Warped rotors?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Warped rotors?

Question Warped rotors?

I did a little reading here on the forum and it looks like it isn't uncommon to have rotor warping at low mileage on these newer Volvos. I've got an S60 T6 Polestar, 8400 miles, and I'm getting fairly substantial vibration now under moderate braking above 40 MPH. Is this pretty common? Bought the car in August of last year and I'm worried I'm going to be just over the 1 year "adjustment" period for the warranty. I'm definitely not interested in shelling out the cash for new rotors on this lease.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Happened to me at 18k miles 6 moths in to the ownership. Dealership replaced rotors under warranty.
      2020 V60 CC 1 of 4 Crystal white with Amber interior and the only 1 with parking assist.

Take it in, it's such a common issue they should cover it.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      Take it in, it's such a common issue they should cover it.
      This is very curious. Any idea what's changed in the manufacturing process that warping is so common at low mileage? We are on our third Volvo, all wagons, and knock on wood this has never been an issue. I'm just surprised to hear this.

Quote Originally Posted by lensguy View Post
      This is very curious. Any idea what's changed in the manufacturing process that warping is so common at low mileage? We are on our third Volvo, all wagons, and knock on wood this has never been an issue. I'm just surprised to hear this.
      Itís a new generation complete different car and the brakes. Unfortunately somehow the parts selected ether by engineering or purchasing department in this application with some use condition creat this problem.

I guess the number of this happening is still low enough not to change the design or supplier but rather toss more parts at it.
      2020 V60 CC 1 of 4 Crystal white with Amber interior and the only 1 with parking assist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
      Itís a new generation complete different car and the brakes. Unfortunately somehow the parts selected ether by engineering or purchasing department in this application with some use condition creat this problem.

I guess the number of this happening is still low enough not to change the design or supplier but rather toss more parts at it.
      Sad when this happens. Volvo has spoiled me with its reliability and I hope this is not a foreboding with my new V60 CC. My wife has a 2013 xc70 with 85K and we are still on the original brakes all around with no issues. Now that I've cursed her car.....

Sad when this happens. Volvo has spoiled me with its reliability and I hope this is not a foreboding with my new V60 CC. My wife has a 2013 xc70 with 85K and we are still on the original brakes all around with no issues. Now that I've cursed her car.....
      Eh it's not the end of the world if this is the worst "common" issue this gen has.

FYI if you use pilot assist or radar-cruise control much that uses the rear brakes only so you will go through rear pads faster than the front. Just something to be aware of.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription

Eh it's not the end of the world if this is the worst "common" issue this gen has.

FYI if you use pilot assist or radar-cruise control much that uses the rear brakes only so you will go through rear pads faster than the front. Just something to be aware of.
      I canít imagine it uses rear brakes only as itís able to bring a car completely to a stop and fast.

Maybe itís the first brakes itís applying after a engine and transmission ďbrakingĒ but definitely not ONLY brakes it uses.

I canít imagine it uses rear brakes only as itís able to bring a car completely to a stop and fast.

Maybe itís the first brakes itís applying after a engine and transmission ďbrakingĒ but definitely not ONLY brakes it uses.
      Okay sure maybe not "only" but for most mild-maneuvers it's certainly primarily the rears. Wearing out the rears a lot faster is very commonly known and accepted due to this reason.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription

I had no idea - thanks for the heads up; first vehicle with pilot assist and adaptive cruise control.

Quote Originally Posted by polestardan View Post
      I did a little reading here on the forum and it looks like it isn't uncommon to have rotor warping at low mileage on these newer Volvos. I've got an S60 T6 Polestar, 8400 miles, and I'm getting fairly substantial vibration now under moderate braking above 40 MPH. Is this pretty common? Bought the car in August of last year and I'm worried I'm going to be just over the 1 year "adjustment" period for the warranty. I'm definitely not interested in shelling out the cash for new rotors on this lease.

Thoughts?
      My older gen V60 P* received new front rotors under warranty at around 2 years in (at around 10k miles) and as you probably know, the Polestar rotors are not cheap. The dealer told me that the front brake job on this car - rotors and pads would cost around $2.5k if the customer was paying.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Okay sure maybe not "only" but for most mild-maneuvers it's certainly primarily the rears. Wearing out the rears a lot faster is very commonly known and accepted due to this reason.
      Not sure where you getting this information.

The rear brakes usage increases with body stability (traction) but I have not heard that ACC Increase the wear on the rear pads.

Also, I got now 20k miles on the car 99% on highway with using ACC my brakes pads inspection was two weeks ago and they are perfectly fine.

So again not sure really where that comment is come from that ACC will cause additional pads wear in rear.

Thank you all for the insight. This is my second S60 lease and I love the car, but having warped rotors at 8k miles seemed really strange to me, so I thought I had better ask the experts.

Any advice if my dealer pushes back? Sounds like there's not enough instances of this out there for there to be a TSB on this, so not sure if there's something I can reference to show the service manager how common the issue is or if maybe they could call corporate and get some information?

I've got two local Volvo dealers I can call. The one downtown is notorious for not being great with customer service. I had the first oil change done at a dealer about 40 minutes from me, and they have a much better reputation. Maybe I'll start with them.

Thanks again.

Any advice if my dealer pushes back?
      I doubt you will get any push back. So many have reported they've had the rotors replaced, no questions asked. When I went in for my 10k service, I just mentioned the vibration under braking and they replaced all 4 rotors, under warranty. Volvo doesn't seem to give too much trouble over wear parts. I don't know at what point that kindness runs out.

The root issue is the pads, the new rotors will eventually warp again with the OEM pads. When the car is so new, it's your call on how many times you let it happen and get the dealer to replace the rotors. At some point you take matters in to your own hands and get some aftermarket pads. I swapped pads right after the 10k service, I've been through a whole set of pads, just swapped them again along with driving the car on 4 track nights stressing the rotors under high temps and the braking is still smooth as butter.

Not sure where you getting this information.

The rear brakes usage increases with body stability (traction) but I have not heard that ACC Increase the wear on the rear pads.
      Yeah I call shenanigans on that one. It seems to be message board tribal knowledge, one person makes a wild guess, others start repeating it and all of a sudden everyone "knows" something is true.

There doesn't seem to be any proof of it, and it doesn't make any logical sense although it is certainly possible.
      Last edited by Power6; 09-13-2020 at 11:02 PM.

They'll just replace the rotors. Don't worry.
      Apparently, at least I've been told this, the new ones are better and don't warp as much.
      FWIW, mine were warped by the first 1000 miles on the S60 and by 5K on XC60.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by rumyn View Post
      They'll just replace the rotors. Don't worry.
      Apparently, at least I've been told this, the new ones are better and don't warp as much.
      FWIW, mine were warped by the first 1000 miles on the S60 and by 5K on XC60.
      Next two weeks 6k more miles to be driven... will see and hope the new wonít warp so fast 🤪

My mom's S60 T6 now has 18,000 miles and is 11 months old. Typical wear items get addressed at 12 months/12,000. Anyone think her warped rotors would still be replaced under warranty?

If they vibrate they should be replaced.
      Maybe at 20K service?

Krzyś

Just talked to the local service manager. They acknowledged it's a major issue. I asked him if they see a lot of this and he said "we replace a lot more rotors on basically brand new cars than I'd like to admit."

I'm taking it in Thursday morning, they're replacing all 4 rotors under warranty. Thanks everyone.

My wife's 2019 XC60 T6 is on its 2nd set at 13k miles. And she doesn't drive that aggressive.

Just talked to the local service manager. They acknowledged it's a major issue. I asked him if they see a lot of this and he said "we replace a lot more rotors on basically brand new cars than I'd like to admit."

I'm taking it in Thursday morning, they're replacing all 4 rotors under warranty. Thanks everyone.
      Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by TonesGTO View Post
      My wife's 2019 XC60 T6 is on its 2nd set at 13k miles. And she doesn't drive that aggressive.
      That's why, when they stop replacing them for free, I'm getting aftermarket rotors and pads.
      It did wonders for my 2017 V60CC
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoFaRmeR View Post
      My mom's S60 T6 now has 18,000 miles and is 11 months old. Typical wear items get addressed at 12 months/12,000. Anyone think her warped rotors would still be replaced under warranty?
      Definitely give it a go. I believe many have reported that Volvo has replaced multiple sets of rotors. Most warranties do have a shorter period for wear parts and many mfrs stick hard to that, but it does seem Volvo is either generous or just knows the rotor warping is their issue and doesn't hassle owners about it.

I have a XC90 D5 and had to replace my back rotors at 50k km due to increasing vibrations. I am not sure it was due to warping. It could be irregularities in the surface of the rotors due to some reaction with the pads. I used to use the automatic braking at stand still most of the time. Every time you stop at a red light, the rear pads will remain applied to the hot rotors, resulting in irregular cooling. Now I don’t use the automatic braking anymore and the problem has not reappeared.

Just an “FYI” - my 2016 XC 60 came off the dealership lot with warped front rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by ludwigr View Post
      I have a XC90 D5 and had to replace my back rotors at 50k km due to increasing vibrations. I am not sure it was due to warping. It could be irregularities in the surface of the rotors due to some reaction with the pads. I used to use the automatic braking at stand still most of the time. Every time you stop at a red light, the rear pads will remain applied to the hot rotors, resulting in irregular cooling. Now I donít use the automatic braking anymore and the problem has not reappeared.
      Hi Ludwig - thanks for posting. I'm on my 3rd Volvo now, a V60 CC but I'm confused about the automatic braking at stand still. What is that exactly? When I come to stop sign or light I apply the brakes so how is that different? Perhaps I'm missing something about this generation of Volvo.

Hi Ludwig - thanks for posting. I'm on my 3rd Volvo now, a V60 CC but I'm confused about the automatic braking at stand still. What is that exactly? When I come to stop sign or light I apply the brakes so how is that different? Perhaps I'm missing something about this generation of Volvo.
      Once you come to a stop, the break is held automatically by the car so you can take your foot off the pedal.
      2020 V60 T5 Inscription Fusion Red Luxury and Advanced Package

My XC40 has warped front rotors at 8k and then again at 25k. Both times they were replaced for free. The service advisor said my rear brake pads should make it to 30k and then need replacing.

My first Volvo and Iím not impressed with the quality of parts used. When they start charging me Iím going to go to the aftermarket and find quality parts that last.
      My brideís - 2019 XC40 (July 2019 OSD), Momentum Mine - 2013 VW GTI Drivers Edition and 1996 VW GTI VR6 (bought new and still love it) Ours - 2008 Jeep GC Limited with a Hemi.

Warped rotors are in many cases a result of sloppy mechanics.

When wheels / tires are removed and replaced, for inspection, tire rotation, etc., the lug nuts should be tightened in a specific rotating pattern, to the manufacturers torque spec, with a torque wrench. Air wrenches are fine for removing lug nuts, the specific WRONG tool for re-applying them.

If you have uneven torque, you end up with a part under uneven stress. Add the heat which is the job of the brake rotor to accumulate and dissipate, you get warpage.

Sloppy / Lazy mechanics lead to part failures like this, which brings you back to the dealership, for MORE labor and parts costs.

I used to turn a wrench for a living, was taught this lesson 40+ years ago by an ethical mechanic, my boss in an independent shop. Now, when my cars are in for this type of work, I insist on observing the mechanic reinstall the wheels properly.

Hope this helps......
      -Red

RedLaig in this case it's 100% about the materials and pads used, nothing to do with installation. It's absolutely widespread and WELL KNOWN, we don't need to guess at the cause, we already know the cause.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by RedLaig View Post
      Warped rotors are in many cases a result of sloppy mechanics.

When wheels / tires are removed and replaced, for inspection, tire rotation, etc., the lug nuts should be tightened in a specific rotating pattern, to the manufacturers torque spec, with a torque wrench. Air wrenches are fine for removing lug nuts, the specific WRONG tool for re-applying them.

If you have uneven torque, you end up with a part under uneven stress. Add the heat which is the job of the brake rotor to accumulate and dissipate, you get warpage.

Sloppy / Lazy mechanics lead to part failures like this, which brings you back to the dealership, for MORE labor and parts costs.

I used to turn a wrench for a living, was taught this lesson 40+ years ago by an ethical mechanic, my boss in an independent shop. Now, when my cars are in for this type of work, I insist on observing the mechanic reinstall the wheels properly.

Hope this helps......
      This is very correct and was thought the same. As this is also additional way to creat warped rotors that partially was address with the rotor retaining bolt it is still a possibility. In this specific case it looks like the main contributing fact is the material sourced and itís application

Quote Originally Posted by schmitty8225 View Post
      Once you come to a stop, the break is held automatically by the car so you can take your foot off the pedal.
      Thanks schmitty - I guess this is something I need to disengage then, or change my driving habits. When I come to a stop it's because I HAVE my foot already on the brakes. And I keep my foot on the brake pedal until I'm ready to go. I don't need the car do that for me.

Thanks schmitty - I guess this is something I need to disengage then, or change my driving habits. When I come to a stop it's because I HAVE my foot already on the brakes. And I keep my foot on the brake pedal until I'm ready to go. I don't need the car do that for me.
      The option is really design for longer stops (EMEA lights are longer then USA) and in combination with engine auto/stop no need to keep the leg on the brake with engine off, say standing on long rail road crossing.

This is also helpful for people that some times (for whatever reason) lift the foot just a little and rear and the car in front of you as you did not notice the car is moving forward.

also consider women drivers with heels or just shorter legs or weaker legs no need to keep the foot on the brake when you are not moving.

This is also needed as our pilot assist will fully bring a car to a stop, keep it stopped, then with press of a button accelerate and go back to cruise speed with no move of a foot needed.

again the option is helpful... however, for every 6 million people that want a option there is 100 people that don't

cars are design for all ages, saxes, races, and markets there is always someone that wont need an option Alaska with vented seats / middle east and heated seats. ass long we have an option to turn every option off im okay with every option. I'm not okay with however options that are forced on you by some manufactures.
      Last edited by Kamil; 09-16-2020 at 06:47 PM.

The option is really design for longer stops (EMEA lights are longer then USA) and in combination with engine auto/stop no need to keep the leg on the brake with engine off, say standing on long rail road crossing.

This is also helpful for people that some times (for whatever reason) lift the foot just a little and rear and the car in front of you as you did not notice the car is moving forward.

also consider women drivers with heels or just shorter legs or weaker legs no need to keep the foot on the brake when you are not moving.

This is also needed as our pilot assist will fully bring a car to a stop, keep it stopped, then with press of a button accelerate and go back to cruise speed with no move of a foot needed.

again the option is helpful... however, for every 6 million people that want a option there is 100 people that don't

cars are design for all ages, saxes, races, and markets there is always someone that wont need an option Alaska with vented seats / middle east and heated seats. ass long we have an option to turn every option off im okay with every option. I'm not okay with however options that are forced on you by some manufactures.
      Thanks much for the quick and thorough reply Kamil - that's very helpful. I guess my biggest personal problem is not fully understanding all of the new tech. The sales force does not and cannot explain every little detail and nuance and even going through the manual and relating it to everyday driving takes substantial time. I learned "old school" the importance of keeping your foot on the brake but your comments make sense. I just need to explore the feature a bit more. - Stu

Thanks much for the quick and thorough reply Kamil - that's very helpful. I guess my biggest personal problem is not fully understanding all of the new tech. The sales force does not and cannot explain every little detail and nuance and even going through the manual and relating it to everyday driving takes substantial time. I learned "old school" the importance of keeping your foot on the brake but your comments make sense. I just need to explore the feature a bit more. - Stu
      Iím glad you found that helpful. Years working as a marketing product manager and traveling around the world helps me understand more about how people use products and how cars and other products are designed for masses. Itís also clear especially in North America that the sales force regardless of the current pandemic has always under their liver to understand the options in their cars and explaining it to the customer.

Think about it most of the time when you need to explain all the options to the customer the car is already sold so thereís no incentive for a sales guy to take an hour to explain to you everything because heís already looking for the next fish to catch

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast