Likely purchase of 2017 - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by leftoverture View Post
      I like to avoid China not because of quality but because their human rights violations are enormous. I believe my Dynamic model was built in Bulgaria or some place like that.
      Wow, really? I had no idea they were making them there. Is there a country code in the VIN or something that indicates exactly where it was assembled?
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by thejas View Post
      I want to thank you all for your responses. Does anyone know which specific models are assembled where? I'd prefer avoiding china. Also for the record, awd is required for us. How's the older t5 turbo motor (5 cylinder) as far as reliability?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
      If I were you I would get a T6 model with AWD. It's the top of the line S60 with a chain. No timing belt to ever worry about.
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      Wow, really? I had no idea they were making them there. Is there a country code in the VIN or something that indicates exactly where it was assembled?
      The 1st character of the VIN is the country code:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicl...fier_%28WMI%29
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, Seashell/black, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch and wiring
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, ours; 7? 245DL & '6? 145DL, hers; '68 122S Wagon, his.
      Non-Volvos previously owned: waaay too many to list here. WWRBGD

Please *VOTE*

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I have never owned a T5 (5 cylinder) personally. My father has owned a few 5 cylinders of the P2 plaftorm. I think mechanically the 5 cylinder is reasonably reliable as long as you:

1. Replace serp. belt tensioner on any 2012 model immediately for the updated design.

2. Replace the belt and tensioner (on any model year) at regular service intervals. I believe the standard service interval is around 100k miles, but I would do it sooner (50-70k miles) because the risk is just too great. If the serp. belt goes there is a good chance it will suck into the timing belt (poor design) and valves will meet pistons.

3. Replace timing belt at recommended intervals or sooner for peace of mind.

4. Replace PVC box at regular intervals (70-100k miles?). Just keep in mind it WILL clog or diaphragm will rupture at some point. Know the symptoms and how to check, and replace as needed.

If you know these weak points and add them to the regular basic maintenance, it should last a long time.

Plus 5 cylinders sound awesome.
      Last edited by budleach; 09-16-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by budleach View Post
      I have never owned a T5 (5 cylinder) personally. My father has owned a few 5 cylinders of the P2 plaftorm. I think mechanically the 5 cylinder is reasonably reliable as long as you:

1. Replace serp. belt tensioner on any 2012 model immediately for the updated design.

2. Replace the belt and tensioner (on any model year) at regular service intervals. I believe the standard service interval is around 100k miles, but I would do it sooner (50-70k miles) because the risk is just too great. If the serp. belt goes there is a good chance it will suck into the timing belt (poor design) and valves will meet pistons.

3. Replace timing belt at recommended intervals or sooner for peace of mind.

4. Replace PVC box at regular intervals (70-100k miles?). Just keep in mind it WILL clog or diaphragm will rupture at some point, know the symptoms and how to check, and replace as needed.

If you know these weak points and add them to the regular basic maintenance, it should last a long time.

Plus 5 cylinders sound awesome.
      Thanks for the excellent info. Does the t6 3.0 version have these issues as well? (I realize I'd have to go older to get that motor).

Ye i do agree about the chain deff less trouble but if you want newer car the E-drive engine is not bad at all . A lot of them in Europe / Russia have 200k and up with no issue. Only 2015.5 and few 2016 had the oil issue. Only big plus is the chain Other wise the t6 3.0 does have its own issues leaking water pump gaskets leaking oil pump gaskets and few other small things . What i see only big plus is the chain for sure.
      Own:
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

Thanks for the excellent info. Does the t6 3.0 version have these issues as well? (I realize I'd have to go older to get that motor).

As mentioned, the 3.0 uses a timing chain, so no risk of serp. belt or timing belt failure turning the engine into a boat anchor. The 5 and 6 cylinders were both available (in certain models and trim levels) up to and including 2016. After that it was 2.0 only.

