Who does decent B%244T5 swap tunes?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Who does decent B5244T5 swap tunes?

So, it turns out, the Internet lied, and you do need a tune when you do a 2.4 engine swap. Or at least, I do. Had been fighting a surging issue at anything over 14-15psi boost, and on a whim threw in half a tank of CAM2. Now it runs right on up to 18 pounds super smooth and clean like it should.

The weird thing is, it ran on 87 just fine with the stock engine, but now it is unhappy with 93 with the 2.4.

I understand Contrast is on vacation or super busy, I get that. Plus I guess he requires a smart phone to tether to a laptop and homey don't play dat. Does anyone else do a decent tune? I am not looking for "more power" necessarily, and I do NOT want any safeties disabled. Car is a daily driver commuter device that I also use for towing.

I'm also contemplating just going with a Snow Performance set up and tapping it in to the washer fluid reservoir.
      Last edited by Noosy Cricket; 09-07-2020 at 12:39 PM.
      '06 S60 R GT (B5244T5 powered as of 230k)
      '84 RX-7 rallycross champion domination-bucket
      '81 RX-7 ex-rallycross champion sunny day cruiser
      '73 RX-3 proto-rallycross-champion
      '86 VW Quantum Syncro turbo 2.3l 10v K24-7400 in progress

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I would expect rob at Hilton to be able to tune that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It should not need a tune, is it possible you got your vac lines mixed up when doing the swap?

I recommend Hilton, great response time and never left me hanging unlike others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      '04 XC70 | Silver Metallic/Nordkap 220K | Shimmed B5254T2 | K24 | M66 w/ SPEC single mass | IPD catback | Elevate sways | BC Coilovers | Hilton Stage 3 Tune
      '13 C30 T5M | Black Stone/Black | 135K | Stock

Past - 09 S40 2.4I, 04 S60R M66
      Instagram - @boostedxc

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Boost is properly controlled, and is the same as when it was completely stock, so no.

What I find interesting is that, besides not fitting the car (rear O2 sensor was pointed at the driveshaft) the ipd downpipe also cut pressure from 2150hpa to 2050hpa. Putting the stock downpipe and failed cat back on brought the pressure back.
      Last edited by Noosy Cricket; 09-07-2020 at 12:58 PM.

Are you running stock turbo and was the car ever tuned before? 18 PSI sounds high on a stock K24

'04 XC70 | Silver Metallic/Nordkap 220K | Shimmed B5254T2 | K24 | M66 w/ SPEC single mass | IPD catback | Elevate sways | BC Coilovers | Hilton Stage 3 Tune

Instagram - @boostedxc

Quote Originally Posted by LukeFlynn View Post
      Are you running stock turbo and was the car ever tuned before? 18 PSI sounds high on a stock K24

It's 15psi if you roll into the throttle, 18psi if you stab the throttle and let the transmission kick down a gear or three. Then it holds 18psi with the usual momentary spike on upshifts, I am not sure for how long because I do enjoy having a driver's license. Highly unlikely to have been tuned, it was a fleet lease vehicle that was then owned by a very nice older gentleman who left the car completely stock yet well maintained, with a nice thick fat stack of records.

This is the other reason I am actually leaning towards water injection, I have had to deal with a lot of very bad tunes professionally. Personally i'd almost want to deal with it myself, but I also am getting old and lazy and don't feel like investing in the hardware and software, or the learning curve for a new engine management system.
      Last edited by Noosy Cricket; 09-07-2020 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noosy Cricket View Post

The weird thing is, it ran on 87 just fine with the stock engine, but now it is unhappy with 93 with the 2.4.
      It didnít. May have felt like that but no no thatís knock city. Maybe the reason you now have a 2.4 T5 instead of the original motor.

Stock boost is 15 psi. No more, certainly less in the lower gears and autos.

Wastegate should be set to 7-8 psi max.

An ecu reset is highly recommended. Adaptations can get screwy when fuel is changed.

In terms of hardware being changed.....it really didnít. Same head. Same injectors. Same MAF. Same manifolds. Same turbo. Same exhaust. Same compression ratio. Youíve lost 4.8% displacement. Thatís not causing surging.
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 209k - K24/Greens/Do88/Quaife/SMF/P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 303k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 245k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 218k - Sisters

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      It didnít. May have felt like that but no no thatís knock city. Maybe the reason you now have a 2.4 T5 instead of the original motor.
      The minimum octane is 87. Fuel economy is slightly higher on 87 so I would run 87 on long all-highway trips in flat areas. (Have seen almost 30mpg on a trip average!) For sure, any time I am towing or doing city driving, it always got fed 92 minimum.

The 2.5 got pulled after an ignition coil died while I was three hours from home, towing a trailer, in a blizzard. Three hours of pulling a trailer in sub-freezing weather with cylinder 4 with a dead miss resulted in a really, REALLY big crack in the cylinder head. Went straight through from one of the exhaust seats to one of the passages in the deck. Thermal shock is a bitch.

Stock boost is 15 psi. No more, certainly less in the lower gears and autos.
      6 speed autos were not torque limited, which is why I held out for a clean '06-07 in the first place.

In terms of hardware being changed.....it really didnít. Same head. Same injectors. Same MAF. Same manifolds. Same turbo. Same exhaust. Same compression ratio. Youíve lost 4.8% displacement. Thatís not causing surging.

Again, I have never played with Motronic. But I assume that it calculates ignition timing based off of air mass per cylinder cycle like every other MAF computer I have played with. The way the math works, a smaller cylinder will result in running with more ignition advance, because for the same manifold pressure, the air mass is going to be lower. That's something that should be easily fixable.
      Last edited by Noosy Cricket; 09-07-2020 at 02:46 PM.

If I'm not mistaken most tuners have proved that the 6 speed is indeed limited, just not as aggressive as the Aw55?

I'm in agreement with Scottish here, your hardware is very close to the same and it is likely you have some other issue going on, I would go through all the basics first before throwing a tune or meth at it (which you really shouldn't need at stock power levels even with stock IC)

Also regarding the injectors? You did swap the greens over right? The stock T5 injectors that come on the motor are blues.

Instagram - @boostedxc

Who does decent B%244T5 swap tunes?

Run =/= perform properly or even as designed.

Donít run 87 in your R. Ever.

The TF80 is absolutely limited. Less limited but still limited. Also not as indestructible as the internet might lead you to believe.

Try shell 93 for fuel. Verify all the vacuum lines. Smoke test for leaks. Its not an ecu ďtuneĒ issue.
      Last edited by ScottishBrick; 09-07-2020 at 02:52 PM.
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 209k - K24/Greens/Do88/Quaife/SMF/P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 303k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 245k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 218k - Sisters

The TF80 is absolutely limited. Less limited but still limited. Also not as indestructible as the internet might lead you to believe.
      Next time I have the scan tool in it, I'll log the turbo solenoid duty cycles. By recollection it was the same percentage in whichever gear, but it's been a long time. For sure, the throttle position stayed at 100% (or whatever the actual max that it could read is, 99.2%?)

And yes, not indestructible. I discovered that when I did some hard cornering with the engine near redline, and the torque converter bushing siezed to the torque converter and wrecked the pump. THEN I found out that one should run the trans a little overfull so the pump doesn't suck air in hard corners. Oops. On the other hand, everything else inside the transmission looked like new at 200k (the guy said the frictions he pulled still had the printing on them legible) so we slapped it back together with a new pump, and I had the converter gone through and loosened up a bit.

That is where I did discover a limitation: Throttle is limited with the brake applied when stopped. With the old converter, you could brake torque the engine and the turbo would spool up and overpower the brakes. (Crappy pads that were worthless cold, first thing I threw away!) With the looser converter, it won't build boost. Same throttle position at 1200-1500rpm higher means no spoolup. I never bothered to datalog because I have zero interest in drag racing, it's just one of those things that I noted was a curiosity and didn't give a second thought.

Try shell 93 for fuel. Verify all the vacuum lines. Smoke test for leaks. Its not an ecu ďtuneĒ issue.
      Had been running all sorts of different fuels. Have already smoke tested several times. All adaptives are right on the money.
      Last edited by Noosy Cricket; 09-07-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Run =/= perform properly or even as designed.

Donít run 87 in your R. Ever.

Will is absolutely correct on every point.

DO NOT run 87 octane. The car was designed for 93. Itís highly likely this is why your 4T4 died.

TF80SC is absolutely torque limited, but it can be removed in a tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      06 VR GT - daily driver ~18" TSW Nurburgring wheels ~Contrast Stage 4 ~Shimmed block ~EFR7163 turbo ~1050cc Injectors ~TorqByte PM3 fuel pump and CM5-LT W/M controllers ~track spec IPD Bars ~Ultra Racing front strut bar & VST rear strut bar ~SS brake lines~Innovate Boost & AFR fail safe

Quote Originally Posted by Austin V70R View Post
      DO NOT run 87 octane. The car was designed for 93. Itís highly likely this is why your 4T4 died.
      Pretty sure it wasn't. Hell, the bottom end is still in great shape, and it never burned oil or left any debris in the filter up until I pulled it out. Never any silver flecks on the plugs. It died basically because an ignition coil died at the absolute worst possible time.

Volvo themselves specify 87 in the owner's manual. I mean, yeah, they also specify 7500 mile oil changes with generic oil (I do 3k with Mobil) but sitting on 65mph cruise control for three or four hundred miles is the best case scenario. Hell, an 8.5:1 pentroof engine should be able to do low loads like that on kerosene

Quote Originally Posted by Noosy Cricket View Post
      Pretty sure it wasn't. Hell, the bottom end is still in great shape, and it never burned oil or left any debris in the filter up until I pulled it out. Never any silver flecks on the plugs. It died basically because an ignition coil died at the absolute worst possible time.

Volvo themselves specify 87 in the owner's manual. I mean, yeah, they also specify 7500 mile oil changes with generic oil (I do 3k with Mobil) but sitting on 65mph cruise control for three or four hundred miles is the best case scenario. Hell, an 8.5:1 pentroof engine should be able to do low loads like that on kerosene
      87 is the minimum, but the engines are designed to run on 91.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      06 VR GT - daily driver ~18" TSW Nurburgring wheels ~Contrast Stage 4 ~Shimmed block ~EFR7163 turbo ~1050cc Injectors ~TorqByte PM3 fuel pump and CM5-LT W/M controllers ~track spec IPD Bars ~Ultra Racing front strut bar & VST rear strut bar ~SS brake lines~Innovate Boost & AFR fail safe

I put a 2.4 T5 engine in my last R with stock tune and turbo and it ran absolutely perfect for a year until I sold it. I really doubt it's the displacement that's the issue.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70 2.5T - Ice White - Oak Arena, (almost) bone stock daily driver.
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car. No mods unless she does 'em herself.

You have another issue.

Been using a 2.4 since 2011 on stock tune with FMIC, downpipe, and LWFW.

Instagram: @oliepyle
      '05 S60R - 2.4R, RaceS60R FMIC, RaceS60R Downpipe, SPEC LWFW/Stage 3 clutch, Elevate upper mount, Forge CBV, Phuzzy HDTCV, Eibach, IPD Sways, Powerflex/Superflex CA bushings, JVC M730 Head Unit (Android Auto, Subwoofer, Back Up Camera)
      '99 Audi A4 1.8T Stage 3...

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements