Alternator replace or rebuild S60R/V70R
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Alternator replace or rebuild S60R/V70R

Hello swedespeed,

I have recently began hearing a noise coming from serpentine belt area. Listened through stethoscope and sounded more like the alternator. Took the belt off and the pulley on alternator has some play when moving it up and down. I was about to order a new alternator which with shipping would be around $250-300 depending on how soon I need it. But then I saw fcp euro sells alternator pulley for around $40 plus shipping.

Did anyone ever replace just a pulley on these cars alternators? My car is 06 VR with only 56K miles. So I wonder if it is possible that just a pulley would solve the issue. Wonder how long the alternator would last if I just replace the pulley?

Please let me know what you guys think.
      Also did anyone ever rebuilt the alternator themselves? Are there threads on here about that? I tried searching but didn't see anything.

Thanks everyone

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The bearing (called the big end bearing) needs replacing. Have done a couple of Ford alternators it was pretty straightforward to split the case and replace it, but you may need an impact wrench or strap wrench to get the pulley off, and may need to lock the brushes out away from the rotor. Have never done a Volvo alternator.

I replaced alt pulley and regulator brushes on my 04. For 05+ alternators not sure about pulley but reg brushes are not serviceable afik
      04 V70R M66

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Mine was noisy when I bought the car with 138k on it. I got a used alternator from Erie Vovo with 90k on it for $90.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      2007 Volvo V70 2.5T - Mine
      2008 Nissan Titan SE 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Bed - Also Mine
      2012 Toyota Camry LE, 2.4 - Wife's
      2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0 - Daughter #1
      2010 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2.5 - Daughter #2

Replace it. They aren't expensive and you will risk the timing belt if it seizes and the drive belt flings off...
      Exponents kill
      Elsa: 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap Back from Valhalla @ 357,098 miles

Ok So I think I will just buy a new one because I'm not sure if the other parts of the alternator are worn out like the brushes and the other bearing. I was hoping to see if there are part numbers for the other bearing that is on the other side of the alternator and possibly part # for the brushes. Maybe its not worth the hassle.

Thanks for the replies, folks

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddogger View Post
      Replace it. They aren't expensive and you will risk the timing belt if it seizes and the drive belt flings off...
      uh, no? The timing belt and the serpentine belt are totally different things. If you lose the serpentine belt, you lose the alternator, ac compressor, and power steering. The water pump is behind the timing cover, on the timing belt.

I had the bearing on my alt seize. Belt flew off, lights up the whole dash, limped it a block to my office parking lot.

It welded the inner bearing race to the alternator, so I had to replace the alt. There are videos showing how to replace the alt, but they didn't work on my car. Not sure why, but I couldn't get the alt to come up out of the engine bay, no matter the orientation. We ended up taking the over engine pipe, rad fan, and throttle body pipe off, and moving the alt across behind the radiator to the drivers side of the engine bay and then out. I also did this while we were having the biggest snow storm of the year. It was a pain in the ass trying to get the alt out by the video recommended way, but easy once we realized to move it across behind the rad.
      Last edited by Enraged; 09-06-2020 at 11:59 AM.
      | 04 V70R Titanium Grey/Nordkap M66 | Hilton Stage 2 | Mototec DP & Touring Exhaust | ERST Springs | Summer Mode: 18" Fast FC04A | Winter Mode: 18" Pegs |

Quote Originally Posted by Enraged View Post
      uh, no? The timing belt and the serpentine belt are totally different things. If you lose the serpentine belt, you lose the alternator, ac compressor, and power steering. The water pump is behind the timing cover, on the timing belt.

I had the bearing on my alt seize. Belt flew off, lights up the whole dash, limped it a block to my office parking lot.

It welded the inner bearing race to the alternator, so I had to replace the alt. There are videos showing how to replace the alt, but they didn't work on my car. Not sure why, but I couldn't get the alt to come up out of the engine bay, no matter the orientation. We ended up taking the over engine pipe, rad fan, and throttle body pipe off, and moving the alt across behind the radiator to the drivers side of the engine bay and then out. I also did this while we were having the biggest snow storm of the year. It was a pain in the ass trying to get the alt out by the video recommended way, but easy once we realized to move it across behind the rad.
      If you get very unlucky it can nuke the timing belt... I have seen it before unfortunately
      Exponents kill
      Elsa: 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap Back from Valhalla @ 357,098 miles

One other consideration- when my A/C compressor froze up, I was not able to start the car because of the amount of resistance in the serpentine belt system. Yes, you can mess up the timing belt with a serpentine belt failure- I've seen it on Audis before.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements