PSA: 2021 Model Configuration has been published on Volvo USA
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Interestingly, Blonde R-Design Seat Option isn't listed for the S90, but is for the V90 and XC90. Black Full Nappa/Black Nappa & Alcantara are the only options for the S90 R-Design. Hope this was a screw-up as Volvo seems to typically do the first few days the build site for new model years go live.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MJEWETT View Post

Interestingly, Blonde R-Design Seat Option isn't listed for the S90, but is for the V90 and XC90. Black Full Nappa/Black Nappa & Alcantara are the only options for the S90 R-Design. Hope this was a screw-up as Volvo seems to typically do the first few days the build site for new model years go live.
      Interesting.. the luxury package is now the Lounge Package on the V90CC.

I see they're still offering the same boring colors grrrrrr. Why can't I have a flaming red V90CC!!
      2006 XC70 76k - Ruby Red/Graphite - "Wichita" | 2011 Tacoma 14k - Green/Sand - "Timber"
      2007 XC70 65k - Black Stone/Graphite - "Springfield" | 2017 Miata RF GT 7k - Grey/Black
      2020 V90CC 1.9K - Osmium Gray/Maroon Brown - "Storm" | 2019 Honda Pilot 49K - Black/Black - "Toaster" - OpenPilot Development Guinea Pig
      Previous: 2013 XC70 | 2005 XC70 | 2005 V70 | 2007 XC70 | 2006 V70R | 1990 740 | 2019 XC90 | 2018 V90CC

Quote Originally Posted by skywolf View Post
      Interesting.. the luxury package is now the Lounge Package on the V90CC.

I see they're still offering the same boring colors grrrrrr. Why can't I have a flaming red V90CC!!
      What happened to the interesting bright colors on the RD?? No replacement for Bursting Blue and Passion? Bleh.
      But also finally blonde leather available in R-Design! (Lol)

Edit: y’all get so much more configurability in all models it’s not even funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by SilverStreak177; 09-09-2020 at 09:13 AM.
      2004 V70 T5M - “Ruby” - Ruby Red Metallic/Lt. Taupe Sport/Sirius wheels/330k mi

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I hope they sell well enough to keep availability. Canada dropped the V90 and V90CC as of the 2020 model year. Only importing the V60 and V60CC's.

Quote Originally Posted by CedarMtn View Post
      I hope they sell well enough to keep availability. Canada dropped the V90 and V90CC as of the 2020 model year. Only importing the V60 and V60CC's.
      That’s surprising. Would think they would just be available across NA.

2018 Volvo V90 R Design T5 P*(Bursting Blue)
      2018 Tesla Model 3 (Midnight Silver Metallic)
      2014 Honda Odyssey Elite (Family Hauler)

Quote Originally Posted by walt2810 View Post
      That’s surprising. Would think they would just be available across NA.

Only the CC was available for 2019, V90 got dropped as of MY18

Volvo is probably the only car manufacturer which lowers the prices of its cars year over year. When you put a 2021 Base Momentum with Advanced Package and protection package together, the car costs 56k. The MSRP of my 2019 T5 with advanced Package is also 56k BUT mine is a T5 and FWD and all the new S90s are T6 and AWD. That means the price of the 2021 is about 15% lower than the price of the 2019 model. I tried to see what other add ons I had in my 2019 which are not included in 2021 and couldn't find any. So it is pretty accurate apples to apples comparison

Noticed that some of the a la carts options - like the booster rear seats require a selection of an additional package.

2018 Volvo V90 R Design T5 P*(Bursting Blue)
      2018 Tesla Model 3 (Midnight Silver Metallic)
      2014 Honda Odyssey Elite (Family Hauler)

I wonder if those gorgeous new taillights will drop into earlier models.

I could totally see myself buying a pair.

My guess is they won’t, as it looks like a switch to more LEDs. That will likely require new wiring.

My V90 is getting new headlights due to poorly lit low beams. The 2020 cars got a new headlight that isn’t plug and play with my ‘18, so I’ll assume the same with the tail lights.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      I wonder if those gorgeous new taillights will drop into earlier models.

I could totally see myself buying a pair.
      '18 V90 T6 R-Design, P* tune, 20s, Euro spec tail lights, full leather seating, B&W, air suspension, HUD
      Past: '16 V60 Polestar, Rebel Blue

Quote Originally Posted by PJPHughes View Post
      My guess is they won’t, as it looks like a switch to more LEDs. That will likely require new wiring.

My V90 is getting new headlights due to poorly lit low beams. The 2020 cars got a new headlight that isn’t plug and play with my ‘18, so I’ll assume the same with the tail lights.
      They may not be 100% drop in, but it might be possible to modify or adapt them to work.

I think it depends on where the logic is located for the "animated" taillights. If it is in the taillight module itself, all we'd need to do is find a way to trick the bulb out indicator.

if it is located elsewhere in the car, that would be a completely different matter.

They physically drop in, yes.

But you'll need new wiring both for the outer lenses and for the trunk/hatch. The new lenses shift the reverse lights to the outer housings, instead of the hatch housings, and they carry the turn signal across both.

I haven't logged on to VIDA to see if the new 2021 wiring diagrams are up yet to see just how much is required.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      They physically drop in, yes.

But you'll need new wiring both for the outer lenses and for the trunk/hatch. The new lenses shift the reverse lights to the outer housings, instead of the hatch housings, and they carry the turn signal across both.

I haven't logged on to VIDA to see if the new 2021 wiring diagrams are up yet to see just how much is required.
      Physical fit confirmation is good news!

As long as they are electrically compatible and don't require some external logic, I have no problem making my own wiring harnesses.

Might have to order the factory harness parts as well in order to harvest the connectors...

Physical fit confirmation is good news!

As long as they are electrically compatible and don't require some external logic, I have no problem making my own wiring harnesses.

Might have to order the factory harness parts as well in order to harvest the connectors...
      The other question is how will the turn signals work in the US. I suspect they will not light up sequentially outward like they will in other markets. They'll probably just be a full on, full off, flash. If that's the case, it might actually be a good thing for retrofitting.

The other question is how will the turn signals work in the US. I suspect they will not light up sequentially outward like they will in other markets. They'll probably just be a full on, full off, flash. If that's the case, it might actually be a good thing for retrofitting.
      Why wouldn't they be? I don't think there is anyhting regulatory preventing that. Didn't recent Mustangs come with a configuration like that?

https://jalopnik.com/we-can-t-get-th...gov-1729310906

So per the above they are not per se illegal, it is in how you implement them.

Why wouldn't they be? I don't think there is anyhting regulatory preventing that. Didn't recent Mustangs come with a configuration like that?
      The link 2018V90CC posted pretty much sums it up.

Basically, it's that the initial light must be of a certain size. That's how the Mustang got around it. But you'll notice that Audi, Lexus, etc., have for many for many of their models, implemented a "double" indicator. It has the sequential slim indicator (in red), but initiates a large single bulb (sometimes also the brake light) at the same time.

My hope, is that rather than do something god awful like that, that Volvo just retain the slim amber indicator and have it all illuminate at once. I'd forgo the cool factor of sequential, to retain having a slim amber indicator.

What bothers me is that they went to all red in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStreak177 View Post
      But also finally blonde leather available in R-Design! (Lol)
      I think the blonde RD seats are better than the charcoal.

Attachment 68393

Last edited by 2005_V70R; 09-22-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2005_V70R View Post
      I think the blonde RD seats are better than the charcoal.

Attachment 68393
      I do too, 100%. No sarcasm.
      I said lol because it’s an unnecessary trade off - why can’t we get blonde seats with Bursting Blue?
      (or introduce a new exciting halo color for the RD range instead of just cutting all of the interesting ones out of the lineup)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStreak177 View Post
      I do too, 100%. No sarcasm.
      I said lol because it’s an unnecessary trade off - why can’t we get blonde seats with Bursting Blue?
      (or introduce a new exciting halo color for the RD range instead of just cutting all of the interesting ones out of the lineup)
      I guess I’m not into that color as it’s too showy. I love Denim blue. Did you see the XC90 RD also gets blacked out trim too. Looks great. The RD models should never have had chrome.

I guess I’m not into that color as it’s too showy. I love Denim blue. Did you see the XC90 RD also gets blacked out trim too. Looks great. The RD models should never have had chrome.
      I agree, denim is very nice. Personally, I’d like it on an Inscription, but also works very well on RD.
      Chrome on them always seemed kind of out of place.

No Bursting Blue or carbon fiber trim option on the V90 R-Design?
      Last edited by PJPHughes; 09-22-2020 at 11:27 PM.
      '18 V90 T6 R-Design, P* tune, 20s, Euro spec tail lights, full leather seating, B&W, air suspension, HUD
      Past: '16 V60 Polestar, Rebel Blue

Quote Originally Posted by PJPHughes View Post
      No Bursting Blue or carbon fiber trim option on the V90 R-Design?
      My reaction too

XC90 RD goodness.

The link 2018V90CC posted pretty much sums it up.

Basically, it's that the initial light must be of a certain size. That's how the Mustang got around it. But you'll notice that Audi, Lexus, etc., have for many for many of their models, implemented a "double" indicator. It has the sequential slim indicator (in red), but initiates a large single bulb (sometimes also the brake light) at the same time.

My hope, is that rather than do something god awful like that, that Volvo just retain the slim amber indicator and have it all illuminate at once. I'd forgo the cool factor of sequential, to retain having a slim amber indicator.
      Interesting.

So the regulations require that at any time a segment of 2,200 mm2 be lit up.

That's the area of a square with 1.85" sides.

This doesn't seem like an insurmountable design obstacle.

Let's say the turning indicator strip is 0.25" wide. This might be a bit challenging, because then a 13.5" long portion must be lit up at least for a portion of the flashing cycle.

The width of the taillight (trunk and fender side combined) is 18".

So, needing 13.5 of 18" (~75%) be lit up, that doesn't leave a lot of inactive space for the movement.

This can be worked around though. Either make the strip uniformly wider, or widen it at the edges, and have the light bar move outwards from a narrow line to a wider illuminated area at the edge.

The limiting factor here is probably that they have already designed a taillight for the rest of the world, and they are unlikely to want to spend a ton ofoney developing a new one for just the U.S. market.

Anyway, I don't need animation in my turning indicators. I'd be just as happy with an amber line. I just think the pre-facelift implementation with a basic red bulb lightup is pretty ugly and incongruent with the rest of the appearance of the car.
      Last edited by mattlach; 09-23-2020 at 12:31 PM.

Do we know when the 2021's are going to pop up in showrooms?

I'd be interested in stopping by to look at what they decided on for a solution for the lights.

It's funny to me that there is. 700+ page lighting regulation and we still don't get to have animated turn signals and adaptive headlights.

Usually the EU is the one that is criticized for this type of bureaucracy...

Usually the EU is the one that is criticized for this type of bureaucracy...
      Agree but when it comes to automotive lighting, DOT is a complete joke. Antiquated rules and no justification for them. I recall headlights requiring a certain amount of bleed upward per DOT. Complete insanity. Back in the early 2000’s I had a Jetta VR6 and ordered European E-code headlights for it. The difference was completely out of this world. The US DOT spec light was basically useless, using a pathetic 9004 bulb. Output was dangerously bad. Upgrading to E-codes I ended up with an incredible beam pattern and tons of output from the far superior H4 bulb. DOT’s lighting rules are a joke.

I recall headlights requiring a certain amount of bleed upward per DOT.
      I recall this too, when finding out my Subaru projector lamps had some sort of cutout in the shield specifically to reflect light upwards, apparently people call that the "squirrel finder" the intention of it is to illuminate overhead road signs. DOT lighting regs are the worst yeah, but there is a basis for that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      I recall this too, when finding out my Subaru projector lamps had some sort of cutout in the shield specifically to reflect light upwards, apparently people call that the "squirrel finder" the intention of it is to illuminate overhead road signs. DOT lighting regs are the worst yeah, but there is a basis for that one!
      I don’t know if y’all have driven euro spec cars or not, but here’s my experience.
      Last summer on my trip from the Netherlands to Sweden, I drove a V90 rental (with only 25 miles on the clock at the start!! They had just picked it up from the dealer a day or two ago, and I was the first customer in it.)
      Every single road sign, including the overhead ones, were illuminated as if it was daytime, and I’m not talking about the street lamps’ light.
      I find that NA cars just have a fuzzier “end” to the light, whereas euro spec cars have longer but precise range so you can see so far ahead (even with only low beams on) so that even though they have a sharper “end” to their light pattern, the actual distance at which you’re seeing in front of you is much larger.

33. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements