Leather Care
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Leather Care

Leather Care

What has everyone been using on their leather (if anything)? More specifically, anyone with the R-design Nappa/Textile leather, anything that can be done to lessen the creasing on the seat bolsters?

Previously had an Acura RDX with leather and seat bolsters and never once worried about anything (had some creasing, but times were simpler back then). Just curious about how the SPA leather holds up.
      2020 XC60 T5 AWD R-Design Osmium Grey | Charcoal

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I've used the Volvo leather kit on the 2017 and the 2020 since day one. They are the Inscription trim, so all Nappa Leather. The 2017 has virtually no creasing after 68,000 miles. There is some shine starting, but it looks and feels great! I think the way you get in and out of the car is a greater factor in the creases forming. I make an effort not to sit on, scuff, and bend the leather closest to the door when I get in.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tooth32 View Post
      What has everyone been using on their leather (if anything)? More specifically, anyone with the R-design Nappa/Textile leather, anything that can be done to lessen the creasing on the seat bolsters?

Previously had an Acura RDX with leather and seat bolsters and never once worried about anything (had some creasing, but times were simpler back then). Just curious about how the SPA leather holds up.
      Leather parts with a general leather cleaning and conditioner. Textile parts: first vacuum, then fabric cleaner with a towel or a brush (spray the towel/brush, not the seats or use it sparingly if sprayed directly). Then clean and dry horsehair brush and done

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by t-man View Post
      Leather parts with a general leather cleaning and conditioner. Textile parts: first vacuum, then fabric cleaner with a towel or a brush (spray the towel/brush, not the seats or use it sparingly if sprayed directly). Then clean and dry horsehair brush and done
      Do you have some suggestions for a fabric cleaner?

Nora in Florida
      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Nora in Florida

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I was looking into it and wasn’t sure if much had to be done because of the urethane coating on modern leather. The Volvo kit seems to be the best, but is also a little pricey. I’ve been using Lexol wipes because they’re easy and not too expensive, but honestly don’t think they’re doing anything...
      2020 XC60 T5 AWD R-Design Osmium Grey | Charcoal

Quote Originally Posted by OlRedHair View Post
      Do you have some suggestions for a fabric cleaner?

Nora in Florida
      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Well the tricky part is to find out whether the canvas part is really nubuck leather or alcantara type textile. However nubuck/suede cleaning products work just fine with alcantara so you can pick any one. I live in scandinavia so the product line is probably different, but I use the cheap option (KIWI Suede & Nubuck Cleaner Aerosol Spray). For leather I really like Leatherique prestige clean/rejuvenator. You just need to remember to put rejuvenator first and then clean it with prestige cleaner

Adams has a great leather conditioner that I use on my cars. Creasing is pretty much impossible to prevent. Like one of the posts above suggested, be careful getting in and out of the seat will help keep it in new like condition.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

Quote Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
      Adams has a great leather conditioner that I use on my cars. Creasing is pretty much impossible to prevent. Like one of the posts above suggested, be careful getting in and out of the seat will help keep it in new like condition.
      What exactly should you do getting in and out to help preserve the weather?

Nora in Florida
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nora in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by OlRedHair View Post
      What exactly should you do getting in and out to help preserve the weather?

Nora in Florida
      Abrasion and compression of the leather, specifically the outer edge of the seat cushion. That's where the creases start most often. If you're OCD like me and some others here, it's just a conscious effort to enter the car and exit the car without rotating your bum on the edge and sitting on the edge of the seat cushion. It might take some dexterity and flexibility. If I remember correctly, you had either knee and/or hip problems. I wouldn't worry about this at all in your circumstance.

For what it's worth, here are two pictures from our XC90'S. I'm guessing my 2020 was a show room model for a little bit. It also was a customer loaner for some time . When I bought it "new" with 200 miles, these creases were already there. These creases are worse and more visible than our 2017 with 68,000 miles on it. My guess is numerous people sat on the edge of the cushion, causing the creasing and compression to form permanent lines. And numerous people got in and out by compressing and creasing the cushion when the car was being shown.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Ultrarunner511; 09-04-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Thank you so much Ultrarunner. You are right I do have knee issues. I can get into my 850R which is lower without rotating my bum. But with the XC 40 I think I’m going to have to just accept creases. I’ll have to go out and check my 24-year-old car and see what the creases are like. I never really paid any attention. The suede/newbuck is where I have noticed wear.

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements