SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Ignition power problem

474 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  dalecarlian 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I’m new here!

I have my eye on a 2001 xc70 2.4T AWD as I am in need of a good car to drive every day year round..

now the seller has listed that the car has a power problem in the ignition saying “there is no power to the ignition otherwise there is power throughout the car” I so far have no further information as I’m waiting on the seller to contact me back.

Who can give me some pointers to the most common ignition power problems so I can buy the car cheap and don’t have to spend a ton on replacement parts..

Thanks!!

#2 ·
I have my eye on a 2001 xc70 2.4T AWD as I am in need of a good car to drive every day year round..
You should not consider buying a 01 xc70 that does not run. If you get it running you will find that it is going to cost you more than you ever imagined.

The car - has the throttle module, transmission, ac compressor, alternator, heater fan motor, brake booster, Drivers door module, axles, driveshaft, PCV, radiator, control arms, strut cushions, struts/shocks been replaced? Each of those items are hundreds or thousands of dollars to replace. That's not counting basic maintenance items, brakes, timing belt -

As far as "common ignition power problems" there are not any "common" ones - other than coils and they fail one at a time - if there were a simple solution the current owner would have fixed it -

OK - say it needs a ECU (engine control unit) once you figure out how to obtain the free stolen/hacked copy of VIDA (The factory diagnostic program) and get it to run on your CPU or laptop, purchase (~$80) a working clone DICE unit to interface with the car, and learn how to use the software - then you purchase the special tool to remove the ECU (or break a few things trying to get it out) and send it off to Xemodex to have it fixed. A few days later and $450 to $700 more out of your pocket - you have a working ECU. Then you find out the transmission is bad among other things - which is why the current owner did not fix it..

#3 ·
Hi guys, I'm new here!

now the seller has listed that the car has a power problem in the ignition saying "there is no power to the ignition otherwise there is power throughout the car" I so far have no further information as I'm waiting on the seller to contact me back.

Who can give me some pointers to the most common ignition power problems so I can buy the car cheap and don't have to spend a ton on replacement parts..

Thanks!!
There are two issues that I know of with the ignition. 1) the smaller wire that is directly connected to starter sometimes comes loose (it's on of those push-on/ crimp connector types whatever they are called). I'm pretty sure that if it has a bad connection that you won't get power to starter. Easy to check - I think I remember someone saying you can just reach in there and wiggle it around to see if it makes a difference. 2) the other is the ignition barrel - in this case you won't be able to turn key all the way so don't think that's your issue.

My guess in this case is that it's probably something pretty simple. Don't think it's electronics related. but...what do I know.

2001 does have known issues as per other post but if you are getting it for a steal (say less than $500) go for it. No start cars should go pretty cheap given the risk the buyer is taking on. Otherwise, skip. I've got an 02 and it has served me well. They are quite tough but they are now almost 20 years old so you do need to expect some diy'ing in your future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Hello,
I have the same car. There are many fundamental issues with it, but I have resolved most of them. How many miles on this one? Get a service record and check what has been done to it already—there are a list of issues that, if they have been serviced either under warranty or outright, will make it viable/save you some cash.

The first responder is correct: ETM, Transmission, and BCM are all major issues. It also has the B5244T3 2.4T engine which makes some parts more difficult to come by, but not too bad overall.

If you are new to working on cars/don’t have money to pay a shop and it has had none of this service performed, I would leave it alone. My mother fixed some of these issues at the dealership and indie shops before I bought the car from her: it got a lightly used 2003 transmission around 127,000mi, PCV was serviced around 150k along with timing belt. It currently sits at 168k and needs a new ETM. Xemodex will be your most expensive friend for this car, but good condition used parts are easy to find on ebay if you do the work yourself. I just bought a like-new xemodex etm from ebay and used vida on my car.

The car is not bad, but you have to be real with yourself if you’re just looking for something to daily in the snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.