Sell me on Bright Silver
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Sell me on Bright Silver

New to Volvo but been lurking here for a while. We're test driving a 2021 T8 XC60 on Friday, and our dealership just added one to their inventory that has all the packages we want, EXCEPT - it's Bright Silver. Currently coming from a bright red VW Golf, the silver seems so boring to me. And I haven't been able to find a lot of pictures of what the silver looks like. Originally was going to just go with the Ice White or Fusion Red. (Love the Bursting Blue but not sure upgrade to R Design is worth it just for the color). We don't NEED the car asap, but it would be nice to drive one off the lot rather than wait for a special order. Anyone got any great pics of their Bright Silver XC60 to share?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Here are few pics from our forum members. My all other cars are silver or Titanium and we love it. However color preferences are really subjective, check out in person and decide.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post7383693

2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by PSamy View Post
      However color preferences are really subjective, check out in person and decide.
      Totally agree. Having said that though, I was between Bright Silver and Osmium Grey for my R-Design. Liked
      the way the black accents looked on a silver backdrop, but I personally felt that Bright Silver lacked depth and just looked washed out. My opinion would be to wait or go for the R-Design.
      2020 XC60 T5 AWD R-Design Osmium Grey | Charcoal

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

They should bring back electric silver.
      Hers - 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription via OSD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

Ooooh, that's my car! I live in Phoenix, so I did not want a dark color and figure this helps to keep it a bit cooler in the summer.

I also came from an XC60 that was Passion Red, I really do miss that color, but this works out OK.

For the most part cars today have such a limited range of colors anyway.
      Current - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription - Bright Silver - Amber Interior
      Previous - 2013 XC60 T6 R-Design - Passion Red - Black/Beige Sport Interior

Had a 2019 XC90 T6 R Design in Passion Red ... loved the color, but was surrendered a few months back as a lemon.
      Decided to down size with an XC60, but spring time car hunting during pandemic proved a bit tough and the colors I wanted were all out of state (did not want to get involved with out of state purchase vs local registration, taxes/fees, etc with DMV on limited hours). Test drove a 2020 XC60 T8 R-Design in Bright Silver Metallic locally and it surprisingly made an impression on me (not just for the driving experience, but color as well).
      Included some very basic, "in the wild" photos taken prior to soot and ash raining down upon us daily on the west coast. Have blacked out rear emblems and exhaust tips. Will be doing same to silver plastic trim around front grille and powder coating wheels in black as well. Think it will play off BSM nicely once project is complete.

Honestly, I really do miss the red ... silver turned out to be a surprisingly fun decision.

That looks great with the black trim and load bar rails and mirrors. The front grill almost looks lost on your XC60. I’d “fix” that too.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey54 View Post
      100% Volvo's best Silver to this day. Click on the link in my sig for the XC60 to see the awesome Blue flake in action!

I wish they would but I guess Volvo doesn't like good colors anymore.
      Now 2011 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD Executive with Luxury Package. Premium Electric Silver Metallic on Soft Beige Sovereign Hide. 125k. 2011- The Last V8
      2011.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD with Technology Package. Premium Electric Silver Metallic on SandSoft Beige. 105K. 2011-

Then 2005 Volvo S40 2.4i with Sport Package. Black on Dark Beige. (2005-2010)
      2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD with Premium Package. Titanium Gray Metallic on Light Taupe. (2005-2011)
      Both of these I assume are still trotting around Germany.

These pics are super helpful! Thanks all! Hopefully I'll love it when I see it in person!

woah. I never thought I'd say this but R-Design in silver looks great.
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo S60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      woah. I never thought I'd say this but R-Design in silver looks great.
      PML’s pictures having me reconsidering my opinion as well. Sure wish Volvo made all the trim black (including lettering and rear bumper cover). Sad that they left out the grille for MY2020. I was disappointed when I saw MY2021 and wished I waited a few months to get mine.
      Last edited by tooth32; 09-15-2020 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tooth32 View Post
      PML’s pictures having me reconsidering my opinion as well. Sure wish Volvo made all the trim black (including lettering and rear bumper cover). Sad that they left out the grille for MY2020. I was disappointed when I saw MY2021 and wished I waited a few months to get mine.
      nothing that some plastidip couldnt fix (at least for the badges)
      but I too am of the opinion that black (r-design) looks way better than silver (inscription)
      on the other hand the silver on inscription has a more luxurious feel, kinda like a silver lining
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo S60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

I'm not a silver fan. I agree its a boring color. In fact, I find a lot of the Volvo colors to be dull. I dislike most shades of gray as well.

Bursting blue is definitely my favorite XC60 color. I could also live with Pine gray (which I have), Denim blue, and MAYBE Fusion Red.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey54 View Post
      My 2018 XC60 is electric silver. I love this color! Lease is up in 11 months and I'm not sure what I'm going to do without it
      2018 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription. Electric Silver Metallic, Black Interior, Convenience, Vision, Advanced, Heated, B&W.

Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      nothing that some plastidip couldnt fix (at least for the badges)
      but I too am of the opinion that black (r-design) looks way better than silver (inscription)
      on the other hand the silver on inscription has a more luxurious feel, kinda like a silver lining
      I always worry about the durability of plastidip or wraps... I routinely drive long distances (already have too many rock chips on my front end to count). Do they hold up well to heavy driving?

Quote Originally Posted by pshifrin View Post
      My 2018 XC60 is electric silver. I love this color! Lease is up in 11 months and I'm not sure what I'm going to do without it
      You can always buy it at the end of the lease
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

Talked to the husband, showed him the pics. He's also not a fan of the silver, but I couldn't sell him on the Bursting Blue! So now the front runner is an Ice White R Design. I'll keep pushing for the blue though Thanks again for the pics!

I think the bursting blue is gorgeous but that's me.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

Quote Originally Posted by KezzaMcDezza View Post
      Talked to the husband, showed him the pics. He's also not a fan of the silver, but I couldn't sell him on the Bursting Blue! So now the front runner is an Ice White R Design. I'll keep pushing for the blue though Thanks again for the pics!
      White 2020+ R looks dope.

I had an XC90 Inscription in bright silver. It’s was beautiful. Easy color to maintain as well.
      2020 Tesla Model Y LR AWD FSD
      Past Volvo’s: 2016 V60 T5 Platinum FWD, 2016 XC90 T6 Inscription, 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription

I really liked the Electric Silver as far as silvers go ... that went out the window when they made it Bright Silver for the XC60 as well. I don't love the Volvo color choices in general and we ended up with the metallic white (blanking on the name now) and I do think it looks nice, but it was kind of a default choice.

Test drive was awesome! I have a major crush on this car. We drove an Inscription Expression (this is so confusing..why not just keep Momentum name?) because it had the Advanced Package, and also an R Design that didn't have Advanced, but did have Polestar and 21" wheels. I was a little worried if the 21" wheels would feel rough on the road, but they didn't bother me at all. But I'm also coming from a 2008 VW Rabbit where I can feel every little pebble, so anything will be an improvement I imagine. A dealer nearby has a Crystal White R Design with all the packages we want, plus Polestar and 21" wheels. Don't necessarily need those but if the price is right we'll probably just go for it. There's nothing coming down the pipe that we're interested in for our dealer and we'd prefer to avoid a special order if possible. Taking the weekend to think about it, but feeling good about it right now!

Another fan of Electric Silver here. I've had silver cars for many years, simply because they're highly visible and don't show the dirt very much. But this is certainly the best looking one.

XC60 delivery.jpg
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by KezzaMcDezza View Post
      Test drive was awesome! I have a major crush on this car. We drove an Inscription Expression (this is so confusing..why not just keep Momentum name?) because it had the Advanced Package, and also an R Design that didn't have Advanced, but did have Polestar and 21" wheels. I was a little worried if the 21" wheels would feel rough on the road, but they didn't bother me at all. But I'm also coming from a 2008 VW Rabbit where I can feel every little pebble, so anything will be an improvement I imagine. A dealer nearby has a Crystal White R Design with all the packages we want, plus Polestar and 21" wheels. Don't necessarily need those but if the price is right we'll probably just go for it. There's nothing coming down the pipe that we're interested in for our dealer and we'd prefer to avoid a special order if possible. Taking the weekend to think about it, but feeling good about it right now!
      My first choice for my V90 had been Silver, but the car was damaged. I ended up with a Crystal White V90 and it looks sharp. Either color would be a good choice as long as you like it.
      Hers: 2019 S60 T5 R-Design FWD | Pebble Gray / Charcoal, Napa Leather | 18” R-Design Wheels | Heated Seats and Steering Wheel | Rubber Floor Mats

His: 2018 V90 T5 R-Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R-Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

We pulled the trigger on the Crystal White R-Design today! Will post pics after it's delivered on Monday. We declined all of the protection plans offered by the financing guy. But looking at the forums. it seems we may want to look into at least tire/wheel coverage and possibly windshield coverage. Looks like people here tend to buy from Steingold. Thoughts on these plans? We are doing a 3 year lease if that makes any difference.

You should have full coverage on your XC60 as part of the lease requirements. This would include glass repair/replacement less your deductible, if any.

I have tire and wheel and have used it once.
      Hers: 2019 S60 T5 R-Design FWD | Pebble Gray / Charcoal, Napa Leather | 18” R-Design Wheels | Heated Seats and Steering Wheel | Rubber Floor Mats

His: 2018 V90 T5 R-Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R-Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

29. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements