2010 xc60 noise with deceleration
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2010 xc60 noise with deceleration

I posted this earlier in wrong section. So here it is again.

I have a 2010 XC60 with 135K that my daughter drives. We have recently heard a terrible noise when letting off the gas pedal. I have driven it and noise seems to start when car begins decelerating. If I put any pressure on the gas pedal, it stops. When holding steady down the highway, no issues, but the minute I let off the noise rears its head.
      I have even put it in Neutral driving down interstate and noise continues as it slows down.

I have been reading this thread, https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...highlight=roar, and sounds almost identical. I tried resurrecting the thread to see if there was any conclusion but have not had any success getting info.

Anyone else have helpful information? I hate to put $4000 into this car if it needs a new transmission, and I am not mechanical so I fall for whatever the shop says...

Thanks for your help. BTW, I am in Oklahoma city area if anyone has suggestions on where to take it around here.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Could it be a failing alternator or power steering pulley? I believe that both are over-run pulleys. so if the over-run mech fails what you could be hearing is alternator or power steering pump fighting / struggling to slow down at same rate as belt demands.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70
      2010 V70 3.2 125,000miles
      2002 V70XC, 175,000 miles
      2004 S60 2.5T, 160,000 miles

Wanted to add that the non-volvo mechanic I have looking at it can not reproduce the noise when vehicle is in the air. It has to be on the ground, loaded, to hear the noise. He described it as a "jack brake" type noise.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I also bought my daughter a 2010 XC60 to drive that has just a few less miles than yours. Great minds...

I'd be interested to know what you end up finding as the cause. You need my independent Volvo mechanic...

Heard a couple of A/C compressors do this, especially on the SI6 motor, but that would just be related to engine load, not suspension load.

Without being able to hear it... it could be anything.

Bad wheel bearing maybe, also make sure the fender liner isn't rubbing the wheel.
      '04 XC70 | Silver Metallic/Nordkap 220K | Shimmed B5254T2 | K24 | M66 w/ SPEC single mass | EST Sport catback | Elevate sways | BC Coilovers | Hilton Stage 3 Tune
      '13 C30 T5M | Black Stone/Black | 135K | Stock

Past - 09 S40 2.4I, 04 S60R M66
      Instagram - @boostedxc

Quote Originally Posted by LukeFlynn View Post
      Heard a couple of A/C compressors do this, especially on the SI6 motor, but that would just be related to engine load, not suspension load.

Without being able to hear it... it could be anything.

Bad wheel bearing maybe, also make sure the fender liner isn't rubbing the wheel.
      Had the wheel hubs changed last week. they needed it and help a different noise, but not this one. Another forum reader suggested motor mount issue. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by bigtimemcalpine View Post
      Could it be a failing alternator or power steering pulley? I believe that both are over-run pulleys. so if the over-run mech fails what you could be hearing is alternator or power steering pump fighting / struggling to slow down at same rate as belt demands.

I don't think it would be the alternator then, in this case. The alternator on the SI6 engine, isn't belt driven, it is shaft driven. In this case it could be the power steering pump then. Usually, when the alternator goes to, there is a message that shows up saying "charge issue". Correct if I'm wrong about the alternator not being belt driven.

Just rethought that - don’t think it would be ps pump. I over run pulley there.

2010 V70 3.2 125,000miles
      2002 V70XC, 175,000 miles
      2004 S60 2.5T, 160,000 miles

Thanks everyone. Still haven't pinpointed the noise but I appreciate the suggestions.

If you can, please post a vid of the sound. Does it happen at low speeds (say, 20mph-0mph) or just at highway cruising speed? All gears?

Both the belt drive items (water pump, power steering, and a/c) and the direct drive alternator have overrun clutches. The cog cuff alternator "gear" is a one way clutch as is the belt drive pulley below a/c compressor. The drive pulley clutch for belt can be checked easily. If you grab one of the pulleys or the belt and attempt to move it both ways it should only allow movement one way and not the other. It will have some effort moving it in the direction that it does move but if that motion feels like you are grinding rocks then the drive pulley is bad. If it is immovable in both directions but with a little slop when you change directions that also means the drive pulley is bad. The alternator can be tested w/o removal but it is risky. The case of alternator allows you to put a slim screwdriver through and move the rotor but you can't harm wires in the process. The rotor of alternator would have the same testing as the belt drive did, i.e., move one way but not the other and when it moves it's smooth.
      2004 V70R GT 255K miles purchased 9/15/12. Had several R company cars in the past and had to have one of my own.
      OBX DP but I've only just begun.............
      2010 XC60 T6 RD
      Several farm trucks, tractors, trailers, and a Suzuki Carry Kei truck.

Wanted to give an update...Noise is gone. After a couple weeks of looking at transmission, belts, hubs, etc, my mechanics 81y/o dad stopped by his shop and while there he asked his son if he was changing the broken motor mounts he saw with the hood open. My guy had never noticed and found three of them were broken. He put new ones in and no more noise! Sometimes we miss the forest for the trees.

Just had a similar experience. Car was making noise while accelerating and usually on a hill. They replaced something under the hood which is where we thought it was coming from. No dice. Took it back and they checked axles, transmission and a few other things with no luck.

Finally they took an industrial fan and blew it under the car. Piece of trim/protective plating in front of the drivers rear wheel was chewed up and flapping making the noise.

Glad you had another set of eyes to look at it and solve your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2014 XC60
      2011 XC70

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements