looks promising and very clean. most likely was garaged the last 11 years while buddy owned it. Good luck tomorrow. If you dont end up grabbing it PM me. I may want to roll around in it for a few years. We can negotiate a buy back option for you .

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Ya, cars out here have it rough for sure.

Spoke with the seller again, some concerns unfortunately;
      1. original timing belt (He was unaware that there was a time interval for this service, makes me question the mechanics that worked on the car)
      2. 4c stuck in sport (says during winter it still changes to the other modes though)
      3. DSTC service required message

I shouldn’t have delayed getting a vida laptop, that would have been useful for this.

Quote Originally Posted by rnkelly View Post
      Ya, cars out here have it rough for sure.

Spoke with the seller again, some concerns unfortunately;
      1. original timing belt (He was unaware that there was a time interval for this service, makes me question the mechanics that worked on the car)
      2. 4c stuck in sport (says during winter it still changes to the other modes though)
      3. DSTC service required message

I shouldn’t have delayed getting a vida laptop, that would have been useful for this.
      1. Not a big deal, as long as theres no cracks and it hasnt been abused. Sounds like his thing was a real grocery getting so I wouldnt be too worried. Just change it asap.
      2.You definitely have a strut or sensor that is bad. When my strut went bad I could still change between modes but you wont feel the difference. If you push the button enough times in the right conditions you can make the 4c light switch to whatever mode. Whether or not its actually in that mode is another story. You can switch modes while the key is in pos 2 and then turn on the car in that mode (lets say advanced) when the car turns on it will be in advanced mode but it wont actually be in advanced mode. Just the button will be illuminated.
      3. Could be due to the 4c error. It could be a bad accelerometor, wheel speed sensor or Steering Angle sensor. But it could be a whole other issue.

Im sure someone in a local FB group has a VIDA they would lent you. Just dont mention the fact that your going to go see a mint condition v70R LOL.
      You can use any newer laptop. Just use a virtual machine. You install a software that emulates a separate laptop. If you look online there are some free images of win 10 with Vida already configured.

Looks great. Hope it all works out!

If I could parlay my S60 T5 M66 into a V70R M66 for a few grand, I would do it in a heartbeat.
      2005 S60 T5 M66 (1 of 72). 4C (for now), Sport Kit, Snabb Short Shifter+Bushings, IPD Track Sways F+R, Bi-Xenon Retrofitted R Headlights - custom fuse box/wiring harness, IPD DP + Oval Tube Exhaust, Forge CBV, Snabb intake pipe, R Brembos F+R, FC04A 17x8+35. coming soon: KW V2, Delrin Subframe Bushings, Do88 Intercooler, Stage 2 Tune. HU-650+Bluetooth Grom+PA300+2xFocal ISS165+ACM-1.300+2x6.5" Dayton Rear Door Subwoofers.
      2005 G55k Family hauler
      2007 Formula SAE Racecar - Custom Tube Frame Chassis, Fox Shocks, Pullrod Suspension, , Wilwood Calipers, Hoosier Slicks, Magnesium 2pc wheels... (full auto-x resto)
      NA1 Supercharged NSX someday.

I got it even though the warning messages make me nervous. Just driving home now. Had to do lots of running around but the couple selling the car helped out lots. They’re in their seventies and insisted I eat lunch there, best sandwich I’ve ever eaten (veggies from their garden etc) lol. He and she both have a car racing background. This is what I saw when I rolled in, I hope I’m as cool as them when I’m that age. The vw R is hers and he has a new bmw wagon delivered a few days ago behind it (vanilla 3 series but at least it’s a wagon)

And she meets her sister;

Strangely this nice example has made me appreciate my original V70r even more although it's not in as good condition. It'll be tough to let it go after the time I put into it.

Well, it took some doing but the parlay is finally complete.

Selling a rough around the edges V70R was entertaining to say the least. The amount of flakes I had to correspond with was astounding. The way some people communicate with others these days really is disheartening. "How is the Pull??" was my favourite, that was the whole first message. After some back and forth he declined to come see the car because he was convinced that "the engine pull isn't going to be enough". Some very gentlemanly though too. It took longer than I expected to sell but was happy to reduce the fleet to two cars since we only have that many parking spots.

The new addition had some good and bad news. First, the active chassis service required was just a sheared 4C wire so I just spliced the wires together and put some heat shrink wrap on it and routed it better so it won't happen again. Then I brought it in to the local Volvo dealer so that they could check it out. The timing belt was due so I had them do that, they also replaced the serpentine belt and had to replace the blue cover because it somehow got warped and was making a noise. The anti skid service required ended up being the DEM for which they quoted me $3K to repair. So I called an independent that immediately recommended Xemodex so it gave me the warm and fuzzy that he knew what he was doing. My previous V70r never had any problems that I couldn't do myself but this car I'm going to baby a bit so I'll be depending on a pro more. I brought it to the independent and I was impressed by his knowledge and passion for older volvos. He had a few very nice condition P2s at the garage with his own being over 500k kms. He had a bucket of DEMs so he started looking to see if he had one with matching part numbers. Unfortunately Xemodex couldn't repair my own DEM but they cloned it onto a new one which is a little more expensive. While we were at it he replaced the haldex pump, filter and fluid. The PEM didn't have the relocation done yet but the mechanic suggested that he take the PEM apart and apply "right stuff" gasket instead, he seemed confident with that and says he's been doing it for close to 20 years so couldn't argue with him.

I picked the car up today and it drives so nice. All in all, decent parlay. Sold the old car for a little more than I expected and the repairs/maintenance was a little more than expected so it all evened out.

Even though I'm really happy with the current condition of the car I'm already looking at a projector light mod or ABLs, wheel refinishing, roof drip mouldings fix and a way to preserve the condition of the Atacama.

Not sure why I like the word Parlay so much, apologies.

It looks like I just purchased nearly the identical car! My kids also immediately named it the "Halloween car". Congrats!
      Last edited by ChuckB02; 09-12-2020 at 09:14 AM.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements