V90 Ride Quality
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

V90 Ride Quality

Hi, folks. Long-time Volvo owner but soon to be a new OSD V90 owner. Due to travel restrictions, I was never able to actually drive the car before the purchase, but I drove the Cross Country version and an S90, so I have a general idea of what to expect. Man, that's a slow boat across the Atlantic, but I digress.

Of course, I've read all the magazine reviews, and the subject of "stiff ride" comes up often.

Is the V90 any stiffer that S90 or V90 Cross Country?

Is the R-Design stiffer than Inscription? The car rags tend to test the RD, so this may factor into their impressions.

How about the air suspension? Does it help in this regard?

Thanks for any response. I look forward to contributing to my new home forum.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Air suspension is amazing. I have the v90 CC on 21inch wheels and just back from a 1500 mile trip to Scotland from Kent. Absolutely loved the car and the way it handled. Road noise was minimal or non existent as I think Volvo puts foam in their tyres. I am planning to swap to Contis with ContiSilent for better grip and handling from the Pzeros that I have now.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

V90 Ride Quality

I can’t say how much stiffer the r chassis is compare to the inscription but I’m quite happy to have the r. If you opted for the 20” and will drive in dynamic/ p* mode don’t expect smooth ride over pot holes but it is comfy enough in comfort mode for me.
      The winter setup on 18” is very comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by rkohou; 09-08-2020 at 10:55 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Our V90CC has the air suspension and 19-in wheels and is fantastic for ride quality. Recently had a base V60CC loaner and was surprised at how unsettled the suspension was compared to our V90CC.

Thanks, all. This will be the fifth car I've bought sight-unseen. A bit risky, but it's worked out nicely so far.

It's really the only feasible way acquire a scarce or unusual car.

Others here have said that the S90 and V90 suspensions are somewhat more stiffly tuned than the V90CC. Did you notice a diffference when you tested the S90 and V90CC?

No, I did not notice a difference, but they were different locations and different roads.

Biggest difference -- which surprised me -- was how much more rear legroom you got in the sedan.

V90 Ride Quality

On the R design trim (non air suspension) that I have, there is some high frequency vibration harness that’s more noticeable on this car than other cars I have driven (mostly BMW and Porsche). As in you feel some vibration through the brake pedal when driving over roughly paved concrete roads. Nothing that would really bother anyone though.

Might be because of the leaf springs in the back, which tends to transfer more NVH than more common coil springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 Single Turbo / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline
      07 BMW R1200S: Akrapovic / Ohlins / Quickshifter
      19 Volvo V90 T6: R-Design / Bowers & Wilkins / Polestar Optimization

Leaf springs?!

I don't have the car yet, but I'm gonna get under there and check it out.

After a quick search, I've learned it is a composite transverse monoleaf arrangement, like modern-era Corvettes. There's a good writeup in Wikipedia. I suspect they did it to widen the cargo area.

I think one of the knocks against the old multi-leaf springs was that they had a lot of leaf-to-leaf stiction, which should be better in a monoleaf spring.

Anyway, nice Beemers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
      Hi, folks. Long-time Volvo owner but soon to be a new OSD V90 owner. Due to travel restrictions, I was never able to actually drive the car before the purchase, but I drove the Cross Country version and an S90, so I have a general idea of what to expect. Man, that's a slow boat across the Atlantic, but I digress.

Of course, I've read all the magazine reviews, and the subject of "stiff ride" comes up often.

Is the R-Design stiffer than Inscription? The car rags tend to test the RD, so this may factor into their impressions.

Thanks for any response. I look forward to contributing to my new home forum.
      Dyno, is your V90 equipped with Air Suspension? IMO, the air suspension tends to ride much better than the non-air-suspension models. Also, if comparing a V90/S90 w/Air to a V90CC w/Air, the CC is even cushier and softer. I have 20s on my V90CC and live in a state with officially the worst roads, and it glides over everything like a dream. My personal opinion would be the V90 w/air being a tad bit stiffer than the V90CC w/air, and the V90 R-design being a tad bit stiffer than the regular V90s.

In any case, I don't think there will be a point where you will regret your choice of vehicle or suspension, so enjoy your new vehicle!
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

My V90 has the air suspension, which I intend to learn more about.

As you have pointed out, Car and Driver said the V90CC was noticeably smoother than the V90, but I think they were comparing the non-air versions. Perhaps the engineers took advantage of the CC's extra ride height to soften the springs a little.

I had a V70R with the 4C selectable suspension. It was cool at the time, but the novelty eventually wore off and I grew annoyed with the harshness. It crashed off the bump stops if I so much as drove over a twig.

If the new car looks anything like the photos (I've never laid eyes an an actual V90), I'll be in love. I just wish it had a six-banger instead of the 4.
      Last edited by Dyno; 09-08-2020 at 03:09 PM.

My V90 has the air suspension, which I intend to learn more about.

As you have pointed out, Car and Driver said the V90CC was noticeably smoother than the V90, but I think they were comparing the non-air versions. Perhaps the engineers took advantage of the CC's extra ride height to soften the springs a little.

I had a V70R with the 4C selectable suspension. It was cool at the time, but the novelty eventually wore off and I grew annoyed with the harshness. It crashed off the bump stops if I so much as drove over a twig.

If the new car looks anything like the photos (I've never laid eyes an an actual V90), I'll be in love. I just wish it had a six-banger instead of the 4.
      I test drove a 2019 Inscription w/o air suspension and a CC with. IMO, the CC rode smoother. However, I purchased the Inscription because I preferred its driving dynamics, primarily from its lower stance. To each their own.

I echo the above, it rides decent particularly if you replace wheels with 18". Save the 20" for trade in time. I didn't like the thumping over bumps or ridges on paving, 18" much quieter. I also think Volvo could insulate front wheel wells better!
      Current garage ....2017 S90 Inscription, 2018 Mercedes S63 Renntech tune 673 h.p., 2012 Sprinter van, 2018 VW Golf R APR stage 1. I am a car nut from WAAAAY back! Previously 2014 A8 SWB 4.0, 2013 E550, 2012 S550, 2010 E350 wagon, 2008 Audi S8. 39 Buick, 33 Nash coupe, 66 Comet, 67 Fairlane

Our 2018 V90 T6AWD Inscription certainly doesn't float over potholes like a Lincoln, but I find it easy enough to avoid them. No, I don't have the air suspension; I plan to keep this car 10 or 15 years, and the last thing I need is dealing with airbag problems every six months. Also, we have 19" wheels, which I think is the ideal size. There's no reason for 20s other than penis enhancement.

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      Our 2018 V90 T6AWD Inscription certainly doesn't float over potholes like a Lincoln, but I find it easy enough to avoid them. No, I don't have the air suspension; I plan to keep this car 10 or 15 years, and the last thing I need is dealing with airbag problems every six months. Also, we have 19" wheels, which I think is the ideal size. There's no reason for 20s other than penis enhancement.
      Totally agree with everything you said. I too plan to be a long time owner (I typically keep newly purchased vehicles for 12-to-15 years, sometimes more). I have the same car, although it's the 2020 model. Didn't want the added complexity/potential point-of-failure of airbags, either. Overall, I'd say the ride is soft-to-slightly-firm on most surfaces, except for very rough terrain, where the ride can be jarring. I also have 19" wheels, but would have opted for 18", if given the choice. I don't understand the desire behind the low-profile phenomenon. Granted, they can look quite nice in appearance, but result in a hard ride and can be susceptible to side wall blowout. In addition, they can be much more expensive. I guess I'm too old for style-over-substance.

Although I test drove V90's with and without rear air suspension, there were no back-to-back test drives and my suspension memory isn't keen enough to pick up anything other than jarring differences. My V90CC Ocean Race came with 20" wheels and the rear air suspension. I wouldn't change a thing. The ride is very compliant (the dealer claims the most compliant of any of the "90" models). I'd call it controlled with a soft entry into bumps/potholes/etc. No suspension thumping (unlike my CLS). I can't imagine the ride would be any better with 19 or 18-inch wheels and the 20" fill up the wheel openings nicely. The only thing I'd change, if I could: I'd install the inline-6 of the CLS in place of the 4 cylinder. The 4 (I have the Polestar tune) has more than adequate performance and good fuel economy. It just doesn't sound as sweet as the 6.

I have a V90R Design with 20” wheels and without air suspension. I have driven it on the crummy roads in downtown Washington, D.C. as well as on the highway and around town. The car is comfortable and reasonably smooth. In 13K miles, I have never thought that the ride was harsh (like I have on my Suburban).
      Hers: 2019 S60 T5 R-Design FWD | Pebble Gray / Charcoal, Napa Leather | 18” R-Design Wheels | Heated Seats and Steering Wheel | Rubber Floor Mats

His: 2018 V90 T5 R-Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R-Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

‘18 V90 R Design with 20s and air suspension here. I came from a ‘16 V60 Polestar that was way too stiff for my liking. I find the V90 to be very compliant on LA’s crappy roads. I needed one new rim after hitting a pothole last winter. I do try and avoid major road imperfections. I had a new V60 Cross Country as a loaner a few months ago and definitely prefer the sportier ride of my R Design. One other note..my car came with Pirelli P7 Cinturato all season V rated tires, which aren’t pure summer tires that other cars came with.
      '18 V90 T6 R-Design, P* tune, 20s, Euro spec tail lights, full leather seating, B&W, air suspension, HUD
      Past: '16 V60 Polestar, Rebel Blue

Quote Originally Posted by VLD1 View Post
      Although I test drove V90's with and without rear air suspension, there were no back-to-back test drives and my suspension memory isn't keen enough to pick up anything other than jarring differences. My V90CC Ocean Race came with 20" wheels and the rear air suspension. I wouldn't change a thing. The ride is very compliant (the dealer claims the most compliant of any of the "90" models). I'd call it controlled with a soft entry into bumps/potholes/etc. No suspension thumping (unlike my CLS). I can't imagine the ride would be any better with 19 or 18-inch wheels and the 20" fill up the wheel openings nicely. The only thing I'd change, if I could: I'd install the inline-6 of the CLS in place of the 4 cylinder. The 4 (I have the Polestar tune) has more than adequate performance and good fuel economy. It just doesn't sound as sweet as the 6.
      HMMMM Mercedes CLS with a straight six??? NO SUCH ANIMAL!!
      Current garage ....2017 S90 Inscription, 2018 Mercedes S63 Renntech tune 673 h.p., 2012 Sprinter van, 2018 VW Golf R APR stage 1. I am a car nut from WAAAAY back! Previously 2014 A8 SWB 4.0, 2013 E550, 2012 S550, 2010 E350 wagon, 2008 Audi S8. 39 Buick, 33 Nash coupe, 66 Comet, 67 Fairlane

Quote Originally Posted by Sumfuncomet View Post
      HMMMM Mercedes CLS with a straight six??? NO SUCH ANIMAL!!
      The mild hybrid inline 6 available first in some 2019 models to replace the old V6. Available in the CLS and a lot of other mid sized and higher vehicles. Will be MB (and likely AMG’s) go to “big” engine in the future as the V8’s are slowly phased out. It fits in the space of a V6 because there are no front drive belts. AC, etc are all driven off of the 48V system. I test drove an E53 Wagon while car shopping. Really nice engine - great if it turns out to be reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by CedarMtn View Post
      The mild hybrid inline 6 available first in some 2019 models to replace the old V6. Available in the CLS and a lot of other mid sized and higher vehicles. Will be MB (and likely AMG’s) go to “big” engine in the future as the V8’s are slowly phased out. It fits in the space of a V6 because there are no front drive belts. AC, etc are all driven off of the 48V system. I test drove an E53 Wagon while car shopping. Really nice engine - great if it turns out to be reliable.
      You got it. Mine's a 2019 and though I didn't want a 4-door, I did want the engine. (Also comes in the E-coupe but only in the AMG version. I don't need 425 hp.....) Nice performance and a really sweet exhaust sound. In ECO mode I can coast downhill for miles with the engine off and still have power for all the accessories. There's no drop in a/c performance at a stoplight with start/stop functioning. The only engine issue I've found is the charging function. If you're gently braking to a stop and the system decides charging is required, there's a sudden lurch as the drag of the generator kicks in. As for reliability concerns, it's a 3-year lease. And just don't talk about the transmission: 9 speeds and it can't seem to make up its mind, constantly downshifting and upshifting with the slightest throttle movement, or if in cruise control and going up a hill.

I test drove 2018 V90 and V90CC and didn't notice any difference in ride stiffness. But then, I've attended wine tastings and haven't detected the subtle differences that the host tells us do indeed exist.

I wound up buying a CPO V90 Inscription that came equipped with air suspension. I'm not aware that it affects ride stiffness. It's my understanding that on hard starts, stops and cornering, it controls dipping and leaning, and keeps the frame relatively level at all times.
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by rdr854 View Post
      I have a V90R Design with 20” wheels and without air suspension. I have driven it on the crummy roads in downtown Washington, D.C. as well as on the highway and around town. The car is comfortable and reasonably smooth. In 13K miles, I have never thought that the ride was harsh (like I have on my Suburban).
      I absolutely love my 2020 V90 Inscription. However, while the ride is smooth, it's not Lexus smooth, which is fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmatt View Post
      Our V90CC has the air suspension and 19-in wheels and is fantastic for ride quality. Recently had a base V60CC loaner and was surprised at how unsettled the suspension was compared to our V90CC.
      I second this comment, including the opinion on a V60CC (I also got as a loaner)
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

Quote Originally Posted by bogus7430 View Post
      Air suspension is amazing. I have the v90 CC on 21inch wheels and just back from a 1500 mile trip to Scotland from Kent. Absolutely loved the car and the way it handled. Road noise was minimal or non existent as I think Volvo puts foam in their tyres. I am planning to swap to Contis with ContiSilent for better grip and handling from the Pzeros that I have now.
      My 20 Inch came with Pirelli P Zero from the factory. This has a foam insert in it. I've see it during a tyre repair and it's a medium density foam, nothing special, but some reports a few dB noise reduction in around the 200Hz noise frequency.
      There have been reports / reviews the Michelin Pilot Sport PS4 as a quieter tyre than the Pirelli. The Michelin also outperforms the Pirelli in nearly every regard.
      So Michelin will be my replacement, now toying with the idea of adding my own foam for better acoustics.

I absolutely love the PS4s but they don't seem to come in the tyre size recommended by Volvo for the 21inch wheels. Have not yet researched if I could independently insert a foam piece. Also I read on one of these forums that we might be able to re use the existing foam.
      Failing all these options, I have the Contis as back up as they have been very highly rated and come with a 'silent' option.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Ours is also a V90 T6AWD with 19 inch wheels, 18's for winter. I find no harshness in the ride quality at all - it is somewhat softer overall than my Jaguar XF R-Sport. It's handling isn't a sharp as the Jag, but the V90 has a much different mission. We don't have air suspension - I don't see the need either, and plan to keep the car 10-15 years.

30. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements