Buying 2005 S60 R M66 - How rare are they?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Buying 2005 S60 R M66 - How rare are they?

Went to checkout a M66 R with a blown engine(head gasket- milky oil, pressure in the cooling system when cranking and the "no compression" sound) and a rebuilt title with 149k miles. PO said it overheated.
      I know the manual transmission cars are rare, but how rare are they? Does anybody remember the production numbers/ how many M66 were imported to USA? I remember seeing it somewhere in the forum,
      Cl coat is pealing off few panels and mostly roof, break calipers look good no rust, dampers are firm ( I know how pricey they are) Also FL car no rust under the body.
      I missed 3 R's in the past because didn't act fast, any ideas and advice would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

771 total m66 2005s made.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Don’t have exact numbers, but from personal experience manual s60rs are fairly easy to find for under 4-6k depending on condition. Depending on cost a blown engine wouldn’t stop me from buying one necessarily, but it would have to be around the $1500 mark.

V70rs are far more rare in manual and go for stupid money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      '04 XC70 | Silver Metallic/Nordkap 220K | Shimmed B5254T2 | K24 | M66 w/ SPEC single mass | EST Sport catback | Elevate sways | BC Coilovers | Hilton Stage 3 Tune
      '13 C30 T5M | Black Stone/Black | 135K | Stock

Past - 09 S40 2.4I, 04 S60R M66
      Instagram - @boostedxc

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thank you for the quick replies, will wait until tomorrow to decide whether to buy it

Like said above, you can usually find good condition clean title ~100-150k mile M66 R's for the $6k range. The rule of thumb is any R you buy under $6K will end up being a $6K car when it is all sorted. So unless you can do all the work yourself and you'll be getting into it for ~$1-1.5k, it won't be worth it. Engine rebuild + rebuilt title will probably make it a $4k car max, regardless of condition + mods
      2005 S60 T5 M66 (1 of 72). 4C (for now), Sport Kit, Snabb Short Shifter+Bushings, IPD Track Sways F+R, Bi-Xenon Retrofitted R Headlights - custom fuse box/wiring harness, IPD DP + Oval Tube Exhaust, Forge CBV, Snabb intake pipe, R Brembos F+R, FC04A 17x8+35. coming soon: KW V2, Delrin Subframe Bushings, Do88 Intercooler, Stage 2 Tune. HU-650+Bluetooth Grom+PA300+2xFocal ISS165+ACM-1.300+2x6.5" Dayton Rear Door Subwoofers.
      2005 G55k Family hauler
      2007 Formula SAE Racecar - Custom Tube Frame Chassis, Fox Shocks, Pullrod Suspension, , Wilwood Calipers, Hoosier Slicks, Magnesium 2pc wheels... (full auto-x resto)
      NA1 Supercharged NSX someday.

It’s gonna need a new engine... changes if a HG are close to zero 😞

Great opportunity to swap in a T5.

I have heard that before, what are the benefits of doing that?

I have just recently purchased me an automatic one same year and is an r as well....paid $750....is supposed to run but haven't heard it....they keys got lost and some fool thought all he had to do was swap the ignition out....silly fool...so its locked out by immobilizer...i have been trying to put together my own programing setup to access the eeprom in the immobilizer and see if i can pull the necessary info....funny how one project spawns another...both of which i know not much about, but confident on anything i bite off....i thought it was a good deal rather it ran or not and this post confirmed it for me

Quote Originally Posted by dialexs View Post
      I have heard that before, what are the benefits of doing that?
      mainly a block that wont crack as easily. Also if you get the later 2.4 T5 you get the K24 turbo etc already stock, they can easily handle at least 450hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Josho View Post
      I have just recently purchased me an automatic one same year and is an r as well....paid $750....is supposed to run but haven't heard it....they keys got lost and some fool thought all he had to do was swap the ignition out....silly fool...so its locked out by immobilizer...i have been trying to put together my own programing setup to access the eeprom in the immobilizer and see if i can pull the necessary info....funny how one project spawns another...both of which i know not much about, but confident on anything i bite off....i thought it was a good deal rather it ran or not and this post confirmed it for me
      You would be better off parting out the car. You could get your money out just by selling the engine... and there's at least one poster in this thread who just happens to need an engine.

Easiest way is to tow it to the dealer and pay the $300 for a new key, then you can test drive it and see what you have. Reprogramming might take you longer than expected, but since you are going this route you must be pretty knowledgeable, Best of luck!

If you part it out, I call dibs on the M66 Trans and all associated bits.
      2007 S60R TF-80SC Sapphire/Nordkap - TME Springs / IPD Subframe Inserts / do88 IC
      2012 XC60 T6 Platinum / Polestar

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements