Import of POI
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 14 of 14

    Thread: Import of POI

    1. #1
      Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      1,321

      Import of POI

      Is there an option to import files from the POI for Sensus navigation, such as radars, speed cameras .....
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      1,321
      I found the answer myself, it has been impossible on the Sensus system since 2016

      Volvo Sensus Navigation with 9 inch touch screen is not supported, e.g.:
      Volvo XC40 from MY2018
      Volvo XC60 from MY2018
      Volvo XC90 from MY2016
      Volvo S60 from MY2019
      Volvo S90 from MY2017
      Volvo V60 from MY2019
      Volvo V90 from MY2017
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    4. #3
      Junior Member savolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Location
      Athens Greece
      Posts
      178
      You can add favourites. Either by Google search or directly on the map.
      2018 XC60 R Design T5 - Ice White with PA2, BLISS, 360 Camera, Navigation Pro, Panorama, Active LED Lights, Fog Lights, 4 Zone Climate, Keyless Entry, VoC, 19'' Wheels

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      1,321
      That’s great but when you know where they exist
      Let me ask you, do you know where they have radars, speed cameras on the roads in Austria and Italy.
      There are more than 8000 of them, but where are they located. I would like to know how to insert more than 8000 POIs into Sensus navigation

      FYI : More than 40.000 speed cameras and radars in 36 European countries


      This exists for older Volvo models but not for Sensus:
      https://www.volvocars.com/en/support...t-of-poi-files
      Last edited by BigBang; 09-02-2020 at 08:28 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    7. #5
      Junior Member stocis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      Cyprus
      Posts
      552
      Doesn't SENSUS already have those POI's included in the map which you choose to install?
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo S60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

    8. #6
      Junior Member savolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Location
      Athens Greece
      Posts
      178
      In Greece where I live, the display shows all the cameras on the fixed speeding motorways. It doesn't show mobile ones but no system would ever show. Yet, even in this case you can connect the vehicle with Android Auto and Google maps or Waze will show you the speeding cameras, accidents etc on the sensus display.

      In my humble opinion the car has so many capabilities in connecting your phone and entertainment to the vehicle that you can always have an alternative. Never failed me so far.
      2018 XC60 R Design T5 - Ice White with PA2, BLISS, 360 Camera, Navigation Pro, Panorama, Active LED Lights, Fog Lights, 4 Zone Climate, Keyless Entry, VoC, 19'' Wheels

    9. #7
      Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      1,321
      Android Auto in Volvo is useless for me, ie it shows it on a smaller part of the display than my Galaxy A71, which is a ridiculous.
      Because Volvo programmers don't know how to write a driver that Android Auto is displayed in full screen

      It is true that there are some cameras but many are missing, which is why I wanted to import POI with cameras as you can do for other systems from several independent manufacturers
      But that has been impossible for the Sensus system since 2016


      This is just an example of one of the databases

      Austria
      Fixed speed cameras: 1.180 | Potential mobile speed cam areas: 1667

      Italy
      Fixed speed cameras: 8.843 | Potential mobile speed cam areas: 6.210

      Greece, Malta, Turkey
      Fixed speed cameras: 1.551 | Potential mobile speed cam areas: 2.331
      Last edited by BigBang; 09-09-2020 at 06:05 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    10. #8
      Junior Member s5156's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2017
      Location
      Adelaide, Australia
      Posts
      141
      Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      Android Auto in Volvo is useless for me, ie it shows it on a smaller part of the display than my Galaxy A71, which is a ridiculous.
      Because Volvo programmers don't know how to write a driver that Android Auto is displayed in full screen

      It is true that there are some cameras but many are missing, which is why I wanted to import POI with cameras as you can do for other systems from several independent manufacturers
      But that has been impossible for the Sensus system since 2016


      This is just an example of one of the databases

      Austria
      Fixed speed cameras: 1.180 | Potential mobile speed cam areas: 1667

      Italy
      Fixed speed cameras: 8.843 | Potential mobile speed cam areas: 6.210

      Greece, Malta, Turkey
      Fixed speed cameras: 1.551 | Potential mobile speed cam areas: 2.331
      Hi, can I suggest a couple of things...

      1) Buy a radar detector that pics up stationary mobile radar (vehicle based) but parked or hidden and mobile radar that is used "on the move" in patrol vehicles. We have radars hidden in garbage (wheelie) bins, covered in camouflage nets and inside vans with black glass windows. We also have "point to point" systems that photograph your car (number plates) between 2 points (maybe 100+ km apart) and work out the timing to check if you've been speeding on that section of highway.
      2) Most of the fixed radar sites are in fact on the Sensus gps system (here in Australia anyway). Most map updates by Volvo cover them when they are installed but some go missing. I can live with that.
      3) Don't speed

      I found a combination of these 3 work quiet well depending on my choice to speed or not. I don't use Android Auto or any streaming service at all for the same reasons but I do use my phone just as a phone, silly I know.

      I do appreciate that some fixed radar sites may NOT be mapped but our map updates capture them in time. As for the radar detectors.. they are illegal her in Aust but work quiet well. If I'm going for a trip I place it on the centre arm rest so it's NOT visible and found it works very well there, it's saved me many times with maybe a 3-5 km warning for oncoming mobile radar. Works for me!
      Cheers from "down under" Australia... s5156
      2018 XC60 D4 Inscription, Pine Grey, Premium Pack (B&W, Black Napa, Air Susp), Full Window Tint

    11. #9
      Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      1,321
      Quote Originally Posted by s5156 View Post
      Hi, can I suggest a couple of things...

      1) Buy a radar detector that pics up stationary mobile radar (vehicle based) but parked or hidden and mobile radar that is used "on the move" in patrol vehicles. We have radars hidden in garbage (wheelie) bins, covered in camouflage nets and inside vans with black glass windows. We also have "point to point" systems that photograph your car (number plates) between 2 points (maybe 100+ km apart) and work out the timing to check if you've been speeding on that section of highway.
      2) Most of the fixed radar sites are in fact on the Sensus gps system (here in Australia anyway). Most map updates by Volvo cover them when they are installed but some go missing. I can live with that.
      3) Don't speed

      I found a combination of these 3 work quiet well depending on my choice to speed or not. I don't use Android Auto or any streaming service at all for the same reasons but I do use my phone just as a phone, silly I know.

      I do appreciate that some fixed radar sites may NOT be mapped but our map updates capture them in time. As for the radar detectors.. they are illegal her in Aust but work quiet well. If I'm going for a trip I place it on the centre arm rest so it's NOT visible and found it works very well there, it's saved me many times with maybe a 3-5 km warning for oncoming mobile radar. Works for me!

      1. Radar detectors are illegal in Austria and most of Europe, the fine for possession of them in Austria is from 300-1000 EUR.
      They must not have them in the car, even in the trunk, even if you do not use them, confiscation and fines
      Twelve years ago in Austria they took away my radar detector, it was in the glove compartment and I paid the fine

      2. Maybe in Australia it exists, where you don’t have a lot of radar, where 90% is located in the three cities of Melbourne, Sydney and Perth

      Australia, New Zealand: Fixed speed cameras: 1.519 | Potential mobile speed cam areas: 8

      Italy: Fixed speed cameras: 8.843 | Potential mobile speed cam areas: 6.210 - I hope you now understand what I am writing about

      EU Fixed speed cameras: 76.268 | Potential mobile speed cam areas: 120.775
      Last edited by BigBang; 09-09-2020 at 09:02 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    12. #10
      Junior Member savolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Location
      Athens Greece
      Posts
      178
      Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      1. Radar detectors are illegal in Austria and most of Europe, the fine for possession of them in Austria is from 300-1000 EUR.
      They must not have them in the car, even in the trunk, even if you do not use them, confiscation and fines
      Twelve years ago in Austria they took away my radar detector, it was in the glove compartment and I paid the fine

      2. Maybe in Australia it exists, where you don’t have a lot of radar, where 90% is located in the three cities of Melbourne, Sydney and Perth

      Australia, New Zealand: Fixed speed cameras: 1.519 | Potential mobile speed cam areas: 8

      Italy: Fixed speed cameras: 8.843 | Potential mobile speed cam areas: 6.210 - I hope you now understand what I am writing about

      EU Fixed speed cameras: 76.268 | Potential mobile speed cam areas: 120.775
      Here is another idea..... Obey the rules, obey the speed limits, drive safely.......maybe you will find that the lack of speed cameras on sensus is not a big deal after all
      2018 XC60 R Design T5 - Ice White with PA2, BLISS, 360 Camera, Navigation Pro, Panorama, Active LED Lights, Fog Lights, 4 Zone Climate, Keyless Entry, VoC, 19'' Wheels

    13. #11
      Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      1,321
      Quote Originally Posted by savolvo View Post
      Here is another idea..... Obey the rules, obey the speed limits, drive safely.......maybe you will find that the lack of speed cameras on sensus is not a big deal after all

      Thanks for advice
      Not a problem, when you are on the highway, but when you drive on a regular road and the limits are constantly changing 40km / h, 50km / h, 60km / h, 80km / h is simply a moment of inattention and to drive 60-65km / h where the limit is 50 km / h

      You will only understand me if you have ever had the opportunity to drive through the north of Italy or Austria
      Last edited by BigBang; 09-16-2020 at 11:22 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    14. #12
      The Au fixed database in Sensis seems up to date.
      Volvo's speed sign recognition system is very good and responds to changing and temporary zones in familiar areas.

      Maintaining your own POI for mobile cameras seems like an imperfect solution as its only an incremental improvement & potentially always out of date.
      I find researching a route and planning ahead normally reveals local hots spots or unusual policing behavior when traveling interstate or internationally in unfamiliar areas.

      Quote Originally Posted by s5156 View Post
      Hi, can I suggest a couple of things...

      1) Buy a radar detector that pics up stationary mobile radar (vehicle based) but parked or hidden and mobile radar that is used "on the move" in patrol vehicles. We have radars hidden in garbage (wheelie) bins, covered in camouflage nets and inside vans with black glass windows. We also have "point to point" systems that photograph your car (number plates) between 2 points (maybe 100+ km apart) and work out the timing to check if you've been speeding on that section of highway.
      2) Most of the fixed radar sites are in fact on the Sensus gps system (here in Australia anyway). Most map updates by Volvo cover them when they are installed but some go missing. I can live with that.
      3) Don't speed

      I found a combination of these 3 work quiet well depending on my choice to speed or not. I don't use Android Auto or any streaming service at all for the same reasons but I do use my phone just as a phone, silly I know.

      I do appreciate that some fixed radar sites may NOT be mapped but our map updates capture them in time. As for the radar detectors.. they are illegal her in Aust but work quiet well. If I'm going for a trip I place it on the centre arm rest so it's NOT visible and found it works very well there, it's saved me many times with maybe a 3-5 km warning for oncoming mobile radar. Works for me!

    15. #13
      Junior Member savolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Location
      Athens Greece
      Posts
      178
      Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      Thanks for advice
      Not a problem, when you are on the highway, but when you drive on a regular road and the limits are constantly changing 40km / h, 50km / h, 60km / h, 80km / h is simply a moment of inattention and to drive 60-65km / h where the limit is 50 km / h

      You will only understand me if you have ever had the opportunity to drive through the north of Italy or Austria
      Well Volvo thought of it too... You can set your car to follow the limit stated at the road signs and therefore you will not have to be worried with inattention. I believe when it comes to safety Volvo (which you hate so much) is at the top.
      2018 XC60 R Design T5 - Ice White with PA2, BLISS, 360 Camera, Navigation Pro, Panorama, Active LED Lights, Fog Lights, 4 Zone Climate, Keyless Entry, VoC, 19'' Wheels

    16. #14
      Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      1,321
      Quote Originally Posted by savolvo View Post
      Well Volvo thought of it too... You can set your car to follow the limit stated at the road signs and therefore you will not have to be worried with inattention. I believe when it comes to safety Volvo (which you hate so much) is at the top.
      You have the wrong opinion, I adore Volvo
      Although engineers and developers are not able to write a program for the ECU unit for a year, they sell a car that can endanger the lives of drivers and passengers due to sudden acceleration because it switches to safety mode.
      And on safety tests the leading manufacturers in recent years all get 5-Star Safety Ratings (Euro NCAP and NHTSA)
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    17. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. V60 : Import Point Of Interest POI
      By cyrker in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 09-03-2017, 05:43 AM
    2. Replies: 0
      Last Post: 05-25-2012, 11:04 AM
    3. Built in GPS Volvo Navigation System: Add your own POI ?
      By the-uki in forum XC90 (2003 - 2014)
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 12-08-2007, 09:08 PM
    4. Volvo Navigatio System: Add your own POI?
      By the-uki in forum Car Audio, Video & Mobile Electronics Forum
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 12-03-2007, 03:52 PM
    5. Volvo navigation - Navteq map/POI coverage in Canada
      By snowkarver in forum General Volvo Discussions
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 02-01-2005, 01:28 PM