XC60 Ride Quality?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

XC60 Ride Quality?

I am considering getting a Volvo XC60 Inscription but am curious about ride quality in urban environments (with winters). Can current owners comment? I have read reviews that describe the ride as “brittle” and “stiff legged”. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I love the ride/handling on my 2019 XC60. Air Suspension helps. Firm when I want it that way. Soft enough to keep my wife and baby son happy.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Unquestionably the most comfortable and best riding car I have ever owned.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

It's likely all relative. Our XC60 (w/air suspension) is the best riding car we've owned, but we don't go through a lot of cars (our most recent purchases before this year were the used Odyssey in 2004 and the new V70 in 2001). Definitely a better ride than our V70 or our Odyssey. When I was researching prior to settling on the Volvo I tried the Mercedes GLC and it was just a little worse ride, but that was the standard suspension on the GLC -vs- the air suspension on the XC60 so not quite apples-to-apples.

Note that we don't have a lot of frost heaves and things like that but we do have a lot of roads that are just plain lousy. There are routes that I am willing to take with the XC60 that I studiously avoided with the V70 because of the road quality. The new car doesn't completely isolate us but it's a lot better. It's also very apparent how much better it is when hitting those short sections of rumble strip they sometimes cut into the road around here to warn of a major intersection or stop. With the V70 we did our best to steer around them every time, with the XC60 it's not a big deal (note - with the lane keeping assist on the XC60 steering around them can be odd, the car gently resists my attempt because I need to get right to the fog line to straddle the strip.)
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription Ice White/blonde
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blonde (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by jpnwdc View Post
      I am considering getting a Volvo XC60 Inscription but am curious about ride quality in urban environments (with winters). Can current owners comment? I have read reviews that describe the ride as “brittle” and “stiff legged”. Thanks!
      It is best to try it yourself, each driver has a different driving style, different requirements and expectations from the vehicle.
      I have an XC60 and a Q5 MY2018, that’s a big difference
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

I have an XC60 Inscription. It doesn't have the air suspension and it has 20" tires. I think the ride quality on the XC60 can best be described as unrefined. It doesn't do well on broken pavement and ever road disruption punches through to the cabin. Even quick drops in the road hit you in bottom of the seat. It's honestly one of the stiffest riding vehicle I've owned.

I love the car and don't regret leasing it because it had lots of other virtues. However, if a comfortable ride is a main draw for you, I'd look elsewhere.

One other comment: usually a stiff ride translates to sporty handling. Not so in the XC60. Handling is very good, like driving a good family sedan. However, is not fun to drive in the same sense as an X3 or RDX.

Folk on this board who rate the ride quality positively generally have the air suspension. Opinions on the air suspension vary but when I test drove it, I felt like it was a big improvement.
      Last edited by Walkabout; 09-05-2020 at 10:28 AM.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

1 of those things u just have to test drive it urself as what 1 thinks is great, another disagrees.....my T8 does not have the air suspension....and I had a loaner T8 for a week that did.....I didnt notice much of a difference..where others on here say it is night and day!!
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

My XC60 2019 has the regular suspension. Is fine with the supplied Pirellis in the summer and it is just a little bit softer on the Bridgestone DM-V2 winters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      I have an XC60 Inscription. It doesn't have the air suspension and it has 20" tires. I think the ride quality on the XC60 can best be described as unrefined. It doesn't do well on broken pavement and ever road disruption punches through to the cabin. Even quick drops in the road hit you in bottom of the seat. It's honestly one of the stiffest riding vehicle I've owned.

I love the car and don't regret leasing it because it had lots of other virtues. However, if a comfortable ride is a main draw for you, I'd look elsewhere.

One other comment: usually a stiff ride translates to sporty handling. Not so in the XC60. Handling is very good, like driving a good family sedan. However, is not fun to drive in the same sense as an X3 or RDX.

Folk on this board who rate the ride quality positively generally have the air suspension. Opinions on the air suspension vary but when I test drove it, I felt like it was a big improvement.
      Walkabout's perception and experience matches my own, with my 2018 T6 Inscription, without air suspension. I have 27,000 miles under my belt on it. As recommended already, you need to test drive it on different types of pavement, not just the smooth highway.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      It is best to try it yourself, each driver has a different driving style, different requirements and expectations from the vehicle.
      I have an XC60 and a Q5 MY2018, that’s a big difference
      I have a Q5 now. Drive is good. The seats not so much. How would you compare your XC60 to the Q5?

I have a Q5 now. Drive is good. The seats not so much. How would you compare your XC60 to the Q5?
      The seats in the Q5 are a bit stiffer than in the XC60
      Depending on which seat model you have in Q5, I have an S-line equipment package and S-line seats
      As far as I’ve seen in the US market there aren’t all seat options

Other comparison here:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...2-0TFSI-S-line

It is best to test all the car models you like yourself

Good luck with your choice

S-line seat RoW:

Last edited by BigBang; 09-05-2020 at 06:30 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

The seats in the Q5 are a bit stiffer than in the XC60
      Depending on which seat model you have in Q5, I have an S-line equipment package and S-line seats
      As far as I’ve seen in the US market there aren’t all seat options

Other comparison here:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...2-0TFSI-S-line

It is best to test all the car models you like yourself

Good luck with your choice

S-line seat RoW:

I have the warm weather package sport seats. When I bought it I thought they were better than the standard seats. A year later and after trying multiple seat cushions I am ready to punt. I drove an XC60 today. No doubt seats are better. Drive not as good as the Q5.

I have a T8 w air suspension. I certainly wouldn't call it soft, but it's certainly not harsh.

I have the warm weather package sport seats. When I bought it I thought they were better than the standard seats. A year later and after trying multiple seat cushions I am ready to punt. I drove an XC60 today. No doubt seats are better. Drive not as good as the Q5.
      I looked at the Q5 too. I'm many ways, I liked it better than the XC60. The main issue that moved the Q5 down on my list was seat comfort. The seats being firm was not an issue (I liked that). The shape and design was poor though . Those seats really hurt my back badly and they were (again, in an annoying industry trend) way too heavily bolstered on the bottom.

Go to any Audi forum and you'll find thread after thread about the seats being bad.

On the other hand, seat quality is very subjective. If the seats work for you, it may be an option.
      Last edited by Walkabout; 09-06-2020 at 12:32 PM.

I find my XC60 (with air suspension) a bit hard on rough roads but overall reasonably compliant. However, the combination of the best seats in the industry & a smooth drivetrain (engine & transmission) make this the most comfortable & relaxing cruiser I have ever owned. Not as sporty as BMW but much better overall.
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription, Pine Grey, Maroon Brown Interior, Polestar, Advanced, Vision, Convenience, Protection, Air Suspension, B&W, etc

Quote Originally Posted by njlime View Post
      I find my XC60 (with air suspension) a bit hard on rough roads but overall reasonably compliant. However, the combination of the best seats in the industry & a smooth drivetrain (engine & transmission) make this the most comfortable & relaxing cruiser I have ever owned. Not as sporty as BMW but much better overall.
      The best seats perhaps for you personally, are not the best in the car industry

https://www.caranddriver.com/researc...ortable-seats/

https://spinenation.com/conditions/l...e-buyers-guide

https://drivetribe.com/p/top-5-most-...TruBN1oobDWrVQ

https://www.carleasingpeople.co.uk/b...k-difficulties

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/cars-wi...sumer-reports/

https://www.consumerreports.org/buyi...e-front-seats/

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/this-ye...sumer-reports/

Volvo has great seats but whether they are the best is a personal matter
      Last edited by BigBang; 09-07-2020 at 01:53 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

OP, I have air suspension on my 2020 XC60 T8 and couldn’t be happier with the ride around town, on the highway, and especially around corners where I don’t have more noticeable roll some other vehicles or configurations have when I take a surface street corner a bit faster when having fun. Inscription seats are stupendous, as are their ability to be adjusted nearly any way I desire.

For perspective, the roads I travel are generally fairly good, and I don’t do any off-roading, while encountering minimal freezing/snow situations. I also never go for oversized wheels (my XC60 has the optional 20’s, not the 22’s.) I’ve owned MBZ, BMW and Tesla that were all OK with their “ride” — a couple more sporty by design with so-so seating even with their top trim/seating levels — but I didn’t believe any of them surpassed my many years with multiple Lexus RXh, where the ride was consistently what I considered best-of-breed comfort-wise. My Volvo exceeds Lexus in these regards, and rapidly moved to the top of my list for comfort after taking delivery.

As has been suggested, try to get a test drive with the suspension, seat types, and wheel size you’re interested in. IMHO those variables will contribute to what you may find in different road and driving conditions. Good luck in your pursuit.
      Last edited by BertL; 09-07-2020 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Improved English
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      OP, I have air suspension on my 2020 XC60 T8 and couldn’t be happier with the ride around town, on the highway, and especially around corners where I don’t have more noticeable roll some other vehicles or configurations have when I take a surface street corner a bit faster when having fun. Inscription seats are stupendous, as are their ability to be adjusted nearly any way I desire.

For perspective, the roads I travel are generally fairly good, and I don’t do any off-roading, while encountering minimal freezing/snow situations. I also never go for oversized wheels (my XC60 has the optional 20’s, not the 22’s.) I’ve owned MBZ, BMW and Tesla that were all OK with their “ride” — a couple more sporty by design with so-so seating even with their top trim/seating levels — but I didn’t believe any of them surpassed my many years with multiple Lexus RXh, where the ride was consistently what I considered best-of-breed comfort-wise. My Volvo exceeds Lexus in these regards, and rapidly moved to the top of my list for comfort after taking delivery.

As has been suggested, try to get a test drive with the suspension, seat types, and wheel size you’re interested in. IMHO those variables will contribute to what you may find in different road and driving conditions. Good luck in your pursuit.
      What Bert said. I have XC60/T8/polestarred; 20" + stock rubber ( Conti).

/kleks
      --
      2020 XC60 T8 Polestarred Orca - Arctic white/black/black. Did I miss any option ?
      2004 V70 R - sleeper.
      C43 AMG - exuberance of the youth
      1996 S70 T5 - mech special.
      Honda V70 Magna, Yamaha FJ1200, Honda CBR 1100XX x 2, Honda CBR 900RR, BMW R1200GS, BMW R1200GSA... you need acceleration ? get two wheels.
      Wanna race ? Let's go to Anchorage and back.

I have a 2020 R-Design w/ 19” wheels. Ride quality is above average, and great for daily/long trips. Previously had a 2018 Momentum w/ 20” wheels, and the ride was significantly worse. Although the 19” don’t look as cool, I’d recommend smaller wheels and probably 4C if you’re looking for a cashier ride. Neither of my cars had 4C.
      2020 XC60 T5 AWD R-Design Osmium Grey | Charcoal

I’ve been driving a 2020 XC60 T6 Momentum with 20 inch wheels today as a loaner because my brides XC40 is in for an oil change. I find the ride harsh for the level of handling you get. I’ve driven several XC60’s as loaner and test drove one before the XC40 and everyone I’ve driven has been about the same. I don’t mind a firm suspension if it’s offset by great handling. I don’t think Volvo got the ride/handling balance right.
      My bride’s - 2019 XC40 (July 2019 OSD), Momentum Mine - 2013 VW GTI Drivers Edition and 1996 VW GTI VR6 (bought new and still love it) Ours - 2008 Jeep GC Limited with a Hemi.

My wife is very sensitive to ride comfort. She is very happy with her XC60 in Momentum spec with the base 18" wheels.
      His: 2021 XC90 T8, Crystal white with Amber, 7 pass. Hers: 2020 XC60 T5 FWD Momentum, Osmium Gray, blond leather.
      His Toy: 2017 Mazda Miata, Red with beige leather, 6MT. Her toy: 2013 C70, Caspian Blue with black sovereign hide interior.
      Daughter number one: 2016 XC60 T5 FWD
      Daughter number two: 2018 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum with Polestar, Son-in-Law: 2013 S60 T5 AWD
      Daughter number three: 2020 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum 6 passenger

I've always driven European cars and like the stiff ride compared to Japanese or some American makes where you don't feel the road. If you're seeking the latter, then XC60 is not for you. I am perfectly happy with 21" rims and no air suspension on Canadian roads (snow up to your knee and broken roads due to freezing/thawing with potholes deep enough to bathe a baby) in urban areas.
      Last edited by vlvownr; 09-09-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vlvownr View Post
      I've always driven European cars and like the stiff ride compared to Japanese or some American makes where you don't feel the road. If you're seeking the latter, then XC60 is not for you. I am perfectly happy with 21" rims and no air suspension on Canadian roads (snow up to your knee and broken roads due to freezing/thawing with potholes deep enough to bathe a baby) in urban areas.
      That's a stereotype about American vs. European vehicles. Before the XC60, the stiffest ride in any car I owned was the first generation Acura TSX. if anything, I think sporty Japanese and American makes tend to have very stiff rides - those brands just can't seem to get the ride/handling tradeoff down.

What is remarkable about the premium Euro brands - BMW, M-B and Audi (to lessor extents) is that they manage to offer excellent handling and ride. It's the balance.

In the SPA Volvos - you get neither. The ride is stiff and unrefined (its not just about "road" feel - its about getting bounced around by every road imperfection and having a busy ride on even smooth streets). And, the handling is good but certainly not a standout in the class. Dynamically, the XC60 is not competitive with the X3 or Q5.

of course, Volvos have other virtues - seat comfort, interior quality, visibility, styling. I freaking love mine and will lease another. However, I believe that the ride quality is well below the leaders in this class.

That's a stereotype about American vs. European vehicles. Before the XC60, the stiffest ride in any car I owned was the first generation Acura TSX. if anything, I think sporty Japanese and American makes tend to have very stiff rides - those brands just can't seem to get the ride/handling tradeoff down.

What is remarkable about the premium Euro brands - BMW, M-B and Audi (to lessor extents) is that they manage to offer excellent handling and ride. It's the balance.

In the SPA Volvos - you get neither. The ride is stiff and unrefined (its not just about "road" feel - its about getting bounced around by every road imperfection and having a busy ride on even smooth streets). And, the handling is good but certainly not a standout in the class. Dynamically, the XC60 is not competitive with the X3 or Q5.

of course, Volvos have other virtues - seat comfort, interior quality, visibility, styling. I freaking love mine and will lease another. However, I believe that the ride quality is well below the leaders in this class.
      So you hate the ride but love the car?

So you hate the ride but love the car?
      That’s what I was thinking. What good is having a nice interior if you exit the vehicle, every time, feeling like the road just beat your body to a pulp? Ride quality is high up on many people’s priorities.

I don't hate the ride. I think the ride quality is pretty marginal. Every vehicle has weak points.

The XC60 is insanely comfortable, I love the drivetrain, I love the way it looks, the interior materials and layout are fantastic, the handling is not sporty but it is carlike.

It's a great overall package and I'm really happy with the vehicle.

I'm going to lease another but I'll order the air suspension and avoid the 20" tires.
      Last edited by Walkabout; 09-12-2020 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyboy View Post
      That’s what I was thinking. What good is having a nice interior if you exit the vehicle, every time, feeling like the road just beat your body to a pulp? Ride quality is high up on many people’s priorities.
      Do any current SPA XC60 owners feel this way? I certainly don’t. Not even close. I’m usually in good spirits and mindset after a drive in my XC60.

To a point, at the height of the ‘Rona lockdowns, a nice long drive in my XC60 was a great form of stress relief for me.
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |

You do have air suspension, which helps.

I don't have 4c but I freaking love the vehicle. A stiffish ride is not that big a deal.

You do have air suspension, which helps.

I don't have 4c but I freaking love the vehicle. A stiffish ride is not that big a deal.
      Most of my driving is with the suspension in Power mode. I love the ride and handling. You are right a stiffer ride is no big deal considering everything else the XC60 has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      Do any current SPA XC60 owners feel this way? I certainly don’t. Not even close. I’m usually in good spirits and mindset after a drive in my XC60.

To a point, at the height of the ‘Rona lockdowns, a nice long drive in my XC60 was a great form of stress relief for me.
      Probably because you’ve never driven anything better than the XC60, that’s why the XC60 is the best in the world for you

Because if the XC60 was so good at driving it would be the best-selling in its class
      Last edited by BigBang; 09-12-2020 at 05:29 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

I have Air suspension but the ride is on stiffer side compared to my other European SUV (with 19"), my R-Design 21" wheels don't help either. However, in Polestar mode, I enjoy the XC60.
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

any car with 20" wheels will affect the ride.
      especially in bumpy roads
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo S60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

I agree, Stocis. I won't go for those large tires again.

When with 20" , the stuff ride is not detracting from my ownership expensive. Car had been a pleasure to own.

I agree, Stocis. I won't go for those large tires again.

When with 20" , the stuff ride is not detracting from my ownership expensive. Car had been a pleasure to own.
      I drove a preowned R-Design with air suspension (the dealer didn't have a new one with it) and a new inscription without (with 20" rims). I found the one with air suspension slightly better.

Although neither handles or rides as well at the Q5 the seats are much better in the XC60 as is the styling. On the 2021 Inscription ventilated seats are standard which concerns me a little as they feel slightly harder than the standard leather seats.

XC60 Ride Quality?

Probably because you’ve never driven anything better than the XC60, that’s why the XC60 is the best in the world for you

Because if the XC60 was so good at driving it would be the best-selling in its class
      You really love to assume. You don’t know what my family and friends drive. Yes I never test drive anything other than an XC60 before buying my 2nd one, but that doesn’t limit my experience with the XC60’s competition.

I trust Volvo with my safety. Their track record is solid and consistent in this area. VAG lied to everyone on emissions. Trust is so hard to rebuild. I don’t consider BMW to be safer and the X6 has terrible ergonomics and poor fuel economy compared to a T8.

The overall driving experience of a properly optioned XC60 is far above average.
      Last edited by RootDKJ; 09-13-2020 at 12:09 PM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast