Should I Buy This Rebuilt C30?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Should I Buy This Rebuilt C30?

Last week, I stumbled across this listing for a red 2013 R-Design at a price of $10K. It has a rebuilt title, however. The current owner claims that it was rebuilt at 22K miles due to the sunroof leaking all over the interior. Supposedly the interior was removed and cleaned and some electrical components were replaced. This incident happened to the original owner and this C30 has exchanged hands twice since then. Unfortunately, the current owner has no records of where the interior work was done or any info pertaining to the incident at all (he didn't find out that the car was rebuilt until after he already purchased it). I know that the C30 has suffered from sunroof drain issues, but is it really possible for a leaky sunroof to total a relatively new car? I've been unable to dig up any more info regarding the incident (through VIN search, ect.) Naturally, I'm suspicious, but I don't want to pass up a golden opportunity because I was too paranoid. I'll add the link to the listing with more info on the car. Any input on the wisest course of action would be great. Thanks, everyone!

VIN: YV1672MK2D2305355
      Link to the listing: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3206338015171/

Also, the owner said that the engine makes a slight "ticky noise" and claims that it's a relatively common problem for that engine that can be fixed by shimming the tappets. I have no clue how true that is, so any info on that would be great as well.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I would check the AC system, sunroof drain tubes and timing belt.

Never heard a ticky noise from my C30, nor have I seen widespread posting about the issue so I would investigate that more. Seems strange to me. Also the sunroof drains if leaking can leave about 4" of water in the floorboard of the car. This basically ruins the carpet and the whole interior needs to be removed and dried properly. My guess though is that the water also messed with some of the electronics also as just removing the interior should not have caused a rebuilt title on such a new car.

And price wise I think this is high for lacking documentation related to the rebuild. I'd say something in the range of 7k is fair. The seller will probably think this is low but they're selling a car with a rebuilt title and likely no maintenance documentation, so 7k is way more than any dealer would offer. This though assumes that the ticking noise is not an issue
      2005 S40 M66, stock
      2019 XC40 T4 FWD, Momentum with Premium and Vision Package - Hers
      2013 C30 Polestar #141/250, Mototech exhaust, Volvo Skid Plate, RacingBeat RSB, - Sold
      1997 Volvo 850 N/A with 240k, 1 owner, SOLD 2017
      2000 C70 Convertible 5sp HPT, SOLD 2011

Thank you, both. Considering the extent of the damage (and mostly the ticking noise) I'll probably pass this one up. Hopefully I'll have a chance to take it to a mechanic to thoroughly check the engine and interior and that will solidify my choice. Asking 7K seems fair, that's what I'll go for.

6. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements