Road Feel through steering wheel
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 23 of 23
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2020
      Posts
      30

      Road Feel through steering wheel

      All - I'd like to get some sort of unofficial poll going.

      How many of you feel like you have some excessive vibrations coming through the steering wheel?

      After a couple thousand miles and the following things done or observed, I'm convinced it's a "volvo thing":

      a) Dealer swapped over another set of road-force-balanced takeoffs and no difference was made
      b) front rotors were replaced due to brake shudder
      c) dynamic mode (on air suspension) seems to make it seem less prominent but still there regardless
      d) both XC60 loaners (one with <300miles) exhibited the same steering wheel vibration

      I don't know if my calibration is off, or it's the way these Volvos are engineered, but it can seem a bit unsettling when accelerating into highway speeds. It almost makes the car feel unstable as the steering wheel vibrates. After the end of a 30+min highway run, your hands feel a bit weird having been subject to the constant vibration.

      I really like this car in a lot of ways, but this doesn't seem right for any mass produced car, let alone one in its category. Even my lowly GTI with thinner sidewalls doesn't have this sort of "road feel".


      I'd like to get more thoughts from the group here.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member WunderWagen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      San Jose
      Posts
      492
      Surprised to hear this as I have the opposite. On my XC90 the wheels need re-balanced as the whole car shakes at around 75mph but nothing through the steering wheel.

      As a matter of fact, since we have fully electric steering with computer controlled steering input (servo controlled) I would be shocked that the steering wheel even has the ability to send road feedback like a car with a traditional steering rack.
      2018 Volvo XC-90 R-Design package, Bursting Blue Metallic - grocery hauler and daily driver
      2016 Porsche GT4, Sapphire Blue Metallic - weekend and track toy

    4. #3
      Junior Member lflorack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2020
      Location
      Western NY
      Posts
      55
      In many ways, the steering wheel 'feel' of my V60CC is lighter and more isolated than any car I've previously owned - or even driven. There is very little road feedback and no vibration felt in the wheel at any time. Largely, that's a positive thing.
      2020 V60 Cross Country T5 - Birch Light Metallic/Charcoal
      Advanced Package |Cross Country Pro Package
      Heated Steering Wheel/Rear Seat Package
      | Bowers & Wilkins

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Member satrya's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Location
      Fremont, north california
      Posts
      1,190
      Quote Originally Posted by Jaaa View Post
      How many of you feel like you have some excessive vibrations coming through the steering wheel?
      Not from mine, nor the few days from loaners (SPA xc90 & SPA v60).
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

    7. #5
      Junior Member Catfiend's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2019
      Location
      Olympic Peninsula
      Posts
      423
      Nope, not from my XC60. I agree with @WunderWagen that since, at least to the best of my knowledge there's no physical connection between the steering wheel and the tires, it's hard to see where that vibration would come from. If it were just one car I'd wonder about some sort of electronic feedback error, but I can't see that happening to three different cars.
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription Ice White/blonde
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blonde (sold)

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2020
      Posts
      30
      Very very interesting responses thus far folks. For sure road feel is a mischaracterization.

      I'm more and more convinced that i'll have another dealer take a look into this. It seems like it must be some sort of mechanical connection that's leading to this but what's confusing is that this was also experienced in the 2 other loaner XC60 as well.

    9. #7
      Junior Member Catfiend's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2019
      Location
      Olympic Peninsula
      Posts
      423
      Note that there are times when you'll get 'odd' feedback through the steering wheel, but those are deliberate on Volvo's part. If you get too close to the lines it will push back, for example, or if you try to change lanes when BLIS decides there's something there. If you're using Pilot Assist and it suddenly loses the lines it will shake to tell you it's not handling things at the moment - same if you aren't providing feedback to it that lets it know that you're still paying attention. I seem to recall there are some other cases where it will shake its head but they aren't coming to mind.

