SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Some Questions about BLP 990

15K views 41 replies 10 participants last post by  Jez 
#1 ·
Reference: https://www.bluepower.se/en/product/audio-video/car-stereo/custom-players/volvo/c30/volvo-c30s40v50c70-headunit-android-71.html

Hi, wondering if anyone ever used the BLP 990 before. They're not responding to any of my emails so I'm not sure where else to ask but here.

1. They seems to pump up the price with a ridiculous 90euros just for android auto support. Can't I just install this myself via the play store or is there more involved?
2. How does it handle long term use? Does the screen get screen burn or faded over time?
3. Bootup time since you started the car?
4. How is their reverse camera? I couldn't find any videos with the BLP 990 hooked up to their reverse camera but it does seem like I can just hook up any other reverse camera.

I've been planning on doing this for months but I seem to be struggling to make a decision with such a large price. Is it worth it? I drive long distances and using my phone on a mount is horrible with a FM transmitter. There are plenty of videos out there on how to install this so I'm not bothered with the install process.

See less See more
#4 ·
Have one. Can't recommend it.
+1 On this!! I have a love hate relationship with mine. It constantly has issues where the screen won't turn on, and I have to turn the car off and back on to get it to come on. The only plus is the backup camera. The android auto requires a dongle and that has it's own plethora of issues.

The sound quality is good and it's awesome that it's all integrated, but the screen is just okay and by no means anything special.

#7 ·
Had the original, then was stupid enough to believe that the Android one would be better... it’s a shame, the idea is good but the execution is definitely lacking... you’re basically getting a cheap and nasty small Android tablet and a wiring harness... after sale technical and customer support is essentially non-existent

#9 ·
Had the original, then was stupid enough to believe that the Android one would be better... it's a shame, the idea is good but the execution is definitely lacking... you're basically getting a cheap and nasty small Android tablet and a wiring harness... after sale technical and customer support is essentially non-existent
Thanks for all the information. I'm ditching the idea of bluepower now. Cant understand why the price is so high for so much negative reviews.

#11 ·
I’m assuming your car doesn’t have an aux. If it has an aux or the factory USB, I’d leave it be. If it doesn’t, I’d definitely say get a GROM. Bluepower is massively overpriced for what it is. They know they’re the only real option for the every day garage warrior and they charge like it.

#12 ·
In the V50 groups on FB there is a guy who sells a ~£50 Bluetooth adapter that plugs in inside the cd player. It doesn't replace the cd player, but overrides it if is recieving bt input, so the cd player also still remains functional unlike with the Grom.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

#17 ·
I am going to order one from that dude with the CD mod and try it out.

We shall see how it goes.

#20 ·
I got my GROM MST4 today. Took the whole day to install since I wanted to do it perfectly and into the dashboard. I got a bluetooth module and aux + charging. It's all inside of the dash and the cables are long and nicely tucked behind the waterfall console. The sound is great and tomorrow I will give it a real test on the highway.

When I first tested it didn't want to work. It didn't want to change modes or do anything but just say Track 1. I resolved this by installing their latest firmware. They claim that it's up to date when shipped but I doubt it was since I had to do it to get it working

#22 ·
#24 ·
Oh well. Now you can get the latest firmware. If you scroll to the very bottom of the website where the footer is you'll see there's a firmware link. Click there and then chose your product.

#31 ·
In my ongoing quest to get better audio I picked a couple songs that I knew created the weird sound artifacts I'd been getting from the GROM, swapped the CD player back into the loop, and listened to those songs through the CD player instead...

No artifacts. So the GROM is introducing noise into the system it appears.

Avenger, you ever get that bluetooth dingy?

I found this swedish thread suggesting the ICM and IAM from a 2007 P1 may be able to add "native" aux to the car. I may give that a go and see if it works.

https://www.jagrullar.se/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=158248&hilit=Bluetooth

#32 ·
I bought that harness from Aliexpress. I can confirm my bluetooth did connect, but it never produced any audio on my P1, and it certainly doesn't enable AUX since that is a software update. After 2 months of advertising on here to give it to someone to test on a P2 to add to bluetooth and no one wanting to try, I put it away.

#39 ·
Haven’t bothered to revert to stock partly because I like having the reversing camera, but mainly because I’m too lazy to go through the process of taking half the car apart to uninstall/reinstall yet again.

#40 ·
Reference: Styling & Tuning online sedan 2006. Tryggt och säkert!

Hi, wondering if anyone ever used the BLP 990 before. They're not responding to any of my emails so I'm not sure where else to ask but here.

1. They seems to pump up the price with a ridiculous 90euros just for android auto support. Can't I just install this myself via the play store or is there more involved?
2. How does it handle long term use? Does the screen get screen burn or faded over time?
3. Bootup time since you started the car?
4. How is their reverse camera? I couldn't find any videos with the BLP 990 hooked up to their reverse camera but it does seem like I can just hook up any other reverse camera.

I've been planning on doing this for months but I seem to be struggling to make a decision with such a large price. Is it worth it? I drive long distances and using my phone on a mount is horrible with a FM transmitter. There are plenty of videos out there on how to install this so I'm not bothered with the install process.

Latest firmware update if anyone needs it.

Stuck with Aux Input overlay, if anyone has a solution please advise.

#42 ·
Jeremy Bragg

OK Software update added PC Monitor type icon than when selected removes overlay. A manual would be really useful, now onto - Reversing Camera image rolling, blank screen when selecting Sat Nav Icon, No DAB obvious DAB or Android Auto & Carplay "app" to use the purchased add ons

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.