Warped rotors? - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Warped rotors?

Quote Originally Posted by RICHER1 View Post
      Just an “FYI” - my 2016 XC 60 came off the dealership lot with warped front rotors.
      So did my 2017 V60CC. Almost all my Volvos P3 & SPA had it. They've replaced mine as late as 38K once.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rumyn View Post
      So did my 2017 V60CC. Almost all my Volvos P3 & SPA had it. They've replaced mine as late as 38K once.
      Right however keep in mind “off a dealership lot” means beat by everyone that test drives it... this is why I never buy a new “used” car from a lot.

The concept in USA is so funny to me. Let me buy this new car that 300 people drove and “tested “ at that point we would call that used outside USA LOL.
      2020 V60 CC 1 of 4 Crystal white with Amber interior and the only 1 with parking assist.

Quote Originally Posted by lensguy View Post
      Thanks schmitty - I guess this is something I need to disengage then, or change my driving habits. When I come to a stop it's because I HAVE my foot already on the brakes. And I keep my foot on the brake pedal until I'm ready to go. I don't need the car do that for me.
      I thought it was a silly tech until I went back to my truck and realized how nice it is. Kind of like driving a stick and just chilling at a light.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
      2020 V60 T5 Inscription Fusion Red Luxury and Advanced Package

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quick update for you all: rotors were replaced today under warranty. Service tech confirmed moderate warping on the fronts, minimal on rears. All 4 replaced for good measure at zero cost to me. Can't thank you all enough for the advice, insight, and engaging discussion. Funny enough, I was the first of two rotor replacements that were being done at my dealer today - the second was on a low-mileage 2019 XC90.

Over 20K and got all 4 rotors replaced under warranty. They know the rotors are garbage.

But since my pads were near replacement they would not warranty those. I guess I'm gonna take part of the blame because I knew it was vibrating like 12,000 miles ago and just didn't feel like dealing with it. At 8400 I bet they would do the rotors and pads.

Quote Originally Posted by justacopilot View Post
      Over 20K and got all 4 rotors replaced under warranty. They know the rotors are garbage.

But since my pads were near replacement they would not warranty those. I guess I'm gonna take part of the blame because I knew it was vibrating like 12,000 miles ago and just didn't feel like dealing with it. At 8400 I bet they would do the rotors and pads.
      Yep, that was the case. Full rotor and pad replacement on all 4 corners.

Volvo knows if they don't keep replacing them even out of warranty when they fail so quickly they'll face a class action over it so they just keep replacing them, much cheaper than the lawyers!
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

The part I don't get is surely going back and spec-ing a new pad that doesn't warp the rotors would solve this problem, but they don't seem to have done that. Perhaps the rotors are cheap enough that replacing them on complaint is the better financial option for Volvo. They only swapped my rotors, so I guess if they updated the pad they'd need to swap those too. But I wouldn't be back for a second set of rotors if they fixed the root issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
      Right however keep in mind “off a dealership lot” means beat by everyone that test drives it... this is why I never buy a new “used” car from a lot.

The concept in USA is so funny to me. Let me buy this new car that 300 people drove and “tested “ at that point we would call that used outside USA LOL.
      It had 4 miles on it.
      My 2016 S60 had 3 miles at delivery.
      But sure, you know better.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by rumyn View Post
      It had 4 miles on it.
      My 2016 S60 had 3 miles at delivery.
      But sure, you know better.
      there is no way that you had warped rotors at 4 miles
      2020 V60 CC 1 of 4 Crystal white with Amber interior and the only 1 with parking assist.

there is no way that you had warped rotors at 4 miles
      No, not at 4. But shortly after.
      This was to point out that your blanket assumption that cars get beat to $h!t before we buy them.
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by polestardan View Post
      I did a little reading here on the forum and it looks like it isn't uncommon to have rotor warping at low mileage on these newer Volvos. I've got an S60 T6 Polestar, 8400 miles, and I'm getting fairly substantial vibration now under moderate braking above 40 MPH. Is this pretty common? Bought the car in August of last year and I'm worried I'm going to be just over the 1 year "adjustment" period for the warranty. I'm definitely not interested in shelling out the cash for new rotors on this lease.

Thoughts?
      My 2019 S60 T6 is currently at 8380mi and I just set an appointment up for breaks and 1-yr service. Vibration when braking and squealing from rear when starting and driving at very low speeds (10-15mph). Dealer is going to give me a loaner so we'll see what happens.

Took my S60 T6 in for a rattle check and mentioned the shuddering from braking. They replaced my front rotors without hesitation. Like most have mention, Volvo seems to be aware of the rotor breakdown. Definitely worth it to bring it in for them to check if your car is still under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconStar972 View Post
      Took my S60 T6 in for a rattle check and mentioned the shuddering from braking. They replaced my front rotors without hesitation. Like most have mention, Volvo seems to be aware of the rotor breakdown. Definitely worth it to bring it in for them to check if your car is still under warranty.
      what is intresting is that some get all four and pads some get just front and others just the front rotors... i wonder if there is any logic to it or just up to the technician, the shop, or the owner and the complain?

Quote Originally Posted by FalconStar972 View Post
      what is intresting is that some get all four and pads some get just front and others just the front rotors... i wonder if there is any logic to it or just up to the technician, the shop, or the owner and the complain?
      There is a TSB to solve brake noise. Gives them 6 possible solutions that include changing different rotors and/or pads in front/rear or both.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...59061-9999.pdf

I'm not sure if they really do this but in practice the tech should be measuring the run-out of both the front and rear rotors. If the run-out on the rear rotors is within spec then they would not need to be replaced.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew742 View Post
      There is a TSB to solve brake noise. Gives them 6 possible solutions that include changing different rotors and/or pads in front/rear or both.

interesting however by this TSB the should replace my pads also and they only did rotors so in the end i think its based on the technician or service manager

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      I'm not sure if they really do this but in practice the tech should be measuring the run-out of both the front and rear rotors. If the run-out on the rear rotors is within spec then they would not need to be replaced.
      I agree as this should be the practice...however we have none that got rejected in that case there is no "specification" you complain you get new parts and what parts you get depends on something we don't know.

I agree as this should be the practice...however we have none that got rejected in that case there is no "specification" you complain you get new parts and what parts you get depends on something we don't know.
      How do you know that they aren't measuring run-out?
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      How do you know that they aren't measuring run-out?
      Just statistics ... If they would at least one of the times they would reject the claim.

There’s a time before you feel it and the run out is so big that they would warrantee it. It seems like anytime anybody complains they get new brakes including multiple times on the same car.

Totally anecdotal and I wouldn't know if it's true, but when Boston Volvo replaced my rotors the service advisor stated they checked the runout and replaced 4 rotors based on that.

They probably need some basis to diagnose, and I feel like putting it on the lift and checking the runout is easier than taking a ride to see if they feel what the customer feels. But I might be thinking of my particular dealer would be a PITA for them to get to an area they could get to highway speed to check a slight brake vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew742 View Post

interesting however by this TSB the should replace my pads also and they only did rotors so in the end i think its based on the technician or service manager
      I just got my vehicle back from service. Tech ended up replacing all pads and rotors. Vehicle just broke 9000mi. I wonder if I will have to do this again in one year. Almost exactly one year from manufacture. In service date was 9/28/19 and serviced 10/6/20

Purchased a used 2019 S60 with 9600 miles on Friday from Carvana, took it to get a PPI today at my local Volvo dealer and it needed new front and back rotors. No luck with getting it under warranty, said it was outside of the 1 year/12k mile adjustment warranty, ouch. Had the same problem with my XC40 but had it done when it was still covered. As someone else said the rotors they use on the SPA vehicles are not good.
      Last edited by pharmdtg; 10-06-2020 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pharmdtg View Post
      Purchased a used 2019 S60 with 9600 miles on Friday from Carvana, took it to get a PPI today at my local Volvo dealer and it needed new front and back rotors. No luck with getting it under warranty, said it was outside of the 1 year/12k mile adjustment warranty, ouch. Had the same problem with my XC40 but had it done when it was still covered. As someone else said the rotors they use on the SPA vehicles are not good.
      I would push back on this. It’s still under warranty and premature failure is not a “adjustment period “ worth a try good luck

I would push back on this. It’s still under warranty and premature failure is not a “adjustment period “ worth a try good luck
      could have something to do with not buying it from a volvo dealer, they'll be less likely to play ball
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      could have something to do with not buying it from a volvo dealer, they'll be less likely to play ball
      It’s done and over with now. I did wonder if it’s because I didn’t buy the car at the dealer, that dealers interpretation of handling warranty claims on the brakes or who knows what.

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      You are right, and I also thought about the same... sad but true

Quote Originally Posted by pharmdtg View Post
      It’s done and over with now. I did wonder if it’s because I didn’t buy the car at the dealer, that dealers interpretation of handling warranty claims on the brakes or who knows what.
      I’m could be (it shouldn’t) but it could be. Sometimes if you service for “adjustments “ at a dealership you did not buy it from you also gear attitude but then they will at least go and fixe it lol.

Huh that's like the first case reported where Volvo dealer has invoked the adjustments period on the warped rotors! If you had another dealer to go to might be worth checking with them. No mention where you purchased or anything, just you have a Volvo, under warranty. It's probably already been done but if the first service (10k) has not been done, when you take it in, just casually mention the braking vibration too.

As always must repeat here: it's not the rotors, it's the pads. So if you are on the hook for this, you'll need new rotors unless you opt to turn the ones you have, but also change the pads out for some aftermarket ones to prevent it from happening again.

32. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2