      Those, though, don't feel like any sort of normal vibration, they're pretty extreme.
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription Ice White/blonde
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blonde (sold)

    10. #8
      Junior Member Catfiend's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2019
      Location
      Olympic Peninsula
      Posts
      423
      I just checked the manual and you can have the lane keeping aid set to warn you you're approaching the line by shaking the steering wheel with or in place of having it assist you back into the lane. But, as I said, the feel of this is pretty exaggerated so it likely wouldn't be mistaken for simpler feedback.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription Ice White/blonde
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blonde (sold)

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2020
      Posts
      30
      Quote Originally Posted by Catfiend View Post
      I just checked the manual and you can have the lane keeping aid set to warn you you're approaching the line by shaking the steering wheel with or in place of having it assist you back into the lane. But, as I said, the feel of this is pretty exaggerated so it likely wouldn't be mistaken for simpler feedback.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


      Yup - thanks for the clarification. I'm certainly aware of this feature and have it turned off.

    12. #10
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      810
      I don't have enough! :-)

      Seriously: Our XC90 feels very 'planted' at all times, I wouldn't change a thing.
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

      DIY Oil Change:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ange-with-pics

      DIY Brake Pads:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ment-with-pics

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2020
      Posts
      30
      Update: after poking around more on the search, I came across a couple threads by Nerd23 and decided to check my axle bolts this morning.

      With each corner lifts, I found that the front 2 axle bolts were loose. A simple 13mm socket and a 10" wrench and I could tighten them relatively easily! I tightened these down probably amounting to another half turn each (I could've gone more) and bolted the wheels back on.

      Very initial impressions after a short 10-mile highway loop is that it has helped alot. I no longer sensed an unsteadiness to the steering wheel. I'll need more seat time to see if this feeling holds and it's not a placebo effect, but signs are encouraging.

      As an additional note, the rear axle bolts were on tight and wouldn't budge.

    14. #12
      Junior Member Bonzo1948's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2020
      Location
      Austin,TX
      Posts
      10
      I was literally thinking about this this morning. I feel a little vibration and while the wheel itself doesn't "shake" I've wondered if it was my imagination. I thought about taking it by the dealer to make sure the wheels are aligned and tires are balanced, but it's so slight I'm not sure it's worth the effort. I notice it more at 50mp+ and the car only has 350 miles on it, so I'm really hoping it's my imagination or just a Volvo thing. Or it's as simple as checking the axle bolts as described above.

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2019
      Posts
      33
      My XC60 was bought back for this very reason. It’s not normal and my new XC90 is perfect. It’s a known issue on certain SPA vehicles

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      318
      The loose axle bolt issue has to be reported to NHTSA.

      Most likely, the threadlocker used from the factory is defective/weak to hold the bolt from loosening with time given the excessive movements (right and left) in the front and the power of the engine. In the rear, no issues with loose axle bolt given the movements are much much less.

      Also, dealers aren't instructed from Volvo to check the axle bolt torque when the owner report a vibration issue and this is why many owners are still living with their car vibration.


      Some dealers are convinced it's "a characteristic of the vehicle" and some owners believe that unfortunately!


      Volvo SPA Vibartion issue is most likely caused by at least one the following:
      1-Warped rotors due to the low quality pads
      2- Bent wheels
      3- Uneven tire wear or bad tires especially the one with foam inside.
      4- Loose front axle bolts



      You may have all the 4 or you may have only 1. Luckily, they are easy to check.


      Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

    17. #15
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2020
      Posts
      30
      Quote Originally Posted by VOLVOFAN12 View Post
      My XC60 was bought back for this very reason. It’s not normal and my new XC90 is perfect. It’s a known issue on certain SPA vehicles
      Ugh - i can't even imagine how much of a pain that is going to be if I wanted to pursue that ... any pointers? did you work directly with Volvo USA?

    18. #16
      Quote Originally Posted by WunderWagen View Post
      As a matter of fact, since we have fully electric steering with computer controlled steering input (servo controlled) I would be shocked that the steering wheel even has the ability to send road feedback like a car with a traditional steering rack.
      Our electric assist steering is only electric assist. There is still a mechanical connection from the steering wheel, the column, through the electric power assist box, and to the rack. torque sensors sense the minute twist of the steering column as more force is applied, and then uses a an electric motor with a gear mounted on said column to apply assistive torque. if electric motor fails, you still have steering and probably wouldn't even notice a difference at highway speed. to rely on only electrons between the steering wheel and the road wheels would be totally unsafe. we don't even get power folding rear seats because they are less safe

    19. #17
      Junior Member WunderWagen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      San Jose
      Posts
      492
      Are you sure? I thought the newer "Pilot Assist" based steering racks with auto steering capability no longer used physical columns to the steering wheel. For that matter, I know our throttle is all electric... but always wondered about the braking since we can now adjust the effort through various modes.

      Correction, just checked and we do still have a column and rack setup.

      2020-09-15_11-47-47.jpg
      Last edited by WunderWagen; 09-15-2020 at 01:48 PM.
      2018 Volvo XC-90 R-Design package, Bursting Blue Metallic - grocery hauler and daily driver
      2016 Porsche GT4, Sapphire Blue Metallic - weekend and track toy

    20. #18
      Junior Member Steve13's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Location
      Northern Virginia
      Posts
      142
      Absolutely not an issue on my 2017 XC 90. Now have 41K miles on her. Did change tires at 39K to Michelin ties and now smoother and quieter than before with OEM Pirellis
      2017 XC90 T6 Inscription | Osmium Grey | All Options | Polestar

    21. #19
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2016
      Location
      White Plains, NY
      Posts
      25
      Quote Originally Posted by Nerd23 View Post
      The loose axle bolt issue has to be reported to NHTSA.

      Most likely, the threadlocker used from the factory is defective/weak to hold the bolt from loosening with time given the excessive movements (right and left) in the front and the power of the engine. In the rear, no issues with loose axle bolt given the movements are much much less.

      Also, dealers aren't instructed from Volvo to check the axle bolt torque when the owner report a vibration issue and this is why many owners are still living with their car vibration.


      Some dealers are convinced it's "a characteristic of the vehicle" and some owners believe that unfortunately!


      Volvo SPA Vibartion issue is most likely caused by at least one the following:
      1-Warped rotors due to the low quality pads
      2- Bent wheels
      3- Uneven tire wear or bad tires especially the one with foam inside.
      4- Loose front axle bolts



      You may have all the 4 or you may have only 1. Luckily, they are easy to check.


      Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
      Hmmm, so all this is very interesting.

      I have a 2019 S60 T6 Inscription with 19" wheels. In late February, I hit a pothole on a one-lane road - couldn't avoid it. I ended up having a cracked wheel, but luckily, knowing the roads in NY and NJ, I bought wheel and tire. My wheel was replaced, but my tire wasn't since it was okay. I didn't have the car for approximately 10 days because the wheel was out of stock. I had the car back for a few days, and on March 5, I went to Florida for my mom's birthday...and I have been here ever since - long story.

      So my car sat for 3 months until I got my parents a V60CC that had to be shipped from CT, so my car came down with it. Obviously, I didn't drive it much once I got it back before I left, but then I was noticing some shudder in the steering wheel, mostly when braking. I brought it in for service here, and they said my rotors were warped and replaced them.

      The car was fine, and now, about a month or so later, I'm noticing some shudder in the steering wheel/under my seat, almost like it's coming from the right front wheel/tire.

      It looks like since I got a new wheel and now have new rotors, it would either be 3 or 4?
      Current Volvos:
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription: Birch with amber, 19" wheels, heated steering wheel and rear seats, park assist
      Parents' car: 2020 V60CC White with amber and CC Pro. (I get to drive it sometimes, too, when I'm at their house!)

      Past Volvos: 2017 S60 T5 AWD Inscription: white with charcoal, heated seats, and BLIS; parents' 1987 Gold Volvo 240DL wagon.

    22. #20
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Posts
      95
      Could these vibrations be from engine around specific RPM ?

      Simple and quick test: with the car in park and stop/start disabled, open slightly the driver's door just so is not closed, and then slowly and gradually rev up the engine up to around 3000 RPM. Do you see vibrations especially in the door frame and very subtle in steering, around specific RPM ranges?
      2018 V90 CC T6 Polestar (Pine Grey Metallic)

    23. #21
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2016
      Location
      White Plains, NY
      Posts
      25
      I can see when I drive the car later. I've noticed it doing 30-45 MPH on local roads as well as on the highway.
      Current Volvos:
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription: Birch with amber, 19" wheels, heated steering wheel and rear seats, park assist
      Parents' car: 2020 V60CC White with amber and CC Pro. (I get to drive it sometimes, too, when I'm at their house!)

      Past Volvos: 2017 S60 T5 AWD Inscription: white with charcoal, heated seats, and BLIS; parents' 1987 Gold Volvo 240DL wagon.

    24. #22
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2016
      Location
      White Plains, NY
      Posts
      25
      Quote Originally Posted by brabbit View Post
      Could these vibrations be from engine around specific RPM ?

      Simple and quick test: with the car in park and stop/start disabled, open slightly the driver's door just so is not closed, and then slowly and gradually rev up the engine up to around 3000 RPM. Do you see vibrations especially in the door frame and very subtle in steering, around specific RPM ranges?
      No vibrations when I did that. But I'm feeling it more when I drive, even at 35-40 mph.
      Current Volvos:
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription: Birch with amber, 19" wheels, heated steering wheel and rear seats, park assist
      Parents' car: 2020 V60CC White with amber and CC Pro. (I get to drive it sometimes, too, when I'm at their house!)

      Past Volvos: 2017 S60 T5 AWD Inscription: white with charcoal, heated seats, and BLIS; parents' 1987 Gold Volvo 240DL wagon.

    25. #23
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      318
      Quote Originally Posted by ashleigh919 View Post
      Hmmm, so all this is very interesting.

      I have a 2019 S60 T6 Inscription with 19" wheels. In late February, I hit a pothole on a one-lane road - couldn't avoid it. I ended up having a cracked wheel, but luckily, knowing the roads in NY and NJ, I bought wheel and tire. My wheel was replaced, but my tire wasn't since it was okay. I didn't have the car for approximately 10 days because the wheel was out of stock. I had the car back for a few days, and on March 5, I went to Florida for my mom's birthday...and I have been here ever since - long story.

      So my car sat for 3 months until I got my parents a V60CC that had to be shipped from CT, so my car came down with it. Obviously, I didn't drive it much once I got it back before I left, but then I was noticing some shudder in the steering wheel, mostly when braking. I brought it in for service here, and they said my rotors were warped and replaced them.

      The car was fine, and now, about a month or so later, I'm noticing some shudder in the steering wheel/under my seat, almost like it's coming from the right front wheel/tire.

      It looks like since I got a new wheel and now have new rotors, it would either be 3 or 4?
      Well, it's possible either 3 or 4. It might be both as well.

      Anyway, from my experience with 3 and 4, here are the symptoms:

      3- Tire issues: out of round tire will absolutely cause some vibration or shudder at low speed and high speed similar to what bent wheel does (at a constant interval and acceleration doesn't affect it heavily).


      4- Loose axle bolt: If you hit the gas gently and coast and the vibration/shudder change its intensity, it very likely you have a play in front axles as a result of a loose axle bolts or damaged axles. Since your car is new, it's absolutely a loose axle bolt no doubt. Anyway, it will take you only 3 minutes to check this one. You will only need to take off the wheel caps, and with 13mm hex you will check the bolt tighteness. If it was loose, visit the dealer and let them fix it and ensure the use threadlocker.


      https://youtu.be/6gUaY-G4iYo


      Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

    26. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 29
      Last Post: 06-10-2016, 11:01 AM
    2. Replies: 5
      Last Post: 12-20-2011, 04:40 PM
    3. Brake Pedal Travel and Feel; Acceleration and Steering Pedal Feel
      By geokilla in forum S70, V70 & V70XC (1998-2000)
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 03-08-2011, 11:00 AM
    4. feel the road through gas pedal
      By CarterStClair in forum S60 (2001-2010)
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 02-22-2005, 06:35 AM
    5. steering wheel and pedal feel of the R?
      By volvos60Risawesome in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 08-02-2003, 01:01 AM