3.0 has same service interval for PCV box, but it is MUCH easier (i.e. cheaper) to access and replace than on the 5 cylinders. 6 cylinders have PCV system on top of cam cover. On 5 cylinders it is located on front of engine block under the intake manifold (oil filter housing) so a lot more parts have to come off to get access.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls90 View Post
      Bulgaria human rights not so much better or any former USSR countries.
      Guys in case you don't know Bulgaria is a member of EU, but there are no car factories (except some trucks and machinery) and there are no Volvo car factories for sure, I don't know where you get your information from. Also www.volvoclub-bg.com has almost 10k subscribers out of 6 million population. Please do your home work before saying things that are not true.

if you want newer car the E-drive engine is not bad at all . A lot of them in Europe / Russia have 200k and up with no issue.
      Where are you getting this statistic?
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 (2.0T Drive-E) FWD (with a new engine)

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      Where are you getting this statistic?
      From watching a lof of youtube ch in Russian and Russian volvo forums. Since weather conditions a lot worse in Russia esp winters and cars holding up good. The only issues Volvos have in Europe/russia is with Diesels. But US doesnt offer them so not relevant.
      Own:
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:

Paul.

From watching a lof of youtube ch in Russian and Russian volvo forums. Since weather conditions a lot worse in Russia esp winters and cars holding up good. The only issues Volvos have in Europe/russia is with Diesels. But US doesnt offer them so not relevant.
      Glad to see they aren't experiencing oil consumption with 200k (miles or kilometers?) on their early Drive-Es, But like you pointed out, 2015.5-2016 Drive-E models here are not as reliable.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 (2.0T Drive-E) FWD (with a new engine)

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      Glad to see they aren't experiencing oil consumption with 200k (miles or kilometers?) on their early Drive-Es, But like you pointed out, 2015.5-2016 Drive-E models here are not as reliable.
      200k in miles about 300k in KM.
      Own:
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:

Paul.

Do the 3.0's have issues with transmissions? If so, did they only ever use one type of transmission for that motor?

Do the 3.0's have issues with transmissions? If so, did they only ever use one type of transmission for that motor?

If you take care of the trans and change oil on time they dont have big issues . Unless its older volvos that used GM trans from chevy or older Ford Engine plus ford trans otherwise they last long time.
      Own:
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:

Paul.

The 3.0 with the 6 speed transmission are known to overheat. An auxiliary trans cooler is a popular mod with that engine.
      2017 V60 P*

I've had four of these cars (3.0T automatic) with a combined 200k miles plus of driving and haven't had an issue with a transmission.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT

Quote Originally Posted by dialexs View Post
      Bulgaria human rights not so much better or any former USSR countries.
      Guys in case you don't know Bulgaria is a member of EU, but there are no car factories (except some trucks and machinery) and there are no Volvo car factories for sure, I don't know where you get your information from. Also www.volvoclub-bg.com has almost 10k subscribers out of 6 million population. Please do your home work before saying things that are not true.
      Sorry. I said Bulgaria above but I meant Belgium. I'm getting older and don't always remember things well....which is why I said "or someplace like that" in my post.
      2017 Volvo S60 Dynamic AWD

Yes, Belgium makes more sense. Most of my Volvo's have been built at the Gent plant.

Gent Belgium is where I believe my 2018 S60 R Design was built from my factory order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Venth View Post
      Here's a good overview of problems associated with this generation of Volvo sans engine and transmission.
      The history books are still being written on the 4 cylinders; the Toyota transmission is shared across lots of brands and have yet see any major issues.

Is this Toyota transmission only in the turbo 4 drive e? What company makes the 6 speed that is attached to the i6 3.0 models?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovedoughnuts View Post
      I have one of those Chinese inscriptions. Not a loaner. I bought it new. The only problem I had was the radiator cap at 30k miles. The car has been fine other than that.
      How many miles currently?

Quote Originally Posted by RYJS60 View Post
      Repairs are costly, It's just piece of mind. I would not purchase a used volvo w/o the extended warranty.
      I'm really really fortunate to have a local shop that specializes in volvo. They are insanely good with swedish and european brands (usually better than volvo themselves as they are all enthusiasts). They are 5 mins from my house and very reasonable on cost. I've heard volvo parts are pricey. Is it still worth getting a warranty given this scenario?

Is this Toyota transmission only in the turbo 4 drive e? What company makes the 6 speed that is attached to the i6 3.0 models?

Yes. The 8 speed is only available on the 4 cylinder drive-e engines.

Aisin, as a subsidiary of Toyota, makes the U88X series transmissions.
      Aisin also makes the 6 speed transmission attached to the i6 and i5 in this generation of Volvos. Unlike the 8 speed, this transmission has no applications in Toyota vehicles.
      2017 V60 P*

I'm really really fortunate to have a local shop that specializes in volvo. They are insanely good with swedish and european brands (usually better than volvo themselves as they are all enthusiasts). They are 5 mins from my house and very reasonable on cost. I've heard volvo parts are pricey. Is it still worth getting a warranty given this scenario?

I'm not a big believer in extended warranties. You're betting against the house and the house always wins - or at least most of the time. Just my opinion but I think you're better off self-insuring, aka, putting that money aside that you'd spend on the extended warranty as a repair fund.

Here is some information on the 6 speed transmission. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC

I'm not a big believer in extended warranties. You're betting against the house and the house always wins - or at least most of the time. Just my opinion but I think you're better off self-insuring, aka, putting that money aside that you'd spend on the extended warranty as a repair fund.

Here is some information on the 6 speed transmission. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC
      I agree. In principle, extended warranties cover the lowest risk portion of the life of the vehicle.
      2017 Volvo S60 Dynamic AWD

I invite you to read thru this thread.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

In principle, you're correct about losing in the extended warranties. But sometimes you win big. And the cost of extended warranties are not going down. The VIP platinum was almost $1,000 more in 2020 than in 2017. Probably partially thanks to us

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Just going to harp on the Inscription models some more. Had another loaner and although it didn't have interior rattles or suspension noises like the last one, it did have some rust and oxidation on the chrome trim, grill, and wiper arms. Another person in front of me had an Inscription model and they were complaining of a spot of rust on the driver's side door frame.

2017 S60 T6 R-Design (His) - do88 FMIC | 2013 XC60 T6 (Hers) - IPD skidplate | 2012 S60 T6 R-Design - mods galore | 2006 XC90 2.5T AWD | 2000 S40 1.9T

Quote Originally Posted by rallyr32 View Post
      Just going to harp on the Inscription models some more. Had another loaner and although it didn't have interior rattles or suspension noises like the last one, it did have some rust and oxidation on the chrome trim, grill, and wiper arms. Another person in front of me had an Inscription model and they were complaining of a spot of rust on the driver's side door frame.

I sincerely appreciate the efforts of you taking a picture and providing real world comments. I'm still searching as I had to set my time for purchasing back a few months. This information is invaluable and you can see just in the market prices how different the inscriptions are (significantly cheaper for similar options). I'm really upset that they moved to China.

By 2017, you are free from the piston ring issue Huge plus. These cars if properly maintained should last a long while. I have a 15.5 S60, and while it's been in the shop numerous times under warranty, my biggest failure was the piston ring problem. $5400 CPO job. Seeing you are out of that range, you might have the usual hiccups, but the car itself should be fine. I'm at 74,000 and happy with my vehicle for most part.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      By 2017, you are free from the piston ring issue Huge plus. These cars if properly maintained should last a long while. I have a 15.5 S60, and while it's been in the shop numerous times under warranty, my biggest failure was the piston ring problem. $5400 CPO job. Seeing you are out of that range, you might have the usual hiccups, but the car itself should be fine. I'm at 74,000 and happy with my vehicle for most part.
      Did they ever find out why specifically they had ring issues? Was it the cylinder bore or the rings themselves out of spec?

It was the ring design that was used in the earlier engines - there's a really good youtube video out there.

It was the ring design that was used in the earlier engines - there's a really good youtube video out there.
      So they had made it to spec, it was just designed badly?

So they had made it to spec, it was just designed badly?

Yes, it was a poor design. If you can find the video it will be readily apparent what the issue was - the narrator does a good job explaining it.

My 2017 T5

I just rolled my first 5,000 miles on my new to me T5 Dynamic. I now have 29,000 miles, and I love this car. I am coming out of a Mercedes W211, and this car far exceeds that in every way. I drive 25,000 mile/year, and I am confident this car will hold up better than the last car.

No issue with chrome or rust on my S60 2017 inscription. If there is rust its warranty repair free from volvo since USA law forcing manufactures go give at list 8 years for rust with unlimited mileage. If car rusted before that Manufacture must fix it. How ever if the car had an accident and wasn't fixed right and that's why rust came on that different story and and most of the time rust appear because of poor body work.
      Own:
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:

Paul.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast