V90 / V90 CC Tailgate Open/Close Issues?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 13 of 13
    1. #1
      Junior Member B-SIDE's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2016
      Location
      Miami
      Posts
      79

      Question V90 / V90 CC Tailgate Open/Close Issues?

      Just wondering how many other owners have random opening / closing issues with their tailgate / trunk?

      Even when there is nothing in the trunk and it's not near a wall or anything affecting the sensors the rear tailgate / trunk randomly does not want to open or close when using the remote or the under bumper sensor.

      I would manually have to press the handle on to open or start to push it down gently to engage the auto close.

      This is my 1st car with this feature so I'm still trying to see if it's bug or a known issue with automatic feature?

      Thanks in advance.
      Current : 2019 V90 R-Design P* - Full R-D package + Integrated Rear Booster Seats / Borla Exhaust / K&N Filter / Chrome Delete / Ceramic Pro on Electric Silver Metallic Paint / 98% De-badged (+ other minor customizations)
      Former : 2015 V60 P* (aftermarket Wheels / Exhaust / K&N Filter) Blackout + other minor customizations

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Location
      Los Angeles, CA
      Posts
      300
      When it won't close because of the remote, is the remote in your pocket with a phone or are you holding it? If mine is in a pocket with a phone then it won't close and lock if you push the right button. The foot sensor is hit or miss for me at times.

      Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
      Current:
      2018 V90CC ,Osmium Grey / Blond, Luxury Package, Heads Up Display, B&W Sound, Trailer Hitch, Convenience Package, Polestar - "Julia" ,August 2017 OSD
      1987 Ferrari Testarossa - "Scarlett"
      2003 Porsche 911 - "Sally"

      Sold:
      1987 Mercedes 300TD - "Veggie" ran off vegetable oil.
      2002 V70XC - "Lisbeth" - Sold 4/14/2018 with 130,202 miles.

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Location
      Harrison, Maine
      Posts
      355
      Never had an issue with the fob. But the foot sensor is fickle. I find if you don't step back far enough after the kicking movement, it won't open. Yet, I've been standing very close to the bumper arranging items in the cargo area--definitely not stepping back--and the hatch has started to close on me. Go figure....

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member B-SIDE's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2016
      Location
      Miami
      Posts
      79
      Quote Originally Posted by kartboy1234 View Post
      When it won't close because of the remote, is the remote in your pocket with a phone or are you holding it? If mine is in a pocket with a phone then it won't close and lock if you push the right button. The foot sensor is hit or miss for me at times.

      Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
      I never carry my FOB and phone in the same hand or pocket. (I've worked in the Pro Audio / Electronics business all of my life so I always try to minimize interference) LOL.
      But even when in my hand sometimes the foot sensor and FOB work to I initiate opening, but as the door starts to open something triggers and it closes immediately. I'd say about 2 seconds after it starts to open. This happens about 6 or 7 out of 10 times.
      I'm guessing I will let the dealer know on my next visit.

      Thanks

      Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
      Current : 2019 V90 R-Design P* - Full R-D package + Integrated Rear Booster Seats / Borla Exhaust / K&N Filter / Chrome Delete / Ceramic Pro on Electric Silver Metallic Paint / 98% De-badged (+ other minor customizations)
      Former : 2015 V60 P* (aftermarket Wheels / Exhaust / K&N Filter) Blackout + other minor customizations

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2019
      Location
      St. Paul, MN
      Posts
      35
      One thing I've noticed is that if I'm parked nose down on a steep incline, the hatch will pop and then close right away. My assumption is that the steep angle alters the resultant gravitational force, tricking it to think it's hit an obstruction. Note, this is a really steep, hill-descent-control kind of driveway.

    8. #6
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      312
      Quote Originally Posted by B-SIDE View Post
      I never carry my FOB and phone in the same hand or pocket. (I've worked in the Pro Audio / Electronics business all of my life so I always try to minimize interference) LOL.
      But even when in my hand sometimes the foot sensor and FOB work to I initiate opening, but as the door starts to open something triggers and it closes immediately. I'd say about 2 seconds after it starts to open. This happens about 6 or 7 out of 10 times.
      I'm guessing I will let the dealer know on my next visit.

      Thanks

      Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
      Not to be difficult but I always keep my cellphone and remote on the same pocket (wallet and remote are too large to be on the same pocket, I have a compact Sony phone) and I never have any issues with the car.

      Having said that, the issue I sometimes have is that some times the tailgate won't close (only beep) when I click the right button (close + lock). I haven't found the pattern or reason why it sometimes just denies to do it. Even at those times if I just press the close button or use kick it will close though.

      For the kick sensor, make cure your foot is about 2-4" to the right of your left tail pipe.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    9. #7
      Member Gary-16-Xc90's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Twin Cities, MN
      Posts
      3,256
      Quote Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
      ...
      Having said that, the issue I sometimes have is that some times the tailgate won't close (only beep) when I click the right button (close + lock). I haven't found the pattern or reason why it sometimes just denies to do it. Even at those times if I just press the close button or use kick it will close though....
      Does “Close” work after you tried “Close+Lock”?

      I have found that the car will not lock from the tailgate if the FOB is not within 2-3 feet of the tailgate, or your active Key FOB is inside the front cabin, car is running with a passenger inside, et al. I have narrowed down the details to isolate the controlling factors, except the Key FOB must be within 2-3 of the tailgate sensor.



      All the best from Minnesota USA,
      A fine MY16 XC90 T8
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 10 Sept. 2020 | 47K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

    10. #8
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      312
      Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      Does “Close” work after you tried “Close+Lock”?

      I have found that the car will not lock from the tailgate if the FOB is not within 2-3 feet of the tailgate, or your active Key FOB is inside the front cabin, car is running with a passenger inside, et al. I have narrowed down the details to isolate the controlling factors, except the Key FOB must be within 2-3 of the tailgate sensor.



      All the best from Minnesota USA,
      A fine MY16 XC90 T8
      Yes, "Close" works fine. "Close+Lock" has randomly failed (beep) even with key on hand, I've verified doors and sunroof to ensure they're closed. It is a mystery to me so far.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    11. #9
      Junior Member ru1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2019
      Location
      Europe
      Posts
      105
      Quote Originally Posted by B-SIDE View Post
      ...but as the door starts to open something triggers and it closes immediately. I'd say about 2 seconds after it starts to open.
      the 2 door "things" on the sides (bumpers or hydraulics) need to be lubricated.
      RU1
      -------------------------------------
      2019 - VOLVO V90CC T6 VOR

    12. #10
      Junior Member B-SIDE's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2016
      Location
      Miami
      Posts
      79
      Quote Originally Posted by ru1 View Post
      the 2 door "things" on the sides (bumpers or hydraulics) need to be lubricated.
      Thanks that was my next attempt at 'fixing it myself'
      I'll try some CLP like Gunzilla, LOL

      Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
      Current : 2019 V90 R-Design P* - Full R-D package + Integrated Rear Booster Seats / Borla Exhaust / K&N Filter / Chrome Delete / Ceramic Pro on Electric Silver Metallic Paint / 98% De-badged (+ other minor customizations)
      Former : 2015 V60 P* (aftermarket Wheels / Exhaust / K&N Filter) Blackout + other minor customizations

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      40
      Quote Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
      Not to be difficult but I always keep my cellphone and remote on the same pocket (wallet and remote are too large to be on the same pocket, I have a compact Sony phone) and I never have any issues with the car.

      Having said that, the issue I sometimes have is that some times the tailgate won't close (only beep) when I click the right button (close + lock). I haven't found the pattern or reason why it sometimes just denies to do it. Even at those times if I just press the close button or use kick it will close though.

      For the kick sensor, make cure your foot is about 2-4" to the right of your left tail pipe.
      I have a similar issue. At seemingly random times, the tailgate would not close with the lock button - but will close and lock via the remote button. This only happened intermittently. I'm guessing it's when the key fob battery was marginal - so the car can't detect where the key is, unless a key is pressed, so won't lock.

      I hardly ever use the kick to open feature because it's very inconsistent for me. If I'm loaded up with stuff to carry - I'll usually just open the hatch remotely before I even load myself up using the key fob.

    14. #12
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Posts
      747
      Quote Originally Posted by VLD1 View Post
      Never had an issue with the fob. But the foot sensor is fickle. I find if you don't step back far enough after the kicking movement, it won't open. Yet, I've been standing very close to the bumper arranging items in the cargo area--definitely not stepping back--and the hatch has started to close on me. Go figure....
      "You step back so you don't get the tailgate in your face". I just did it 10 times without stepping back and it opens so the step back is not a requirement for tailgate opening.

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2020
      Location
      Central NJ - USA
      Posts
      51
      Quote Originally Posted by CedarMtn View Post
      I have a similar issue. At seemingly random times, the tailgate would not close with the lock button - but will close and lock via the remote button. This only happened intermittently. I'm guessing it's when the key fob battery was marginal - so the car can't detect where the key is, unless a key is pressed, so won't lock.

      I hardly ever use the kick to open feature because it's very inconsistent for me. If I'm loaded up with stuff to carry - I'll usually just open the hatch remotely before I even load myself up using the key fob.
      Agree 100% with your "inconsistent" comment. I've owned my 2020 V90 Inscription for 3 months and can only recall two times where the kick-to-open feature worked for me. Just today, my wife thought I was having an epileptic episode while trying to kick open the rear hatch with my hands full with bags (LOL).

    16. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. Tailgate locked in open position - wont close
      By afifteen in forum XC60 (2010 - 2017)
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 09-11-2020, 01:59 AM
    2. Tailgate hard to get to open with tailgate touch handle FIX
      By cattlecar in forum XC60 (2010 - 2017)
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 02-11-2020, 09:57 AM
    3. Open and close tailgate with remote
      By SkrewiE in forum V70 & XC70 (2008 - 2016)
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 05-20-2019, 02:30 PM
    4. Automatic open and close of the tailgate
      By exm in forum XC90 (SPA: 2016 - )
      Replies: 44
      Last Post: 01-11-2018, 03:00 PM
    5. Replies: 3
      Last Post: 10-21-2014, 06:57 PM