Software update messed up the autopilot
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Software update messed up the autopilot

I had just my car in for the brakes and service. As part of the service, they have updated the software of the car. I haven't used the car that much since I got it back but I for now I can tell that the Autopilot was affected negatively through this update.

First thing I noticed was that the intervals the autopilot is asking to touch the steering wheel have become significantly shorter. Right after I bought the car, I took it for a several hundert miles "break in" trip and used the autopilot for most of the time. The system worked at that time flawlessly and I thought the intervals I was asked to touch the steering wheel were quite appropriate. Now I have the feeling they almost dont want you to take the hands off anymore. Maybe it is too subjective but would be interested to hear if others had similar experience.

The other, more dangerous and not acceptable point I noticed was that the autopilot did not decelerate at two occasions while I was approaching stopped cars at a red light. The car even accelerated and short before I arrived at the other car (as I was about to brake myself), the auto brake alarm came on but I was anyway about to brake. That is pretty crazy and not acceptable. They should better test their software before they release those. Wondering if anyone else had similar experiences.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The update does make the interval shorter a lil but the 2nd issue you describing is been always like that since day one. When the autotpilot is on it does not react to stationary objects even if its the car. if the car senses movement and than the object (car) stops than it will react on time otherwise it reacts at the last moment. Same behavior with Benz bmw even early stages of Tesla . That Auto pilot 2.0 for you or w.e ver we have.
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

A few notes:

1.) It's a Volvo. It does not have Autopilot. It has Pilot Assist. (Much more appropriately named than Tesla's implementation, which suggests it can drive itself)

2.) It's not intended to be autonomous, which is why it reminds you to keep your hand on the wheel.

3.) If you are seeing the reminder to keep your hand on the wheel, you are doing it wrong.

4.) Always keep your hands on the wheel, and your eyes on the road. These features are fall-backs only if the driver messes up, they are not intended to replace the driver, even for short stints on the highway.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The MY20 V90 manual covers two scenarios for stationary objects, including stopped vehicles:
      - Your Vehicle under 20 mph (will stop); and
      - Your Vehicle 20 mph or more (will NOT stop) - see warning.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
      A fine MY16 XC90 T8
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 10 Sept. 2020 | 47K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls90 View Post
      The update does make the interval shorter a lil but the 2nd issue you describing is been always like that since day one. When the autotpilot is on it does not react to stationary objects even if its the car. if the car senses movement and than the object (car) stops than it will react on time otherwise it reacts at the last moment. Same behavior with Benz bmw even early stages of Tesla . That Auto pilot 2.0 for you or w.e ver we have.
      Thank you for the clarification, they cut the interval significantly. Before, you could really go (felt) quite long without touching the steering wheel. I guess now they want to really push the driver to use it as intended as pilot assist (the way the next post is talking about). If I would have known this, I would have not updated, but I guess it is the way it is.

For the second point I could have sworn that it was different, and the car had slow down even if the car in front was stationary, but it seem to be correct the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      The MY20 V90 manual covers two scenarios for stationary objects, including stopped vehicles:
      - Your Vehicle under 20 mph (will stop); and
      - Your Vehicle 20 mph or more (will NOT stop) - see warning.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
      A fine MY16 XC90 T8
      Thank you for sharing! This explains why I thought something is wrong. I might have been slower at first and now I know for sure I was over 30mph and therefore it didn't slow down! Is another inspiration to go a read the owners manual more in detail.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      A few notes:

1.) It's a Volvo. It does not have Autopilot. It has Pilot Assist. (Much more appropriately named than Tesla's implementation, which suggests it can drive itself)

2.) It's not intended to be autonomous, which is why it reminds you to keep your hand on the wheel.

3.) If you are seeing the reminder to keep your hand on the wheel, you are doing it wrong.

4.) Always keep your hands on the wheel, and your eyes on the road. These features are fall-backs only if the driver messes up, they are not intended to replace the driver, even for short stints on the highway.
      I hope this guy in the Video sees your post :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tSuBhXigqA

Quote Originally Posted by Jack2020 View Post

LOL
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack2020 View Post

Literally the first comment on this video (not mine)

dangerous.jpg

LOL
      Last edited by mattlach; 09-13-2020 at 09:48 PM.

I thought it was going to be this one, where the guy used an orange to trick the autopilot:

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements