Water Spill and Amplifier - 2013 S60 T6 Premium Sound
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Water Spill and Amplifier - 2013 S60 T6 Premium Sound

Howdy y'all!

Help, and maybe a laugh from some!

So I am assuming the problem I have is with the amp under the passenger seat, but would like any other opinions or possibilities from others who may have had this problem. The root cause is a 15 year-old boy who didn't secure his water jug prior to departing for tennis practice, lol. The jug fell over, and the spout came off and I heard the water pouring out in the back seat. I do have WeatherTech mats, so much of the spill was contained, but not all of it. It managed to get into the amp as we started hearing static in the speakers. When I started the car again after dropping him off just a few miles later, there was no sound at all from the sound system. Nothing would come out of the speakers for any setting or scenario. My wife would get mad at me if I replaced the boy, so I guess I need to fix the car instead. And besides, the boy is usually otherwise a very good companion!

Unplugged the amp, couldn't even get the system to power on correctly. Plugged it back in (all 3 connectors) and the system powers on, screen looks normal, but no sound at all. We got everything we could soaked up and dried up, South Texas heat really helped with that. But still nothing.

What's the consensus? Should replacing the amp fix the problem? Or did something else short out and I need to (also) look elsewhere?

Thanks!

mike

2013 Volvo S60 T6 AWD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I would say the first step would be to remove the amp and open it up. You would be surprised how much moisture can be retained within the enclosure. Dry it out good and the look for corrosion on the PCB. If you see some clean it off with some rubbing alcohol and verify connectivity. Being so recent corrosion may not be an issue yet but water mixed with the chemicals used to solder components to a PCB create an acidic environment that can eat away copper PCB traces and component leads. Once dry and inspected try it out. If still dead you might be able to get a used one from a junk yard but I'm not sure if vehicle VIN is important for these. There are also places online that you can send vehicle electronics to for repair which would be cheaper than buying a new one from a dealer.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      I would say the first step would be to remove the amp and open it up. You would be surprised how much moisture can be retained within the enclosure. Dry it out good and the look for corrosion on the PCB. If you see some clean it off with some rubbing alcohol and verify connectivity. Being so recent corrosion may not be an issue yet but water mixed with the chemicals used to solder components to a PCB create an acidic environment that can eat away copper PCB traces and component leads. Once dry and inspected try it out. If still dead you might be able to get a used one from a junk yard but I'm not sure if vehicle VIN is important for these. There are also places online that you can send vehicle electronics to for repair which would be cheaper than buying a new one from a dealer.
      Water also leaves mineral deposits when it dries too. Either way, he needs to make sure all the water is removed and corrosion cleaned as you pointed out.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Vinegar on a q-tip is good for corrosion, I use it if I ever have a battery leaking in a electronic component...

Vinegar will neutralize an Alkaline spill such as found with leaky alkaline batteries because it's acidic. For an acidic spill you need something more alkaline such as baking soda. Using these products don't clean the corrosion just prevents further corrosion. The alcohol will help dry moister from under components on the PCB. I doubt a basic solution is needed in this circumstance, if the PCB is dried quickly.

We have a MB who's door functions started to fail. First it was the curtesy light then the light in window switches then the power window itself. I removed the door panal and located the controller, opened it and discovered it was wet inside. Had been for a while. There were copper traces eaten away and leads to a chip completely corroded to dust. I was planning to rebuild as the chip was something general purpose and PCB traces can be repaired with wire but I found a used controller with my options on ebay for a fair price and installed that. I also wrapped the controller in plastic before I installed it
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements