Highest mileage S90 here?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Highest mileage S90 here?

Hi Everyone,

I am a proud new owner of a 2019 T5 S90 Momentum and my first impressions are wowww with this great car. I purchased this car with the intention to keep it for a long time. I am wondering if there are members who have high mileage S90s here and what your overall longterm ownership experience with your car is. I heard already about the annoying premature brake wear and hope mine will last more than the average reported 15k miles. Thank you in advance for your answers!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My mothers in law 2017 s90 momentum plus package 55k.
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

Hmm.

How long is a long time for you?

They added a bunch of complicated tech to these cars which wasn't in earlier Volvo's, which makes me concerned that they might be expensive to maintain when they get old.

I got the extra warranty on my S90 T6 to last me up to 100k miles. At that point I plan on selling it, because I don't want to have to deal with paying for the replacement of parts in the 4c suspension, air suspension, the supercharger and turbocharger in the engine, etc. etc. etc.

Generally, the more complicated you make something, the more likely it is to break, and the more expensive it is to fix when it does.

My secondary car is a 20 year old V70 wagon. It is simple by comparison. There are still a bunch of these on the roads. I somehow doubt that will be the case for the S90's 20 years from now

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      Hmm.

How long is a long time for you?

They added a bunch of complicated tech to these cars which wasn't in earlier Volvo's, which makes me concerned that they might be expensive to maintain when they get old.

I got the extra warranty on my S90 T6 to last me up to 100k miles. At that point I plan on selling it, because I don't want to have to deal with paying for the replacement of parts in the 4c suspension, air suspension, the supercharger and turbocharger in the engine, etc. etc. etc.

Generally, the more complicated you make something, the more likely it is to break, and the more expensive it is to fix when it does.

My secondary car is a 20 year old V70 wagon. It is simple by comparison. There are still a bunch of these on the roads. I somehow doubt that will be the case for the S90's 20 years from now
      I guess I would be happy when I can get to 100k miles without many major issues. My biggest concern is the brake wear issues. I heard about cases where the brakes were worn down after 7k miles. Any long term reports this regards would be highly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack2020 View Post
      I guess I would be happy when I can get to 100k miles without many major issues. My biggest concern is the brake wear issues. I heard about cases where the brakes were worn down after 7k miles. Any long term reports this regards would be highly appreciated.
      The combination of big heavy car, soft pads, auto parking brake and adaptive cruise/pilot assist results in this behavior.

You can minimize the wear by disabling the auto parking brake feature, and not using the adaptive cruise control or pilot assist. Otherwise the norm appears to be to have to replace them every ~15k miles or so.

I'm trying to get a thread going for other solutions here.

The combination of big heavy car, soft pads, auto parking brake and adaptive cruise/pilot assist results in this behavior.

You can minimize the wear by disabling the auto parking brake feature, and not using the adaptive cruise control or pilot assist. Otherwise the norm appears to be to have to replace them every ~15k miles or so.

I saw you thread and appreciate the points you mention there. I deactivated the the auto brake function but really want to use the auto pilot, that is one of the reasons I bought the car. My recent 400 mile trip was such a pleasure because of the auto pilot. I am hoping that moving forward Vovlo would find a material solution so that we dont have to pay every 10-15k miles several hundred dollars for something they have miscalculated. BTW, I heard from many other S90 owners that Volvo covered this premature wear under warranty. Still curious to hear from long term owners about overall reliability of the car. Based on one of the reports I read, S90 is one of the least reliable cars in the US!
      Last edited by Jack2020; 08-30-2020 at 07:33 PM.

I saw you thread and appreciate the points you mention there. I deactivated the the auto brake function but really want to use the auto pilot, that is one of the reasons I bought the car. My recent 400 mile trip was such a pleasure because of the auto pilot. I am hoping that moving forward Vovlo would find a material solution so that we dont have to pay every 10-15k miles several hundred dollars for something they have miscalculated. BTW, I heard from many other S90 owners that Volvo covered this premature wear under warranty. Still curious to hear from long term owners about overall reliability of the car. Based on one of the reports I read, S90 is one of the least reliable cars in the US!
      I think Volvo will cover it as a one time courtesy, but I wouldn't expect repeated replacements under warranty. At least that is my understanding.

In other threads posters have suggested Akebono ceramic pads. Anyone here have experience with them?

Does it matter if you have a AWD or FWD? I imagine that the AWDs will have much faster wear than the FWD. Also, is there a brake pad sensor which shows that you have to replace the brakes?

I think Volvo will cover it as a one time courtesy, but I wouldn't expect repeated replacements under warranty. At least that is my understanding.

I just had my 2 year service completed at 14k, and they did cover the rotors/pads when I mentioned the warping. They didnít give me any flak. Itís been the best dealer and ownership experience Iíve had over the last 25 years, including Mercedes...

My '18 S90 T6 Inscription has about 49k on the clock. Supposedly the brakes were replaced (rotors/pads) when I purchased at 38k miles (December 2019). I don't use the auto brake (feels weird and I don't like the disengagement time required when I want to resume), but habitually use the Adaptive Cruise Control with intermittent use of Pilot Assist. I'll probably have the brakes checked during next tire rotation, but they were checked about a month ago when there was about 48k on the clock and no issues/significant wear was reported, so I'm happy with that. 15k miles seems a bit short for brake life, but I have no idea until I get to the point of wear. Guess I'll have to deal with it when I have to deal with it, but I'll most likely do the brake job myself.

Does it matter if you have a AWD or FWD? I imagine that the AWDs will have much faster wear than the FWD. Also, is there a brake pad sensor which shows that you have to replace the brakes?
      Why would you think AWD would be worse?

I mean, maybe a little bit because AWD cars weigh more, but other than that I wouldn't expect a significant difference.

From what I have seen the only significant difference between models with this issue is that T8 cars seem to do better, despite their greater weight. Presumably the regenerative breaking offloads the traditional brakes a bit.

I cant believe that we are already more than 4 years into the production cycle of the modern XC90/S90s (and others with the brake issues) and Volvo still hasn't manage to solve this issue. One might think this is a material issue but I think the problem is much deeper, otherwise they would have solved it long time ago. I think the reason we dont hear much about it is that most of the Volvos are leased this days and many people drive only 4-5k miles per year with their cars. Once the 3 year lease is over, they dont have to deal with the brakes anymore. For me is different: I purchased the car and intend to keep it as long as possible. I really hope Volvo will come with a proper solution soon. BTW, my car is already at the dealership with just over 1k miles. During my 800 mile brake in trip, I noticed that the brakes are vibrating significantly, so lets wait and see what they say.

Im at 62k Miles after 2,5 years of ownership from new on my V90. It has barely moved in the last 6 months due to COVID related travel restrictions from my employer... Normally I would do around 30k miles in a year.

Had rear pads replaced once so far and am just shy of needing new pads front and rear, possibly might also need rotors at the rear. Can’t really complain about excessive wear but I do have the weird vibrations that can’t seem to be solved.

That being said, I do 90% of my driving on the Autobahn at reasonable speeds and completely avoid using Pilot Assist as it doesn’t work above 138 Kph anyway.

My leather dash has started peeling away a few weeks ago and am trying to get volvo to cover it out of warranty because it’s just unacceptable for a 90k€ car to start falling apart after 2,5 years... will be interesting to see how they react.
      Last edited by obermuh; 09-01-2020 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by obermuh View Post
      Im at 62k Miles after 2,5 years of ownership from new on my V90. It has barely moved in the last 6 months due to COVID related travel restrictions from my employer... Normally I would do around 30k miles in a year.

Had rear pads replaced once so far and am just shy of needing new pads front and rear, possibly might also need rotors at the rear. Canít really complain about excessive wear but I do have the weird vibrations that canít seem to be solved.

That being said, I do 90% of my driving on the Autobahn at reasonable speeds and completely avoid using Pilot Assist as it doesnít work above 138 Kph anyway.

My leather dash has started peeling away a few weeks ago and am trying to get volvo to cover it out of warranty because itís just unacceptable for a 90kÄ car to start falling apart after 2,5 years... will be interesting to see how they react.

I am german too but live in California now. I used to drive also my 40-60k Kilometers per year and miss our autobahns like crazy!! Is yours a Diesel? Did you experience any other issues so far?

Schoene Gruesse in die Heimat!

Except for some minor stuff like a rattle from the sunroof and the powerpulse pipe coming loose (a known D5 issue that doesn’t have a permanent fix to date), it’s been quite reliable so far.

Very much unlike my new gen XC90 from late 2015 (one of the first ones), that thing was a huge POS and barely spent a month on the road without needing a visit to the dealer. Got rid of it in early 2018 because I just couldn’t live with it anymore.

GrŁŖe zurŁck 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by obermuh View Post

Had rear pads replaced once so far and am just shy of needing new pads front and rear, possibly might also need rotors at the rear. Canít really complain about excessive wear but I do have the weird vibrations that canít seem to be solved.

That being said, I do 90% of my driving on the Autobahn at reasonable speeds and completely avoid using Pilot Assist as it doesnít work above 138 Kph anyway.

My leather dash has started peeling away a few weeks ago and am trying to get volvo to cover it out of warranty because itís just unacceptable for a 90kÄ car to start falling apart after 2,5 years... will be interesting to see how they react.
      Regarding the vibrations (assuming it's AWD), there was a thread somewhere on this forum about an owner trying to track the cause down. Turns out his particular issue was the prop shaft looked to be out of balance, but some type of bearing it runs through that has a rubber gasket around it failed, which caused the prop shaft to become imbalanced was the cause. He actually rigged his cellphone to the undercarriage to record the movements of the prop shaft and half-shafts while he drove it around his neighborhood. It's a pretty cool video, actually. But, after showing the video to his particular dealership they fixed it under warranty. I'll have to try to find the video.

He (I assume he), have a 5 part series so far. This is the video where the cause of vibration is discovered:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ef7C5_MhRI&t=10s

I and my dealer have seen those and gone through the mentioned parts, didn’t help with my car... unfortunately.

Just an update on my delaminating leather dash: Volvo is covering 90% of the out of warranty claim. Still getting stuck with 362€ out of pocket but I guess it could have easily been worse.

I cant believe that we are already more than 4 years into the production cycle of the modern XC90/S90s (and others with the brake issues) and Volvo still hasn't manage to solve this issue. One might think this is a material issue but I think the problem is much deeper, otherwise they would have solved it long time ago. I think the reason we dont hear much about it is that most of the Volvos are leased this days and many people drive only 4-5k miles per year with their cars. Once the 3 year lease is over, they dont have to deal with the brakes anymore. For me is different: I purchased the car and intend to keep it as long as possible. I really hope Volvo will come with a proper solution soon. BTW, my car is already at the dealership with just over 1k miles. During my 800 mile brake in trip, I noticed that the brakes are vibrating significantly, so lets wait and see what they say.
      An update on my brake vibration: My dealership just called me and told me the vibration was from the front rotors and they put a pair of new rotors on and that solved the issue! Car has just little over 1000 miles on it, so we see that these are no rumors with s90s and the brakes!!! I think all of 90s have this problem but only few people really go after it.

There is couple for sale ads: One V90 D3 288 000 miles... other V90 D3 AWD 244 000 miles.. Those are propably old taxi's.

Not sure what Volvo picked for the stock brake pads, but they leave massive amount of deposits on the rotor. Mine were causing tiny bit of vibration as well, dealer changed it during the 10k service. A friend with an xc40 suffered from the same problem at 20K.

Rather wasteful to be frank, that we have to throw away perfectly good set of rotors because of the crappy brake pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 Single Turbo / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline
      07 BMW R1200S: Akrapovic / Ohlins / Quickshifter
      19 Volvo V90 T6: R-Design / Bowers & Wilkins / Polestar Optimization

Quote Originally Posted by D5GT View Post
      There is couple for sale ads: One V90 D3 288 000 miles... other V90 D3 AWD 244 000 miles.. Those are propably old taxi's.
      It seem that the Sweden built V90s don't have the same brake issues as the China built S90. I was reading in a German forum about a 100k kilometer/2 year report of a V90 owner and he was saying that the car still had the original brakes. I think I saw also here in forum someone with a V90 and no brake issues. It seem to be a Sweden built vs China built issue?

Mine came out of Sweden and now at 7k I can not even use the brakes. This is how bad the car vibrates. So no China issue here.

My V90 had rear rotors replaced after a few thousand miles due to warpage.
      Hers: 2019 S60 T5 R-Design FWD | Pebble Gray / Charcoal, Napa Leather | 18Ē R-Design Wheels | Heated Seats and Steering Wheel | Rubber Floor Mats

His: 2018 V90 T5 R-Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R-Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

Volvo has some real crappy brake pads on some of these cars, which leaves massive amount of brake deposits on the rotor. Mine looks like I did a track day with them at 10k before the dealer replace the front rotors. I will probably swap them out with aftermarket ones next time the issue show up.

I am sure it has to do with the batches that came from their suppliers. Nothing to do with the rest of the car or where the car is built.

09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 Single Turbo / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline
      07 BMW R1200S: Akrapovic / Ohlins / Quickshifter
      19 Volvo V90 T6: R-Design / Bowers & Wilkins / Polestar Optimization

I just got my car back from the dealership. Apparently they had to replace the rear rotors as well. They just replaced the rotors, not the pads, to address the vibration issue. I asked how much meat was left on the pads and the guy told me 7mm and therefore they have not replaced the pads!! I was super pissed that they kept the old pads on. They made all the efforts and replaced all 4 rotors and kept those crappy pads??? The car had little over 1000 miles and 40% of the pads are gone and on top of that they ruined the rotors. Guess how many miles more will this pads last?!?! I knew what I was getting into with the brakes as I bought the car, it is just super annoying that those people don't think long term and just do something to get a temporary solution. I guess latest in 4 or 5k miles all pads will be gone and I have to go back and fight with them to replace the brakes under warranty. I will call Volvo USA and see what they have to say about these "smart" strategies of their dealerships.

7mm left on pads is a descent amount, not anything urgent to replace. You should easily get 5k miles, even 7-8k miles if you don't brake aggressively all the time. When the dealer told me to start thinking of replacing the pads before my next service the pads had 6mm, I replaced the pads myself (one of the easiest cars to do it in) about 4k miles later and they still had just shy of 3mm left (from what I can recall). Dealer had also told me I needed to replace the rotors as that is their standard procedure...I measured the rotor and it has "suffered" a 0.5mm wear in 28k miles...not worth replacing in my experience as it was well within tolerances.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

Quote Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
      7mm left on pads is a descent amount, not anything urgent to replace. You should easily get 5k miles, even 7-8k miles if you don't brake aggressively all the time. When the dealer told me to start thinking of replacing the pads before my next service the pads had 6mm, I replaced the pads myself (one of the easiest cars to do it in) about 4k miles later and they still had just shy of 3mm left (from what I can recall). Dealer had also told me I needed to replace the rotors as that is their standard procedure...I measured the rotor and it has "suffered" a 0.5mm wear in 28k miles...not worth replacing in my experience as it was well within tolerances.

If this had been a normal car, I would have agreed with you, 7mm is a lot of brake pad. But this car already ate up 5mm within the first 1000 miles. One might debate if the new rotors would slow down the accelerated wear but I think the pads are the issues and those pads have cause the warped brakes. Alone the fact that we are debating if 7mm last 5 or 7k miles shows how bad those brakes are. It is encouraging to hear that the brake job is easy with these cars. I am not concerned about the front brakes, more about the rear brakes with the electronic brake but I guess once I do one time than I will see how easy it is (based on all the Videos and reports I see). I used to do the brakes of my Porsche and don't think this is much more difficult. As long I have warranty, I will push them to do the brakes under warranty, when out of warranty, I will start do it myself and will look for proper aftermarket solution.

Volvo OEM pads failed miserably on SPA models. Their performance is very questionable and they are very noisy.

I wish Volvo change it to ceramic and save the owners the frustration.

I changed to aftermarket ceramic and I'm happy.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

...But this car already ate up 5mm within the first 1000 miles.
      Is your 1,000 number correct??? That seems to be almost impossible to do
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

Maybe this has already been covered and I just missed it but why would the AUTO PARKING BRAKE encourage premature wear on pads/rotor? After all the car is at a complete stop(?) before the parking brake comes on?

Quote Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
      Is your 1,000 number correct??? That seems to be almost impossible to do
      Yes 1k miles or 999 miles. One thing I have to add: This was a demo car with 200 miles on. As I was test driving the car, there was a big sign not to drive too fast since they had some kind of coating on the discs to prevent rusting?! It was also written that driving fast and braking would damage the brakes because of the coating. I brought that up with the service advisor and he told me they would not put anything on the rotors/discs. Anyway, this might be one explanation
      Last edited by Jack2020; 09-13-2020 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lensguy View Post
      Maybe this has already been covered and I just missed it but why would the AUTO PARKING BRAKE encourage premature wear on pads/rotor? After all the car is at a complete stop(?) before the parking brake comes on?
      I think it does, but I can't say to what extent.

When you use the auto parking brake, every time you stop and go, there is a brief period where the rear brakes are being warn during takeoff, before they open up again. Repeat this a few thousand times, and I'm sure there is some measurable wear. Not sure to what extent though.

Yes 1k miles or 999 miles. One thing I have to add: This was a demo car with 200 miles on. As I was test driving the car, there was a big sign not to drive too fast since they had some kind of coating on the discs to prevent rusting?! It was also written that driving fast and braking would damage the brakes because of the coating. I brought that up with the service advisor and he told me they would not put anything on the rotors/discs. Anyway, this might be one explanation
      Wow, I do feel you're the only one in this forum reporting that rear brakes worn 5mm in 999 miles! From everyone else's experience, rear pads do wear much faster than front ones when using autopilot a lot, but nothing at the pace you experienced. That is unacceptable and you should insist with Volvo dealer if this keeps happening.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast