XC60 T8 excessive battery degradation
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

XC60 T8 excessive battery degradation

Hi all T8 owners,

I have a 2018 XC60 T8 with about 18k miles. Last few months I've noticed my electric range dropped all the way down to 12mi in hybrid mode when the car is fully charged. When I bought the car I consistently get 18-19mi of range on a full charge in hybrid mode. Now in pure mode the range indicator shows 13mi while it used to be 20-21mi. Dealer claims the battery is working normally and that software update will fix this. However after the update it's still showing 12mi range. I've also noticed this in my daily commute that the range is noticeably worse than before. I couldn't find any information on what's considered normal degradation on Volvo's hybrid battery warranty in the US. Anyone has similar issues with their T8? Any suggestions?

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The first question I have is whether the actual range has changed or only what the range indicator shows? The range indicator is just a guess and the software can change how it guesses, but if the battery is actually degrading then the actual range will change. I'm working on a series of benchmarks for my car so I can know if the actual range is changing.
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription Ice White/blonde
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blonde (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Catfiend View Post
      The first question I have is whether the actual range has changed or only what the range indicator shows? The range indicator is just a guess and the software can change how it guesses, but if the battery is actually degrading then the actual range will change. I'm working on a series of benchmarks for my car so I can know if the actual range is changing.
      Yes the actual range has also decreased pretty significantly. My daily work commute is local driving and 17miles round trip. I used to be able to do the commute round trip without ever using the gas engine. Now the engine always kicks in very early in my return trip with 0 range left. Based on actual driving I'm seeing about 12miles of range as indicated in the instrument panel.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

thanks! It looks like I'm having similar issues as with this XC90 T8 owner. Hopefully there's a fix for this. Any XC60 owners out there with similar problem?

Yikes, the OP of that thread indicated it was in the shop over 3 weeks...

The dealer should open a case with tech help desk. They might have to reset the Battery state of charge after verifying it is good.

I'm curious, how many charge cycles do you think your battery gone through?
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription | Electric Silver | Charcoal Int. w/Metal Mesh Inlay | Convenience : Navigation : Vision | Llumar CTX 30 & Air 80 Tint | 20" Black Diamond Cut Alloys
      2007 XC90 3.2F A 5 | Ice White | Beige Int. w/Genuine Wood Inlay | VIS : CPS : EBD : EBA : DTSC : TPMS : HSS : ROPS : IC : RSC : SIPS : WHIPS : LATCH | 12 Beverage Holders
      2000 S70 SE | Metallic Silver

FWIW, my 2018 T8 has around 34,000 miles and still shows an indicated 16 Hybrid when started, 18 Pure. That's down 2 from when it was new, but the actual range has been at least that much.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

I had the exact same problem, when fully charged it showed only 22 km, barely made it with pure mode and slow speeds. Then came the errors "failure in hybrid system", once it went to turtlemode. There was also a problem when charging, it went to paused mode quite often. Took it to the shop and they analyzed it, problem was current differencies in few of the cells. They balanced it for the weekend and the problem was gone. Month later no problems whatsoever and it gives the full range (also in real life driving).

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo.Driver View Post
      I'm curious, how many charge cycles do you think your battery gone through?
      Probably 4-500 cycles. But it really depends on what's considered a full cycles. In general I have about 1-2mi left on the range indicator when I recharge it back to full. This is pretty much done daily for my work commute 5 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by t-man View Post
      I had the exact same problem, when fully charged it showed only 22 km, barely made it with pure mode and slow speeds. Then came the errors "failure in hybrid system", once it went to turtlemode. There was also a problem when charging, it went to paused mode quite often. Took it to the shop and they analyzed it, problem was current differencies in few of the cells. They balanced it for the weekend and the problem was gone. Month later no problems whatsoever and it gives the full range (also in real life driving).
      Sounds like we might have the same problem. Dealer said some of the cells are behaving abnormally, so they are doing a few more tests to see what they can do. Glad they were able to fix your car.. hopefully they can do the same to my car.

Quote Originally Posted by XC60T8RD View Post
      Sounds like we might have the same problem. Dealer said some of the cells are behaving abnormally, so they are doing a few more tests to see what they can do. Glad they were able to fix your car.. hopefully they can do the same to my car.
      They had a direct answer from Volvo headquarters, since it´s just across the pond if I remember correctly they emptied the battery by driving with pure and charged (or balanced) it over the weekend via 12 volt battery. Then checked the cells and then charged it normally. Not sure did this include anything else. I have the papers so I could check if it says anything else

Quote Originally Posted by t-man View Post
      They had a direct answer from Volvo headquarters, since it´s just across the pond if I remember correctly they emptied the battery by driving with pure and charged (or balanced) it over the weekend via 12 volt battery. Then checked the cells and then charged it normally. Not sure did this include anything else. I have the papers so I could check if it says anything else
      Got the car back. I believe that was exactly what the dealer did to my car. They said something about balancing the batteries. The range indicator is now showing 18mi in hybrid mode again at full charge, so there's hope that they fixed the issue. I charged it up from complete empty to full earlier and it only took in 7.9kwh total of electricty. In the past when I charge up from completely empty it usually gets between 8.6-8.8kwh. I'm not sure if there's degradation still or they changed the amount of electricity the battery can discharge. I'll try to calculate actual driving range this weekend to see how accurate the range indicator is.

I had the same battery capacity issues in my 2018 XC60 T8. Took it to my dealer, who did the following: “Check battery capacity. Found low or irregular electric distance shown in DIM. Performed total software upgrade and battery reset peer TJ.” I went home and charged it fully, but the range indicator on the dash still read 16. Hmmm. So, I drove it in electric-only mode until I almost ran out of juice and got about 21 miles! After I recharged, the stupid indicator still read 16. I don’t know if there’s a way to reset that, but I’m satisfied my main problem is fixed. Not sure if another trip to the dealer is worth it just for the indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by glenmick View Post
      I had the same battery capacity issues in my 2018 XC60 T8. Took it to my dealer, who did the following: “Check battery capacity. Found low or irregular electric distance shown in DIM. Performed total software upgrade and battery reset peer TJ.” I went home and charged it fully, but the range indicator on the dash still read 16. Hmmm. So, I drove it in electric-only mode until I almost ran out of juice and got about 21 miles! After I recharged, the stupid indicator still read 16. I don’t know if there’s a way to reset that, but I’m satisfied my main problem is fixed. Not sure if another trip to the dealer is worth it just for the indicator.
      My range is now showing 18mi in hybrid and 20mi in pure mode again after they did the battery re-balancing. Also these last few days of driving I'm seeing my actual electric driving range go back up to about what the indicated range is in the instrument panel. So far it looks like they fixed all the issues I've been having. The car behaves much like when my car was new.

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements