Best way to replace radiator?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Best way to replace radiator?

In my recent quest for achieving cooler transmission operation, I recently acquired an XC90 trans cooler, a couple spare cooling line hoses should I need them, and I bought a brand new Nissens radiator from on FCP. I bought the radiator as I'm fairly certain that mine may be passing fluids back and forth, and if I completely eliminate the stock trans "cooler" (which isn't actually a cooler, but an aid in warming up the trans quicker) I fear that it'll begin to leak without being properly sealed up. Plus it's not a bad time for some preventative maintenance putting in a new one and maybe lowering operating temps overall. My question is what's the best way to do this job and remove as little as possible? I namely don't want to nor have the equipment to properly remove the A/C condenser. I know that the job requires dropping the radiator from the bottom, but I've heard you can actually leave both the condenser AND intercooler in place... If that's the case, I'm all for that though I'll bet having the stock I/C removed as well would be helpful. What says those that have replaced their radiator before? There's almost nothing on the YouTube, and I only found a couple threads though Google from I think Volvo Forums which is where I read that you can actually remove only the radiator leaving the other 2 items in place... I also have fresh Volvo coolant and a case (12qts) of Mobil 3309 on hand as well. I plan to run 16oz of Hot Shot TSE/Trans Stiction Eliminator mixed in with the 3309 fluid which should clean things up hopefully. As before I plan to capture a sample of the current fluid to send off to Blackstone like I did at the last Gibbons method fluid change that I did on my trans.
      Last edited by Phixion; 08-21-2020 at 12:23 AM.
      2004 S60 2.5T - Stock for now...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I used the recommended technique, jacking the front of the car up enough to remove the radiator from the bottom, and did indeed leave everything else in place. Make sure you have your replacement zip ties too, for some of the wires in a sheath that run along the top of the radiator.

I never moved the condenser. My biggest problem was that I hadn't jacked the car up far enough to cleanly pull the radiator out, so get it up high on the stands!

One note - once I had everything apart, I realized that replacing the stock intercooler as a "while you're in there" step, as I'd seen someone mention, seemed like a smart move. Save a potential repeat of that disassembly job, and upgrade. I did not do that, but worth thinking about.
      ‘07 S60 2.5T

Quote Originally Posted by mylesph1 View Post
      I used the recommended technique, jacking the front of the car up enough to remove the radiator from the bottom, and did indeed leave everything else in place. Make sure you have your replacement zip ties too, for some of the wires in a sheath that run along the top of the radiator.

I never moved the condenser. My biggest problem was that I hadn't jacked the car up far enough to cleanly pull the radiator out, so get it up high on the stands!

One note - once I had everything apart, I realized that replacing the stock intercooler as a "while you're in there" step, as I'd seen someone mention, seemed like a smart move. Save a potential repeat of that disassembly job, and upgrade. I did not do that, but worth thinking about.
      Thank you for the advice Myles! Duly noted on the intercooler. I don't plan on replacing mine for "better" one (DO88 for example) any time in the near or semi near future, so I think I'm ok there. From everything I've heard or read, my ramps that I have that I use for oil changes may not lift the front of the car up high enough. I definitely have plenty of zipties, lol!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Hi Matt. give me a call today before 6 Eastern time. I wont be around on the weekend. Offshore fishing. I will go over it with you. It's not an easy job. You will need a helper.

I'll ring you up today Rick!
      So much for doing it myself, lol

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

Volvo techs pull it from the bottom.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 207K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 78k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design 73k+ miles Dad - '98 S70 T5 210k + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5 (Not as fun as my '01)
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

In your case, yes, you can indeed leave the intercooler and condenser in place. Here is a detailed guide from the do88 website:

https://www.do88.se/bilder/artiklar/pdf/WC-210-Aut.pdf

I just replaced the radiator and intercooler on my 2006 S60 while adding an XC90 trans cooler and magnefine filter, so I removed both, but if you use that guide you should be able to get away without doing that. My opinion - it might actually be easier to remove the intercooler/radiator sandwich together anyway, despite there being a few extra steps to remove the intercooler. It's one of those things where having a little extra space to maneuver everything, and already having the intercooler/radiator fastened together outside the car when they go in, will probably end up saving you time in the end.

Also, here's a handy video with some key points, like how to maneuver the radiator down and out, and then back up and in (I think it's driver's side has to go up past the ac lines first, then you can move it over and bring up the passenger side): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKfp...owtoAutomotive

Awesome! Thank you for the links and video as well as tips!

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements