SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

'05 s40 t5 awd- P0243 AND P0017 CODES AFTER T.BELT/H.GASKET REPLACEMENT

752 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  J5T 
#1 ·
I recently changed the headgasket and timing belt (amongst other "while you're in theres") on my 2005 volvo s40 t6 awd (Car blew a headgasket due to coolant loss).

Regular Autozone OBD2 reader gives me the following generic codes:

-P0243 Turbo Wastegate Solenoid A (Bad MAF? Bad TCV? Wet K&N Cone Filter ruining MAF?)
-P0017 Crankshaft Position- Camshaft Position Correlation - Bank 1 Sensor B (Bad Exhaust Side Camshaft Sensor? Tooth off timing?)

-The car feels off. Massive loss of power (limp mode from bad TCV?). I don't feel any boost. Car takes forever to climb RPMs.

-Wet Compression Test shows all cylinders at 140-145.
-Timing seems to be as perfect as it can be. All marks align, will upload pictures when I can.
-There is continuity in both Camshaft Sensors.

Things I want to test/replace. Please advise best you know.

How can I test?

1) TCV
2) Camshaft Sensors (in case I did it wrong)
3) MAF
4) If Timing is correct

Should I replace?
1) TCV with a heavy duty IPD TCV (car is stock boost, for now, one day maybe more)
2) Camshaft Sensor (Exhaust)
3) MAF
4) Vacuum Lines from TCV/others

I did NOT:
1) Have these error codes before the overheating incident/ replacement
2) Have this little power before replacement
3) Visit an Official Volvo dealer to get specific codes

Thank you for any input.

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't replace anything at this time. You did the headgasket job yourself?

When there is a problem after a repair, usually that indicates a mistake in the work. I would double check everything related to the problems.

When you say timing is correct, does that mean you had the crankshaft lock peg in place and the camshaft locks lined up with the slots in the back of the camshafts with the timing marks on the timing gears all indicating perfect timing? Or did you only look at the marks on the front of the engine?

#3 ·
Usually this is because exhaust cam is off a tooth.

Could be other things but this is the most common symptom when one does a timing belt and then encounters low power problems.
Assuming no one ever separated the cam gears from the shafts, or if they did they used the proper camshaft locking tools to do so - there should be what...18 belt teeth between each of the camshaft gear timing notches? I think it was that, check earlier posts from here to find the exact number.

#4 ·
+1

18 teeth. It is tougher to do the P1 timing belts vs other Volvo I have done. Once I could one tooth off and had to go back and correct. Had lack of power and check engine light. I don't remember thee code but timing on one of the cams was off. Glück

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.