19" V90 Winters - Alternatives?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

19" V90 Winters - Alternatives?

Has anyone had any success mounting bigger sidewalled winters on a V90 CC? I have the 19 rims and am pretty unhappy with the winter tire choices - but going up from a 50 sidewall to a 55 opens up the XC90 size XL wheels (specifically the Blizzaks).

I'm definitely concerned about rubbing at the larger sidewall diameter, anyone here tried putting on a slightly taller tire?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If you are going up in wall size, you need to go down in rim size. An 18" rim is also nicer in the winter because it's a smoother ride on all the ice and bumps.

I have v90 and overall very happy with the Michelin xice in 18 size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Go with an 18" wheel. Motegi, TSW, etc. don't even mess around with cheap snow tires, go Michelin Ice X or the favorite around here Nokian R3. It always amazes me how people buy a 60K car with AWD and then try to get by with crappy all seasons.(no reflection on you) In many countries winter tires are REQUIRED. I live in Maine and have dedicated snow setups on all four of my vehicles, I value my ability to get out the door and go when I want to and to do it with the highest degree of my families physical safety!

I am in the same boat and hope that somebody could provide a definitive answer to the question.

I have 235/55R18 on the car presently. If I upped the sidewall to 235/60R18 it would increase the number of tire options available to me.

I used one of those tire size comparison sites and compared the 235/60R18 to the approved 245/45R20 size [I used the 20s as they have the largest overall diameter of the approved 18/19/20 sizes and here are the specs:

Diameter of 245/45R20 28.7"

Diameter of 235/60R18 = 29.1"

Difference = +1.4% (or 4/10s of an inch)

So the 60R18 would only be increasing the diameter of the tire by less than 1/2" over the known approved 20" size (and an approved size that is wider which I would not even be changing on the 18's) - I find it hard to believe that the 60R18's wouldn't fit.

That being said - would live to hear from somebody as Wags does that has increased the tire sidewall by 5.

I guess that the alternative is to keep same size but reduce the load rating (in some other markets for the CC Volvo publishes minimum load ratings for tires and they are lower than the 104 XL that the put on ours.

I bought Nokian R3's for my daughter's car and honestly, I was underwhelmed. They perform well but they are not really any better than what she had on her previous car (Blizzaks). I think they're a tiny bit over-hyped, at least the tires they sell to consumer's in Canada. On my previous car, I had Blizzak's and then Michelin X-Ice. I really liked the X-Ice's - by far my favourite snow tire in slush, wet snow, and ice. Having said that, my V90CC came with the 19" winter set with the Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires and they were not bad at all. We ski a lot (pretty much every weekend) and I also drive from Toronto to Mt. Tremblant on a fairly regular basis (last year 4 times between Jan - March) and never had any issues - driving in some pretty nasty conditions.

Personally, if I end up bending one or more of my 20" summer rims, I plan to swap the 19" for summer tires, and get a set of 18" for winter with Michelin X-Ice.

Quote Originally Posted by 2018V90CC View Post
      I am in the same boat and hope that somebody could provide a definitive answer to the question.

I have 235/55R18 on the car presently. If I upped the sidewall to 235/60R18 it would increase the number of tire options available to me.

I used one of those tire size comparison sites and compared the 235/60R18 to the approved 245/45R20 size [I used the 20s as they have the largest overall diameter of the approved 18/19/20 sizes and here are the specs:

Diameter of 245/45R20 28.7"

Diameter of 235/60R18 = 29.1"

Difference = +1.4% (or 4/10s of an inch)

So the 60R18 would only be increasing the diameter of the tire by less than 1/2" over the known approved 20" size (and an approved size that is wider which I would not even be changing on the 18's) - I find it hard to believe that the 60R18's wouldn't fit.

That being said - would live to hear from somebody as Wags does that has increased the tire sidewall by 5.

I guess that the alternative is to keep same size but reduce the load rating (in some other markets for the CC Volvo publishes minimum load ratings for tires and they are lower than the 104 XL that the put on ours.
      Check volvo acceswsory pages for wheels, they list all the info you would want including recommended tire sizes. for the v90cc with an 18" wheel: 235/55 R18 104V XL VOL is recommended, but .4 inches is the difference between one brand to another or a worn tire to a new one. you will be fine
      Last edited by brich999; 09-01-2020 at 10:05 AM.

When I lived in places where winter tires were necessary or required I always had studded ones. Where I live now in south central Pennsylvania almost on the M-D Line, studded tires would be an affectation and winter tires are not necessary, unless you run summer tires.

I have read, but only half believe, that today's winter tires do not need studs. Having said that, I want to ask if anyone has experience with Michelin Cross Climate SUV tires on a V90 CC or an XC70? Although an all season touring tire they carry the "Severe Snow Service" rating.

go too tacomaworld.com tire calculator.......a great website where you input tire sizes and it tells you all the differences, great tool!
      Current garage ....2017 S90 Inscription, 2018 Mercedes S63 Renntech tune 673 h.p., 2012 Sprinter van, 2018 VW Golf R APR stage 1. I am a car nut from WAAAAY back! Previously 2014 A8 SWB 4.0, 2013 E550, 2012 S550, 2010 E350 wagon, 2008 Audi S8. 39 Buick, 33 Nash coupe, 66 Comet, 67 Fairlane

I have a 18' V90CC with the standard 235/50 19 tires.
      Going to a 235/55 19 tire does open up a lot more options.
      In CT we don't get enough snow to justify snows so I will be getting Michelin Defender LTX M/S. I run these on my V70 and have never had a problem. Volvo dealer said the spedo would not need to be recalibrated because the difference would be so small.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUENDIG View Post
      I have a 18' V90CC with the standard 235/50 19 tires.
      Going to a 235/55 19 tire does open up a lot more options.
      In CT we don't get enough snow to justify snows so I will be getting Michelin Defender LTX M/S. I run these on my V70 and have never had a problem. Volvo dealer said the spedo would not need to be recalibrated because the difference would be so small.

Given your comment about the speedo - I take that to mean that you plan to upsize to 235/55R19's is that correct? So dealer said that the larger overall diameter would not be an issue and still leave adequate clearance? I can't see how such a small increase would create an issue - but curious if the dealer confirmed. I agree on the speedo - the difference in speed readings between the two sizes is quite small.

Quote Originally Posted by 2018V90CC View Post
      Given your comment about the speedo - I take that to mean that you plan to upsize to 235/55R19's is that correct? So dealer said that the larger overall diameter would not be an issue and still leave adequate clearance? I can't see how such a small increase would create an issue - but curious if the dealer confirmed. I agree on the speedo - the difference in speed readings between the two sizes is quite small.
      yes, increase to 55 & no issue. No speedo correction needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
      Has anyone had any success mounting bigger sidewalled winters on a V90 CC? I have the 19 rims and am pretty unhappy with the winter tire choices - but going up from a 50 sidewall to a 55 opens up the XC90 size XL wheels (specifically the Blizzaks).

I'm definitely concerned about rubbing at the larger sidewall diameter, anyone here tried putting on a slightly taller tire?
      https://www.wheel-size.com/size/volv...-country/2019/

235/55R18 would be factory size

Quote Originally Posted by Deus05 View Post
      If you are going up in wall size, you need to go down in rim size. An 18" rim is also nicer in the winter because it's a smoother ride on all the ice and bumps.
      This.

The general rule of thumb when it comes to winter tires is to get the smallest rim that will fit, and put the narrowest tires that sortof match the rolling diameter on them.

Winter tires need to be narrow, and the greater sidewall reduces the risks (or certainty some places) of rim damage due to rough winter roads.

Winter tires depend on cutting through the snow for traction, which is why you want them to be narrower than what you use in the summer.

Never go wider for winter tires.

Mine is not a CC, so I can't speak to the stock sizes on a CC, but I use 225/50R18's as 18's are the smallest rims that will fit over the front brakes, and the 225/50R18's were the narrowest standard tire size that came pretty close to the rolling diameter.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements