SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

[VIDEO] Squeak from the engine bay when turning off

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Carlos de Anda 
#1 · (Edited)
SOLVED [MEDIA=youtube]T-4R8Rrysg0[/MEDIA]

Thanks and drive safe!

EDIT: 17/OCT/2020
It ended up being the water pump. Apparently the one they replaced last year was defective and was squeaking from some seal/bushing inside. They replaced it under warranty and the noise is gone! I'm attaching a pic of where the noise was coming from inside the WP.
[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/C2m9f0r/s60waterpump.png[/IMG]

See less See more
1 1
#3 ·
It seems odd that something would be squeaking during engine shutdown, and quiet during engine operation. At this point in time, my best guess is that some part of the engine control system is changing position during shutdown, and making a noise. Possibly a valve that is opening/closing. I have heard rubber belts squeal when the engine is started, but not when the engine is shut down.

#4 ·
I also suspect some kind of valve closing after shutting down the engine, somewhere around the transmission and angle gear . I saw a similar issue on a BMW forum but it was on the rear of that car related to the exhaust valves.

The only time it doesn't do it is when the engine is cold. Once it has been running for more than a couple of minutes it will do it.

Yesterday I spend all morning trying to find the source with no success, so I'll have to send it to the dealer and see what they say. So far no failure codes or engine/transmission problems. I'll update the post once I have a diagnostic $$$

#5 ·
There is one more possible source of the noise that I can imagine. The alternator has a device called an "overun clutch" which allows the rotor to continue to turn as the engine rpm decreases. I believe the purpose of this device is to allow the engine to quickly reduce rpm, and thereby use less fuel. So, as a result, this clutch is operating when the engine is shut down. But I have never heard this clutch make any noise on my 2005 S60, 2.5T. My alternator was overhauled at 110K, and the clutch was replaced at that time. The car now has 125K miles.

#8 ·
When my oil trap started to go bad it made a very similar sound, and even though its located up top and towards the back of the 3.0 I6 motor it was very hard at first to pin down exactly where it was coming from. If your car is a 2011 and its still on the original oil trap I would suspect that as the culprit. Good luck!

#9 ·
Problem solved. It was the water pump. Thankfully they replaced it under warranty and the noise is gone.

On the other hand, a week later, I added some fuel system/injector cleaner in the tank and ended up with a fuel leak from one of the injectors (seems like the additive cleaned the dirt that was sealing what the old o-rings could not). Got the injectors cleaned and resealed (also the injector pipe) and the leak is gone. Now I'm getting a slightly better fuel consumption (around +1km/l on average)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.